Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
The Associate Dean for Communications is the senior-most executive responsible for communications, branding, and public relations for the Rollins School of Public Health, and serves as a member of the Dean's leadership team. The incumbent will be charged with shaping and advancing the School's message and brand throughout the School's internal community as well as across local, state, national, and global communications. As a dynamic leader and change agent, the Associate Dean's goal will be to reinforce existing communications strengths and further establish an innovative, substantive and proactive messaging platform.
- As a strategic advisor, the Associate Dean will provide counsel and expertise in communications and marketing to the Dean and senior leadership of the School and work to advance the strategic priorities articulated in the School's upcoming strategic plan.
- Responsible for setting and communicating the direction of the School's central communications through the creation of a vision and strategic priorities that reflect the School's vision and mission and address target audiences and key stakeholders, as well as ensuring alignment and consistency of communications across the institution.
- Cultivates and sustains beneficial and collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders to advance the School's strategic communications priorities.
- Provides vision, leadership and counsel for the Rollins School's communications and branding.
- Serves as the Dean's senior-most executive for communications, with responsibility for oversight and direction of the School's central communications units and staff.
- Develops new collaborations with the School's Departments and Centers to strengthen, align and guide their communication strategies while maintaining the School's overall brand and messaging.
- Ensure brand standards are maintained and consistent throughout the organization.
- Formulates and manages a comprehensive media relations strategy and program at the local, state, national, and global levels encompassing print, television, and social media outlets.
- Engages with key media outlets, both proactively and reactively, and provide media training to School leaders and faculty.
- Oversees any needed revision and ongoing management of all websites and social media engagements.
- Ensures a strong academic brand for Rollins focusing on research excellence, the student experience, community connection and collaboration, and science communication to lay audiences.
- Creates and leads an innovative approach to promoting the value of public health to educate a broader audience of the work of the school and the impact of the field.
- Takes a research-based approach to identify key messages and audiences, and works consistently to tell School stories, weaving them together to create a consistent, unified message in support of the School and University brands to a broad range of targeted, diverse audiences.
- Collaborates across the school and administrative units - including admissions, student affairs, facilities, government and community relations, development and alumni affairs - to align messages and to promote key initiatives of the School.
- Reinforces a culture of excellence, innovation and creativity, one that is proactive and quick to mobilize around important issues facing the School at the international, national and local levels.
- Anticipates and mitigates issues with the potential to negatively impact the School's reputation.
- In collaboration with the leaders and members of the School Communications units, develops short- and long-term strategic initiatives and goals for these units.
- Ensures collaborative, cohesive, consistent, and effective communications strategies across all units and throughout the School.
- Works closely with the Dean's Chief of Staff to keep the School's internal and external communities informed of the School's strategic plan's goals, objectives and progress.
- In collaboration with the School's development office, consults and advises the development team communications to ensure School branding and messages are incorporated.
- Works closely with the office of Admissions and Student Affairs, supporting the development of a student recruitment and marketing strategy, managed by the admissions team.
- Provides strategic counsel for student communication internally and externally, working closely with Admissions and Student Affairs and leadership to develop and implement a seamless student journey experience from prospective student through engaged alumni.
- Helps cultivate and nurture a positive relationship among student influencer communications, including parents, counselors, advisers.
- Develops benchmark criteria and track and evaluate the effectiveness of the communications strategies on a regular basis.
- Oversees educational activities for faculty and staff professional development in communications, and works with faculty on educational opportunities in science communication for students.
- Cultivates and sustains collaborative relationships/partnerships with external stakeholders, government and community leaders, businesses, and foundations.
- Supports efforts to advance the School's commitment to diversity and compliance.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A bachelor's degree and eight years of progressive experience managing communications and/or marketing in a complex, dynamic environment.
- A master's degree is preferred.
- Holistic understanding of all aspects of communications, positioning and messaging, including industry best practices in both traditional and emerging media platforms and experience with state-of-the-art communications technology.
- Significant experience leading communications strategies in a global environment and working with national and international media outlets and digital media channels.
- Proven ability to lead with direct authority and through influence, including partnering across peer leadership groups and deploying resources to support individual units as well as an enterprise-wide narrative.
- Demonstrated senior leadership experience designing and executing a strategic communications plan in a large, complex, decentralized organization with varied priorities and stakeholders.
- Experience managing teams and budgets in a highly complex organization, some of which will be shared with another internal division.
NOTE: This role will be granted the opportunity to work from home regularly but must be able to commute to Emory University on a flexible weekly schedule based upon business needs. Schedule is based on agreed upon guidelines of department of work. Emory reserves the right to change remote work status with notice to employee.
To ensure the safety of our campus community, the COVID-19 vaccine is required. For more information on the University and Hospital policies and potential exemptions, please see our website.
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322.
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration!
Assistant Director, Web Marketing And User Journey, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 5 days ago
Reports to: Senior Director, Marketing Communications Projects Purpose: The job holder’s main responsibility is to bridge the University website and marketing strategy, ensuring that The America...
Faculty Positions, School Of Film And Television Arts (All Ranks), XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), United Kingdom, 22 days ago
School: School of Film and Television Arts, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) Position: Faculty Positions, School of Film and Television Arts (All Ranks) Position Information: Open Rank Academi...
Communication And Marketing Coordinator, Arizona State University, United States, 20 days ago
87299BR Campus: Tempe Cdr Communication & Mrktg Job Description Develops and implements the School of Social Transformation’s (SST) communication strategies, programs and project content, and mate...
Communications Lead, University of Alberta, Canada, 6 days ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position has a term length of 13 months and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our Benefits O...
Manager Marketing +Communication, Arizona State University, United States, 3 days ago
88003BR Campus: Tempe Mgr Marketing +Communication Job Description The Communications Manager leads marketing and communications efforts for ASU’s Knowledge Exchange for Resilience (KER). This pos...
Communications Program Coordinator, Arizona State University, United States, 20 days ago
87331BR Campus: Tempe Communications Prg Cdr Job Description The ASU Art Museum at the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts is looking for an innovative, motivated and highly talented indiv...