The Council of the Humanities seeks a talented administrator who will direct its budget development and oversee its day-to-day operations, coordinating projects supported by multiple staff. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position is responsible for ensuring all financial and administrative deadlines are met. We invite qualified candidates to consider taking this leadership role in the Council’s fast-paced and collaborative work environment, which fosters innovation and cross-disciplinary conversation across the humanities at Princeton.
The Humanities Council is the academic home for 12 staff and more than 30 visiting faculty, researchers, postdoctoral fellows, and lecturers. Offering innovation grants, visiting fellowships, public lectures, and research professorships, the Council also oversees several interdisciplinary undergraduate and graduate programs, including the PhD Program in Interdisciplinary Humanities and the Program in Journalism. A connecting force across 46 humanities-related departments, centers, programs, and committees, the Council hosts hundreds of events each year and enrolls more than 100 students in its certificate/degree programs, which emphasize a global and engaged approach to the humanities, including international and experiential teaching.
The Assistant Manager reports directly to the Executive Director of the Humanities Council and is responsible for day-to-day administrative management of finances and operations.
Financial and Budget Management
- Oversees the Council’s budget development in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Manages Council funds and resources, including endowed funds, restricted funds, and grants, with support from a part-time budget manager
- Supports Executive Director in development of long-term budget projections and spending plans; provides regular and timely updates on available funds to the Executive Director and Chair.
- Tracks complex, multi-year financial commitments; approves all expenses; ensures alignment within spending levels per fund per year.
- Oversees several program managers in budget and expense management, including monthly department reviews, bi-annual program reviews, and year-end spending reviews.
- Oversee year-end close for all.
- Monitors to ensure compliance with fund restrictions. Ensures good management practices in financial planning.
- Works effectively in a collaborative manner with other key leaders across the institution and with external partners and stakeholders.
- Attends F&T meetings and trainings.
- Directs the Council's day-to-day operations, with responsibility for all administrative support functions and for coordinating staff who work collaboratively on projects.
- Manages all search, onboarding, and HR processes for department faculty, visiting faculty, and staff; manages employee benefits, Labor Accounting, time and absence management, and hourly workers, contractors, and vendors.
- Manages financial and administrative processes related to appointments, leadership rosters, shared drives/calendars and databases, and travel and global security policies.
- Manages facilities and spaces, including the use and maintenance of Council offices and building spaces in East Pyne, Chancellor Green Rotunda, Joseph Henry House, Scheide Caldwell House, Green Hall, and 201 Nassau.
- Directly supervises an office specialist, IT specialist, budget manager, and four managers of interdisciplinary programs. Oversees hiring, performance reviews, and merit increase processes.
- Oversees all Council staff in regard to administrative processes and workflows (eg, rosters, shared drives, dropboxes, databases, calendars, checklists) and compliance with general nonacademic U policies (COI forms; purchasing, contracts, etc)
- Support HR and AHIRE processes for hires/searches, training, onboarding; coordination and monitor absences from office
- Bachelor's degree
- Expertise with Microsoft Excel
- Minimum 5 years in budget management and oversight of financial operations.
- Minimum 5 years in office management or related administrative position(s)
- Experience in the supervision and development of staff
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, project management, and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced setting; flexible and adaptive to changing needs and priorities
- Ability to anticipate and initiate appropriate action in support of the Chair and department faculty.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to collaborate effectively.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint), and Adobe
- Discretion and good judgment, able to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Advanced degree or experience working in higher education
- Experience with systems used by Princeton (Prime, Concur, Labor Accounting, Outlook)
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate’s current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.
Program Coordinator, Rutgers University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Program Coordinator Job Category Staff & Executive - Healthcare - Other Department CINJ-Cancer Registry-Operations Overview Rutgers Cancer Institute of N...
Assistant Athletic Director Football Marketing, Rutgers University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Assistant Athletic Director - Football Marketing Job Category Staff & Executive - Athletics Department Athletics Mktg & Communication Overview The Rutger...
Business Manager, Rutgers University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Business Manager Job Category Staff & Executive - Finance/Accounting/Purchasing Department University Press Overview Rutgers, The State University of New...
Business Specialist, Rutgers University, United States, 2 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Business Specialist Job Category Staff & Executive - Finance/Accounting/Purchasing Department School of Social Work Overview The School of Social Work mi...
Program Coordinator I, Rutgers University, United States, 23 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Program Coordinator I Job Category Staff & Executive - Administrative & Support Department SAS - Women's & Gender Studies Overview The School of Arts and...
Assistant Manager, Financial Aid Supervisor, Rutgers University, United States, 17 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Assistant Manager, Financial Aid Supervisor Job Category Staff & Executive - Financial Aid Department Financial Aid - Nwk Overview Posting Summary Rutger...