Location: USA - MA - Cambridge
Internal Number: 62517BR
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to delivering service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research and administration. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused, and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment, we are looking for you!
This leader will be forward-thinking and a strategic practitioner in areas of equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging. This role will lead strategic planning efforts and oversee the design, implementation, coordination, and tracking of innovative, engaging, and impactful EDIB programs and initiatives for HUIT's 700-person workforce. The Associate Director will introduce actionable and practical solutions to support HUIT staff and enhance their employee experience (EX).
Inclusive excellence is a foundational component of HUIT's workforce strategy, with the goal of creating an environment in which all individuals are treated fairly and respectfully, have equal access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute fully to HUIT's success. We are seeking candidates who have demonstrated experience inspiring colleagues, growing initiatives, and providing guidance to align strategy, resources, and decision-making.
Position DescriptionThe Associate Director, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging will be responsible for:
- Lead HUIT and IT leaders in creating a collective vision for EDIB within HUIT that may also scale and/or benefit other IT organizations at Harvard, integrating and embedding EDIB into all phases of the employee lifecycle.
- Evolve the strategy and programmatic foundation currently in place: identify strengths and areas of opportunities for greater impact and incorporate key initiatives, goals, and multi-year priorities.
- Project plan, design, and implement new offerings and initiatives that support HUIT's EDIB strategy, balancing education and awareness with execution and tactical operations.
- Identify opportunities to support EDIB within HUIT and develop strategies and plans to bring them to fruition across the organization, developing toolkits and resources to empower the organization to own EDIB efforts.
- Lead planning, operations, and logistics for signature EDIB events and programs.
- Oversee Dynamic Work initiatives related to EDIB.Strategic Partnership:
- Serve as an experienced thought partner on EDIB and function as subject matter expert, coach, and consultant to teams.
- Partner with key stakeholders, including HUIT's Staff Council, to integrate key concepts of allyship, inclusion, equity and belonging into existing talent management programs.
- Collaborate with University EDIB stakeholders, including affinity groups, by representing HUIT and increasing visibility through internal and external engagements.
- Be a strong voice for inclusion and diversity across multiple stakeholder groups (Executive leadership, managers, HR, Employee Experience, Communications) incorporating feedback, perspective, and insight to drive effective change.
- Partner with the Communications team to effectively share our strategy, progress, programs, and initiatives both to internal and external stakeholders.
- Partner with both Training and Learning and Development colleagues to ensure EDIB efforts are part of a cohesive approach to staff development and growing collective consciousness.
- Design and manage assessment efforts in support of ongoing data-informed decision-making.
- Regularly report on progress, including recommendations, priorities, and plans.
- Develop benchmarks and metrics to establish a baseline and measure progress toward organizational goals that help advance EDIB.
- Conduct ongoing research on best practices and recommend ways to improve existing efforts and optimize resources.
- Identify practical and robust ideas and solutions for gauging employee sentiment, leveraging key insights and feedback to drive focus areas.
- In partnership with HR, facilitate and manage pay equity studies and effective resolution strategies as needed.
- Develop and edit materials, including presentation decks, websites, reports, and internal communications to support clear and transparent insight into our efforts.
- Facilitate conversations, both formal and informal, that engage staff and encourage ongoing engagement and participation.
- Encourage individuals to take ownership of their role in HUIT's commitment to EDIB.
- Help ensure equitable access to opportunities, information, and paths to success across a large and highly matrixed organization.
- Bachelor's degree and 7 years of relevant experience in higher education, technology, or HR, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of critical issues in higher education and/or technology as it relates to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
Additional Qualifications and SkillsThe following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills to communicate information clearly and effectively to internal and external audiences, client groups, and all levels of management, with an emphasis on branding and storytelling.
- Accomplished at facilitating dialogue and conversations around sensitive and difficult topics.
- A well-developed sense of political acumen and the ability to strongly advocate for equity and inclusion at all levels of the institution.
- Ability to critically analyze requests for engagement on EDIB initiatives and articulate responses based on organizational priority and capacity.
- Advanced skills in data analysis, identifying trends, and tracking EDIB metrics to share a clear narrative and useful insights to key stakeholders.
- Ability to establish credibility and effective working relationships across the organization.
- Strong experience in organizational change management.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, while also being proactive and a self-starter.
- Knowledge of Title VII (EEOC) laws, Affirmative Action (OFCCP) regulations, identity-based initiatives focused on advancing historically marginalized populations.
- Project and/or program management experience.
HUIT actively supports hybrid work where business needs allow. All remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA). Some presence on campus may be necessary based on needs and the nature of the work.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Please provide a cover letter with your application.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University. Our mission is to assure Harvard's leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology. HUIT's core values are User Focused, Collaborative, Innovative and Open.
IT Academy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT's IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
Salary Grade: 059
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Create a Job Alert for Similar Jobs
About Harvard University Information Technology
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.
Connections working at Harvard University Information Technology
More Jobs from This Employer
Return to Search Results
Tenured Professor In Theoretical Quantum Science, Harvard University, United States, about 10 hours ago
Details Title Tenured Professor in Theoretical Quantum Science School Faculty of Arts and Sciences Department/Area Department of Physics, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard Quan...
Tenure Track Professor In Computer Science, Harvard University, United States, about 10 hours ago
Details Title Tenure-Track Professor in Computer Science School Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Department/Area Computer Science Position Description The Harvard...
Tenure Track Or Tenured Professor In Applied Mathematics, Harvard University, United States, about 9 hours ago
Details Title Tenure-Track or Tenured Professor in Applied Mathematics School Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Department/Area Applied Mathematics Position Descri...
Senior Preceptor In Spanish, Harvard University, United States, about 9 hours ago
Details Title Senior Preceptor in Spanish School Faculty of Arts and Sciences Department/Area Romance Languages and Literatures Position Description The Department of Romance Languages and Literat...
Assistant Professor Of Astronomy, Harvard University, United States, about 9 hours ago
Details Title Assistant Professor of Astronomy School Faculty of Arts and Sciences Department/Area Astronomy Position Description The Department of Astronomy seeks to appoint a tenure-track profes...
Lecturer In Latinx Studies, Harvard University, United States, about 10 hours ago
Details Title Lecturer in Latinx Studies School Faculty of Arts and Sciences Department/Area Committee on Ethnicity, Migration, Rights Position Description The Committee on Ethnicity, Migration, R...