NYU is committed to being a welcoming campus community that reflects and enacts the values of inclusion, diversity, belonging, equity and accessibility that inform academic excellence. We seek candidates who will not only enhance our commitment to these values, but whose experience, competencies, skills, and community engagement efforts contribute to diverse, equitable, inclusive learning and working environments for our students, staff, and faculty. This is a full time position reporting to the Executive Director with additional reporting to the Senior Associate Vice President, Global Programs Administration in New York. This position is expected to work in the office at least 80% of the time.
The role supports the Executive Director and the NYU London (NYUL) senior team on strategic long term planning and oversees all general operations, including finance and budget planning, human resources, IT, space management and facilities, as well as collaborating/overseeing NYU London’s emergency response protocols, in partnership with NYU London senior leadership and colleagues in New York City. Liaising closely with relevant colleagues at NYU in New York, Shanghai and Abu Dhabi, and at the other global sites and programs, the Associate Director is a member of the NYUL Senior Management team and may be asked to step in for the Executive Director at her/his request.
General Operations: 30%
- Supervise the day to day business operations of NYU London to ensure an orderly, secure, inclusive and enriching environment for the NYU London community ;
- Take responsibility for legal issues affecting NYUL, including contract approvals and monitoring; liaise closely with the NYU Office of General Counsel, Office of Global Programs, and UK-based legal teams when appropriate;
- Act as Authorising Officer for NYUL as sponsor of Staff and Student visas;
- Oversee NYUL IT policy and other forms of communication, in cooperation with NYU IT;
- Oversee NYUL relationships with outsourced providers (e.g., guards, property security, IT and cleaning services) in collaboration with NYU Campus Safety, NYU IT and NYU Facilities & Construction Management;
- Coordinate with NYU’s Insurance Office in NY to ensure appropriate assessments and insurance coverage;
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, maintain relations with various local authorities and professionals and alert the Global Programs Office regarding changes in laws or developments likely to affect NYU London overall operations;
- Alongside the Executive Director and in collaboration with the Global Programs Office, Office of General Counsel and NYU Human Resources, represent NYUL management in negotiations with Trade Union representatives (local or national officials);
- Responsible as Privacy Officer for NYU London operations, ensuring compliance with local law and NYU policies and practices relating to data privacy and protection;
- Other duties or projects relevant to this level of position as assigned or anticipated;
- Supervise the Assistant Director for Finance & Operations and her/his team in preparing and timely submitting annual budget proposals, variance reports, and other financial reporting as required; routinely monitor financial performance; be proactive in ensuring NYU London operates within its budget, implementing cost control measures as prudent and appropriate;
- Oversee the financial operations of NYUL, including accounts management, payroll, payments, auditing, and local liabilities; approve submissions of financial reports and expenses; signatory authority for NYUL bank accounts; liaise closely with colleagues in NYU Global Programs Office; NYU Finance Operations & Treasury, and review and approve expenditures (e.g. PCard payments and usage);
- Coordinate with NYU Global Tax & Payroll and other key teams as needed to ensure compliant operations
- Supervise the Donations account and process; ensure Gift Aid is claimed from HMRC and all necessary administration completed; liaise and coordinate with NYU University Development and Alumni Relations on all donations matters on behalf of NYU London
- Liaise closely with NYUL’s auditors and appropriate colleagues in New York to ensure the timely and accurate submission of various reports including the annual reports to the Charity Commission and Companies House; write and submit appropriate sections of these and other reports as requested ● Prepare analysis and reports as needed, including reports to the NYU London Board.
Strategic Management: 10%
-Support and collaborate with the Executive Director and appropriate NYU London (NYUL) and Global programs Office colleagues to plan, create, review and implement policies, procedures and short and long term strategic planning for NYU London. Evaluate enrollment trends and identity needed resources for future operations;
-Collaborate with colleagues across the University with regard to goals and initiatives of the University, Global Programs, or portal- focused staff at NYUL;
- Substitute for the Executive Director on relevant business matters at her/his request or when they may otherwise be unable to perform duties;
- Prepare an annual report of operations;
Human Resources: 20%
- Collaborate with Global HR Business Partner, HR Manager and leadership in NY as needed on HR processes, procedures and management across NYUL, including employee relations matters;
- Ensure employee documentation (contracts, handbooks etc) is maintained and compliant with UK legislation;
- Maintain the NYUL Staff Handbook and ensure it is current, complete, accurate, and distributed to new employees and lecturers upon hiring;
- Implement the NYU annual performance appraisal system for NYU London staff;
- Supervise the Time Management and on-boarding system (currently PeopleSync) for all staff; act as final approver on time off requests;
- Liaise with and support the work of the Assistant Director for Academic Affairs, the Clinical Psychologist/Global Wellness Counselor and the NY- and portal-focused staff in London ● Approve all staff recruitment in collaboration with the Executive Director, the Global Programs Office and NYU Human Resources, ensuring appropriate hiring practices and on- and off-boarding practices are in place; issue employment contracts as required;
- Supervise the provision of employee benefits;
Facilities & Space Planning: 20%
- Provide oversight in all respects, including facilities management, staffing, wellness and security;
- Act as local liaison with NYUL’s landlords under supervision by the Executive Director and in support of the NYU London leadership team, develop and maintain a space planning strategy including classroom assignments, and residential needs;
- Collaborate with NYUNY in searching and securing short term space including for classroom, labs, event space, residential, etc;
- Supervise the Facilities Manager; Oversee the facility maintenance program, including maintaining an appropriate renewal and replacement program for furniture and equipment. Coordinate the selection of facilities vendors (housekeeping services, contractors and service providers) in accordance with NYU Procurement standards;
- Oversee a housekeeping program for all NYU London facilities. Ensure routine and ad hoc cleaning programs, garbage disposal, etc;
- Institute a program of sustainability for NYU London, focused on reducing NYU London’s carbon footprint;
Master’s degree or higher
10 years of related experience, preferably in an American Higher Education institution
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Ability to manage and support others in managing a diverse team of administrators across a variety of disciplines including part- and full-time lecturers, work in a collaborative environment, exhibit strong leadership skills, strong communication, negotiation and presentation skills
A demonstrated commitment to promoting a diverse and welcoming environment, as evidenced by prior successful and innovative measures
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.
Research Technician In The Division Of Science (Chemistry), Dr. Aleksander Rebane, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Description The newly established Life Molecules & Materials lab at New York University Abu Dhabi pursuing cutting edge research in the areas of self-organization and function of proteins seeks to...
Research Associate In The Division Of Science (Biology), Dr. Stephane Boissinot, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
Description The Evolutionary Genomics laboratory in the Division of Science, New York University Abu Dhabi, seeks to recruit a research associate to work on the mechanisms underlying adaptation to...
Librarian For The Sciences, University of Toronto, Canada, 11 days ago
The NYU Abu Dhabi Library invites applications for a Librarian for the Sciences to work in a highly collaborative, innovative, and forward-looking setting. Reporting to the Coordinator of Library ...
Librarian For The Sciences, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Description The NYU Abu Dhabi Library invites applications for a Librarian for the Sciences to work in a highly collaborative, innovative, and forward-looking setting. Reporting to the Coordinator...
Assistant Professor In Electrical Engineering (Control Systems) Tenure Track, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Kingdom, 29 days ago
Description The Division of Engineering at NYU Abu Dhabi is searching for rising scholars to conduct important research and teach the next generation of global leaders. You are invited to apply f...
Writing Program Lecturer, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
Description The Writing Program at NYU Abu Dhabi invites applications for a full-time, multi-year lecturer position to teach writing courses to academically outstanding students from around the wo...