The Associate Dean and Director of Residential Education at Brown University provides visionary leadership and strategic planning for the residential experience for a highly diverse population of nearly 5,000 undergraduate students with an emphasis on advancing community and belonging, health and wellness, and students’ holistic experience. She/He/They will set the direction and goals for the residential experience, making it an integral part of an undergraduate education at Brown. This individual directly supervises six live-in professional Area Coordinators (ACs), setting goals and direction for the ACs’ work with residential students and paraprofessional student staff and providing mentoring and support for the ACs’ professional development and success; in collaboration with the Area Coordinators selects, trains, and supervises approximately 150 undergraduate paraprofessional Residential Peer Leaders (RPLs). The Associate Dean/Director will lead the review and decision-making process for programmatic direction, departmental policies, strategic planning, and budgeting. She/He/They conducts hearings in the non-academic student conduct process and participates in a campus-wide, crisis on-call system. The Associate Dean/Director collaborates with students, faculty, and colleagues to create opportunities for co-curricular endeavors and advances the mission of the Division of Campus Life. The Associate Dean/Director serves on the Campus Life Executive Group.
The successful candidate must have a deep understanding of and commitment to residential learning, possess the skills and capacities to advance the residential experience at Brown, and have demonstrated success leading and supervising early career professionals and undergraduate student staff. The successful candidate will have demonstrated success leading diverse teams and cultivating equitable and inclusive residential environments, and have a strong background in program assessment. While the Associate Dean/Director collaborates with divisional leadership and other campus colleagues, the successful candidate must demonstrate independent thinking and sound professional judgment in the management of residential education initiatives, staff, administration, budget, and strong communication skills.
To be considered, applicants must submit both a cover letter and a resume.
- Master’s degree in higher education, education, or related field required.
- Seven to ten years of experience developing and implementing strategic vision for programs that advance holistic student development, preferably in a residential university setting.
- Seven to ten years of experience supervising professional staff, preferably in a university setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse student population including students of color, LGBTQ students, international students, first-generation and low-income students, students from indigenous communities, and other under-represented students and communities on campus; sophisticated understanding of how intersectionality, privilege, and socio-economic status relate to the development of community, belonging, health, and wellness in a residential setting.
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and lead teams of professional staff and students by developing a vision, setting goals, building coalitions of support, defining timelines, implementing accountability measures to achieve and measure outcomes.
- Experience leading complex initiatives or programs involving multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to build credibility and confidence with stakeholders in the process of enacting cultural change.
- Skilled thought leader with accountability to assume ownership of a problem and resolve it in a collaborative, creative manner.
- Effective communication skills. Ability to compose and give presentations to audiences including students, professional staff, faculty, and other university leaders.
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive environment.
BACKGROUND CHECK : Criminal and Education Verification
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:Associate Dean and Director of Residential Education
Department:AVP Dean of Students
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com .
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Assistant Dean Of The College Of Business, Johnson & Wales University, United States, about 1 hour ago
Apply now Job no:6441 Work type:Full Time Location:Providence, Rhode Island Categories:Staff/Administration, Calendar Year (12-Month), Academic Administration, Academics Johnson & Wales University...
Research Analyst, Community College of Rhode Island, United States, 5 days ago
About CCRI: The Community College of Rhode Island is the states only public comprehensive associate degree-granting institution. We provide affordable open access to higher education at locations ...
Annual Giving Officer, Bryant University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Posting Details Position Information Job Title Annual Giving Officer Full Time / Part Time Full Time Job Type Staff Reports To Director of the Bryant Fund Position Summary The Annual Giving Office...
Faculty Nutrition And Dietetics, Johnson & Wales University, United States, about 1 hour ago
Apply now Job no:6346 Work type:Full Time Location:Providence, Rhode Island Categories:Faculty, Academic Year, Academics Summary Faculty members are responsible for providing students with a rich,...
Director, Labor Relations, Rhode Island School of Design, United States, 14 days ago
Job Summary Join the experienced Human Resources team at Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), one of the world's leading institutions of art and design education located in Providence, RI. RISD s...
Campus Dining Manager, Johnson & Wales University, United States, 1 day ago
Apply now Job no:6425 Work type:Full Time Location:Providence, Rhode Island Categories:Staff/Administration, Calendar Year (12-Month), Campus Dining Summary Oversees the daily operations of the st...