|Job Title||Associate Chair for Mechanical Engineering|
Angelo State University is seeking a dynamic and energetic mechanical engineering Associate Department Chair to join our team in the growing David L. Hirschfeld Department of Engineering. Angelo State is a teaching-focused, Hispanic Serving Institution and member of the Texas Tech University System. The department hosts an existing program in civil engineering and is crafting our new mechanical engineering program approved to start in fall 2019.
The new mechanical engineering program will feature course offerings that build from a common core of engineering courses shared with the existing civil engineering program. Currently, the civil engineering program has 203 majors and will graduate its first class of students in December 2018. The successful candidate will play a leadership role under a Department of Education funded grant to develop a mechanical engineering curriculum which is culturally responsive to our diverse student population. We expect to seek ABET accreditation for the mechanical engineering program in 2020. The successful candidate must be able to work collaboratively to build a practice-oriented, integrated, broad-based mechanical engineering curriculum, and actively lead the ABET accreditation process.
This is a full-time tenured nine-month, Associate Professor position.
|Typical Duties/Job Duties||
1. Lead the development of a culturally responsive, integrated, practice oriented mechanical engineering curriculum.
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities||
- Knowledge of undergraduate education, coursework, and challenges, and how they fit within the broader mechanical engineering curriculum.
- Earned doctorate in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field.
- Experience in course and curriculum development
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
|Desired Start Date||08/01/2019|
|Review Start Date|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||
1. Cover Letter should be no longer than 2 pages and should discuss the potential to lead development of the mechanical engineering program.
2. In the Curriculum Vitae, applicant should include relevant teaching and course development of junior- and senior-level engineering courses as well as ABET accreditation experience.
3. The Teaching Philosophy should be no longer than 2 pages and include a discussion on creating active and innovative student learning environments and on the effective use of technology in their teaching.
4. The required Other Document should be no longer than 2 pages and should discuss 1) applicant’s leadership skills and 2) how applicant would help achieve Angelo State University’s goal to attract, retain, and graduate more women, Hispanics, and students from other underrepresented groups.
|Required Number of References|