Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
The Division of Advancement and Alumni Engagement utilizes resources and technology for the purpose of soliciting alumni, donor engagement, donor research, and stewardship throughout Emory University and Health Systems. Our mission is to inspire and steward meaningful, lasting relationships that elevate engagement and giving to fulfill Emory’s mission to serve humanity. The Engagement, Communications & Marketing team for the division of Advancement and Alumni Engagement connects alumni to the university and each other, builds traditions, and fosters student and alumni leadership. The Content and Creative Strategy team consist of writers, designers, strategists, creators, and content marketers with a passion to engage and persuade donors to invest in the work of Emory. This position, which will report to the Senior Director of Editorial Content, will partner with fundraisers across academic and health sciences schools and units to cultivate, solicit, and steward major and principal donors through persuasive writing.
- Serves as a project manager and writer for communications produced by Advancement and Alumni Engagement including gift proposals, stewardship and fund reporting, articles for publications, web content, philanthropic or alumni-centric collateral, and strategic donor relations reporting. Interviews alumni, donors, technical experts, and researchers for content.
- May develop complex proposals and stewardship reports for major gift prospects in partnership with development officers.
- Proposals and reports may span multiple schools/units.
- Responsible for managing all components of communication projects and process from start to finish.
- Identifies opportunities for and writes news releases and articles for publications.
- Writes and/or edits materials consistent with strategic initiatives and objectives of Advancement and Alumni Engagement.
- Contributes content to the communications team and helps coordinate coverage to serve the strategic communications needs of the division.
- May edit/review content created by other staff.
- Performs related responsibilities as assigned.
ADDITIONAL JOB DETAILS:
In addition to the duties outlined above, the Associate Director may be required to:
- Translate scientific and academic information and language into understandable messaging to engage prospects to support Emory through philanthropy.
- Collaborate with fundraisers and graphic designers to develop creative briefs and timelines at the outset of projects.
- Manage projects from intake to completion, coordinating with stakeholders to ensure deadlines are meet and projects are completed efficiently and successfully.
- Use project management software (currently Wrike) to keep project status and information up to date and to collaborate with graphic designers.
- A bachelor's degree and three years of professional experience journalism, higher education, non-profit, or related environment OR an equivalent combination of experience, education and/or training.
- Outstanding skills in writing, editing, interviewing, and oral presentation.
- Must have the ability to organize, set priorities, and manage several projects at once with minimal supervision.
- Must demonstrate the ability to write journalistically at a sophisticated level, including mastery of the English language.
- Successful candidates will possess superb writing, editing, interviewing, and oral presentation skills.
- Experience in journalism, storytelling, with philanthropic, advancement, donor recognition, research, or
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills with the ability to manage multiple
projects simultaneously and navigate a complex work environment.
- Commitment to delivering excellent customer service, the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, and comfort working with ambiguity.
- Possess a high level of professionalism and commitment to confidentiality with sound judgment and discretion.
- Experience working with various technologies including strong skills in Adobe Creative Suite, advanced knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Suite, project management software, and CRM systems.
- Prior experience in advancement, fundraising, alumni engagement, non-profit, or a university setting.
- Flexibility to accommodate changing priorities and deadlines.
NOTE: This role will be granted the opportunity to work from home regularly but must be able to commute to Emory University on a flexible weekly schedule based upon business needs. Schedule is based on agreed upon guidelines of department of work. Emory reserves the right to change remote work status with notice to employee.
The COVID-19 vaccine or an approved exemption is currently only required for individuals working in a clinical setting. For more information on the University or Hospital policies, including exemptions, please see our website.
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322.
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration!
Development Assistant Specialist, Office Of The Associate Vice President And Dean Of Development, Faculty Of Arts And Sciences, Harvard University, United States, 9 days ago
18-Sep-2023 Alumni Affairs and Development 63695BR Job Summary Alumni Affairs and Development is a dedicated team supporting Harvard’s advancement activity through front-line fundraising, alumni a...
Institutional Advancement Content Research Writer, Ave Maria University, United States, about 9 hours ago
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Ave Maria University’s Marketing and Communications (UMC) team seeks applications for a writer to join our team in conceptualizing, writing, and editing compelling content for our...
Director Of Development, Athletics, Faculty Of Arts And Sciences, Harvard University, United States, about 7 hours ago
28-Sep-2023 Alumni Affairs and Development 63941BR Job Summary Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) Alumni Affairs and Development is a dedicated team supporting Harvard’s advancement activity th...
Advancement Officer, McGill University, Canada, about 21 hours ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...
Job Opportunity: Assistant Or Associate Teaching Professor Of Biology, Anatomy & Physiology, Emory University, Atlanta, Ga, Vanderbilt University, United States, about 6 hours ago
Posted by Kate Stuart on Wednesday, September 27, 2023 in Job Opportunities . The Department of Biology at Emory University invites applications for a teaching track faculty...
Director Of Development, Major Gifts, Faculty Of Arts And Sciences, Harvard University, United States, 18 days ago
06-Sep-2023 Alumni Affairs and Development 63719BR Job Summary Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) Alumni Affairs and Development is a dedicated team supporting Harvard’s advancement activity th...