The Department of Chemistry seeks an Assistant Grants Manager to support the administration of research grants for our faculty, students, and research staff in a dynamic research-intensive environment. Under the supervision of the Grants Manager, the Assistant Grants Manager's primary responsibilities will include all pre- and post-award activities related to a variety of sponsored research projects. Such projects include, but are not limited to, the administration of two multi-institutional Department of Energy Centers and an interdisciplinary university- and industry-sponsored research initiative.
This is a great entry-level opportunity for an individual who wishes to learn more about grants management.
- Guide the PI through the application process, working with assistants as appropriate, and ensuring that requirements for each proposal are fulfilled as described by the program announcement;
- Prepare the budget and the budget justification;
- Prepare and/or review administrative documents required for applications;
- Process subcontract agreements;
- Prepare proposal submissions to the Office of Research and Project Administration (ORPA) and applicable funders through the Princeton University Grants Management System and/or the appropriate sponsor system, such as Grants.gov, NIH ASSIST, Workspace, NSF Fastlane, or directly to the funding agency/foundation as necessary;
- Confirm that proposals are submitted to and received by the agency before the sponsor's deadline;
- Distribute funding opportunities for internal competition for awards/prizes to faculty, maintain spreadsheet to track nominations, and facilitate submission.
- Work with PI to carefully monitor effort and spending on awards and ensure compliance;
- Identify erroneous charges and prepare cost transfer documentation for PI review and submission as necessary;
- Review all Notices of Award and notate internal systems with special restrictions or conditions of the award;
- Assist the Grants Manager with all closeouts;
- Review and provide analysis of monthly 12-month faculty projections;
- Prepare long-term projections for individual faculty under guidance of grants manager;
- Process any administrative or budgetary sections of reports and assist Sponsored Research Accounting in preparing interim and final financial reports when needed;
- Review and approve requisitions for equipment and all travel and expense reports (Concur) on sponsored projects for compliance.
- Process sponsored research journal entries and labor accounting adjustments, as needed;
- Work with other universities and sponsors on the transfer or relinquishment of grant awards;
- Actively alert PIs of upcoming renewal deadlines and annual progress reports;
- Maintain a working knowledge of all government rules and regulations pertaining to sponsored research;
- Disseminate and enforce financial policy with colleagues;
- Assist with other projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- Background in budget development, account reconciliations, financial analysis and reporting.
- Solid understanding of accounting concepts and procedures.
- Proficiency in Excel.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, as well as written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to plan and prioritize diverse workload, meet frequent deadlines, take initiative, self-motivate and function autonomously.
- Excellent data gathering skills and the ability to creatively solve problems and formulate/implement process improvements.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, changing environment;
- Must maintain strict confidentiality of personnel and salary information.
- Experience with Princeton University Systems and Software including PeopleSoft, Prime Financials, ERA, Labor Accounting and the Information Warehouse.
- Familiarity with University Resources (ORPA, Office of Finance and Treasury, Sponsored Research Accounting).
- Familiarity with Princeton's administrative procedures and policies.
- Working knowledge of federal regulations regarding fiscal management of federal funds including Uniform Guidance.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. Princeton University requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination status. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical contraindication or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.
Go to our careers site.
Business Specialist, Rutgers University, United States, about 9 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Business Specialist Job Category Staff & Executive - Finance/Accounting/Purchasing Department SAS - Physics & Astronomy Overview The School of Arts and S...
Research Contract / Grant Specialist, Rutgers University, United States, about 10 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Research Contract / Grant Specialist Job Category Staff & Executive - Grants Management Department Research & Sponsored Programs Overview The core purpos...
Senior Financial Analyst I (Grants & Contracts), Rutgers University, United States, about 9 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Senior Financial Analyst I (Grants & Contracts) Job Category Staff & Executive - Finance/Accounting/Purchasing Department CINJ-Finance Overview Rutgers C...
Research Grants And Contracts Specialist, Rutgers University, United States, about 10 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Research Grants and Contracts Specialist Job Category Staff & Executive - Grants Management Department Grant Preaward Office - Nwk Overview Vision Our vi...
Grants Coordinator, Rutgers University, United States, 5 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Grants Coordinator Job Category Staff & Executive - Grants Management Department CINJ-Admin & Plan 120 Albany Overview Our vision is to be a statewide, n...
Accounting Specialist Grants, Rutgers University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Accounting Specialist- Grants Job Category Staff & Executive Department Camden Chancellor's Office Overview Rutgers University–Camden is a diverse, resea...