Associate Provost for
Experience-Based Learning and Career Education
University of Cincinnati
The University of Cincinnati invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate Provost of Experience-Based Learning and Career Education (ELCE) reporting to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs. As the birthplace of cooperative education since 1906, the University of Cincinnati remains a global leader in the field of experience-based learning and career education. We are seeking an inspiring and innovative leader with the energy and expertise to continue the positive trajectory of the University by integrating and expanding ELCE at the University of Cincinnati. The University of Cincinnati is classified as a Research University (Very High Research Activity) by the Carnegie Commission and is ranked as one of America’s top 35 public research universities by the National Science Foundation. UC jumped 17 spots in the U.S. News & World Report rankings in the past two years alone. In addition to being named a “green university” by Princeton Review, UC has been named one of the world’s most beautiful campuses by Forbes and Delta Sky magazines. Learn more at www.uc.edu .
The University of Cincinnati currently places more than 6,000 students in co-op as part of 14,000 students annually in experiential learning (EL), including coops, internships, clinicals, student teaching, UC Forward: the Innovation Collaborative , student teaching, performance, exhibition, student research, service learning, and study abroad. The University’s general education curriculum requires all baccalaureate students to participate in EL and will soon include explicit career education outcomes. We are committed to being a leader in ELCE and the Associate Provost for ELCE in partnership with the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs is responsible for overall leadership in achieving this goal.
The Associate Provost for ELCE serves as a member of the undergraduate affairs leadership team under the supervision of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs. The Associate Provost will work closely with the Deans and other university administrators to strategically collaborate with faculty as well as corporate and community partners to expand and enhance the quality of ELCE. The Associate Provost will supervise a team of faculty and staff and is responsible for a budget of over $4M annually and accounts for annual student earnings from coop of $65 million. The Division was recently created through a merger between Career Services and The Division for Professional Practice and Experiential Learning and now serves as a fully integrated career preparation hub within the University of Cincinnati. Within a thriving culture of collaboration, the division provides students, employers and partners a single point of contact for experience-based learning opportunities and transition-to-career services. To accommodate its new expanded mission and size, the Division will begin moving into a newly renovated modern space during 2018.
The success of this ambitious and highly visible division will require a leader with vision, considerable skills in change management, outstanding relationship-building qualities, and an entrepreneurial spirit. We are looking for candidates that come from an academic background and/or with experience in executive leadership in the private or public sector. The successful candidate will demonstrate: a) the potential for success to support ELCE within a shared governance academic environment, b) proven success working collaboratively across a diverse organization, c) a sophisticated understanding of the impact of EL on student learning in higher education
- Advance the University of Cincinnati preeminence in Experience-Based Learning and Career Education (ELCE), building from our rich history as the birthplace of cooperative education.
- Collaborates with multiple constituencies to develop and implement plans to advance ELCE consistent with the mission, vision and strategic priorities of the University.
- Lead and develop a thriving division of more than 60 faculty and staff. Including reappointment, promotion, and tenure oversight, professional development, workload policy, budget, and administration.
- Ensures that appropriate policies, personnel, systems, technology and resources are in place to ensure high quality ELCE instruction and service.
- Works with constituencies throughout the University to ensure high quality services to support student success in ELCE programs.
- Collaborates with the colleges, student affairs, and advising to integrate ELCE appropriately throughout all student experiences.
- Drive development of innovative models of experiential learning.
- Works with the deans of the colleges to ensure that high quality ELCE programs and services are sustainable.
- Works with faculty both internally and cross-campus to enhance the quality of ELCE offerings through the adoption of best practices.
- Builds relationships with key community and corporate constituencies locally, nationally, and globally.
- Participates in relevant University policy and planning committees and meetings.
- Serve as part of the leadership team for undergraduate affairs and advance the mission and vision of that unit as assigned by the Vice Provost of Undergraduate Affairs.
- Experience and success developing collaborative relationships that is translatable to a shared governance academic environment.
- Experience with developing and coordinating effectively a diverse portfolio of responsibilities.
- Knowledge of leading issues, trends, and best practices in ELCE to support student learning.
- Knowledge of professional development.
- Experience using technologies to drive innovation in a complex organization.
- Evidence of the ability to build and sustain a highly functioning team.
- Evidence of budget and fiscal experience and accountability, with the demonstrated ability to develop and manage expense and revenue budgets for ELCE programs.
- Demonstrated successes in developing and implementing business, strategic and operating plans.
- Demonstrated ability to collaboratively work with diverse groups such as deans, faculty, students, Enrollment Management, Student Affairs, Marketing, corporate and community partners.
- Strong analytic, problem-solving, written and oral communication and presentation skills; flexibility, responsiveness, and impeccable follow-through.
- An understanding of, and commitment to support, the Vision, Mission, and Values of the University.
- Strong commitment to academic quality, with the ability to work with the Provost’s team.
- Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
- A Master’s Degree.
- A Terminal Degree appropriate to the applicant's academic field of expertise or executive leadership experience.
- Proven success with organizational change management.
- A record of research, scholarly and creative activity or equivalent corporate experience suitable for a faculty appointment in one of the disciplines of the University.
- Experience teaching or leadership in work-integrated learning.
- At least five years of successful administrative experience.
- Experience managing budgets in excess of $1M
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.
SF:OMJ SF:OOD SF:VA SF:INS SF:IND; SF:INS
Care Coordinator Victory Parkway Uc Health Ambulatory Primary Care Cpc+, UC Health, United States, 3 days ago
Care Coordinator - Victory Parkway - UC Health Ambulatory - Primary Care - CPC+( Job Number: 045305) Description Primary Purpose: The Care Coordinator functions as an integral part of the Clinical...
Nurse Specialist Uc Health Harvey Psychiatry, UC Health, United States, 7 days ago
Nurse Specialist- UC Health Harvey- Psychiatry( Job Number: 045159) Description Primary Purpose: Observe, assess, and record symptoms, reactions, and progress, which provides the basis for care p...
Clinical Program Coordinator Uc Health Mab Neurology, UC Health, United States, 11 days ago
Clinical Program Coordinator- UC Health MAB- Neurology( Job Number: 045303) Description Primary Purpose: The Clinical Program Coordinator will serve as departmental support for any clinical or non...
Clinical Team Lead Uc Medical Center Nicu, UC Health, United States, 4 days ago
Clinical Team Lead - UC Medical Center - NICU( Job Number: 045535) Description Primary Purpose: Is a recognized leader in the assigned department under the direction of the nurse manager. Assumes ...
It Desktop Technician Uc Health Physicians Is&T, UC Health, United States, 2 days ago
IT Desktop Technician - UC Health Physicians - IS&T( Job Number: 045769) Description Title: IT Desktop Technician Location: UC Physicians Department: IS&T Hours: Full Time Shift: Day Primary Purpo...
Cardiac Sonographer Uc Health Medical Arts Building Internal Medicine, UC Health, United States, about 11 hours ago
Cardiac Sonographer - UC Health Medical Arts Building - Internal Medicine( Job Number: 045519) Description Primary Purpose: Perform all echocardiographic diagnostic modalities with the ability to ...