Apply now Job no:493972
Work type:Staff Full-Time
The Office of General Counsel provides legal advice and counsel on a broad spectrum of legal issues that arise in the operation of the University. It is also responsible for engaging the services of outside law firms for specialized legal needs, and for coordinating and supervising their work.
This full-time position reports directly to the Associate General Counsel. The Assistant General Counsel will provide legal support for the formation, negotiation, execution and administration of the entire range of external transactions essential to the operations of the University in accordance with expectations of business and academic units and University objective. The Assistant General Counsel will report to the Associate General Counsel to provide efficient and high-quality customer service for contract and transactional review.
- Providing legal counsel and operational advice to business and academic units on a wide variety of external transactional arrangements.
- Applying, interpreting, and implementing policy, technical and legal concepts to a wide variety of situations, and to use mature judgment in resolving related issues and problems.
- Analyzing the business case for external transactions with an appreciation of financial/analytical issues and strategic implications.
- Perform appropriate administrative and operational research to support transactional development.
- Collaborating with and advising business and academic units as necessary to achieve operational goals.
- Mentoring less-experienced transactional professionals.
- Providing professional development in transaction management.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent research and analytical skills, and sound judgment.
- Knowledge of transactional legal issues that arise in corporate or non-profit setting.
- Aptitude to quickly absorb new information with highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Strong writing, critical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to deal with broad and diverse constituencies at all levels of management, with strong customer service orientation and skills.
- Demonstrated skill in performing under the pressure of frequent interruptions, conflicting demands, and changing priorities.
- Ability to perform in a cross-functional environment.
- High degree of independence and creative judgment.
- High ethical standards that reflect honesty, integrity, and reliability.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Outlook and Word) and Adobe DC.
- Ability to learn and effectively use TimeMatters matter management system for the Office of General Counsel.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective general legal advice to large complex clients; sound judgment; discretion; diplomacy; objectivity; integrity and ethics.
- Demonstrated ability to identify discriminatory practices and other barriers to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of business operations and transactions and to support the University’s commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity.
- J.D. degree from an accredited ABA law school.
- Good standing membership in or eligibility for admission to the Colorado State Bar.
- 5 years of experience as a practicing attorney advising clients on contracts and transactions.
- Previous work experience in a higher education setting.
- Familiarity with the University of Denver or comparable higher education institution.
- Understanding and appreciation of the historic role of the oldest independent private and high-research university in the Rocky Mountain Region of the United States.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Wednesday, July 14, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is 15.
The salary range for this position is $96,000 - $115,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver .
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
Professional Research Assistant, University of Colorado, United States, 7 days ago
Professional Research Assistant - 22492 Research Faculty Description University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus Professional Research Assistant (PRA Level 2) Physical Medicine and Reh...
(Internal Cu Employees Only) Assistant Vice Chancellor For Career Development And Immersive Learning , University of Colorado, United States, about 8 hours ago
(Internal CU Employees Only) Assistant Vice Chancellor for Career Development and Immersive Learning - 22857 University Staff Description University of Colorado | CU Denver Student Affairs: Stude...
Program Assistant, University of Colorado, United States, about 7 hours ago
Program Assistant - 22588 University Staff Description University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus Colorado School of Public Health | Rocky Mountain Prevention Research Center Program ...
Professional Research Assistant, University of Colorado, United States, about 8 hours ago
Professional Research Assistant - 22721 Research Faculty Description UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO DENVER | ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS Department of Immunology and Microbiology Professional Research Assista...
Research Counsel Litigation , University of Colorado, United States, about 7 hours ago
Research Counsel - Litigation - 22644 University Staff Description Department Description: University Counsel has a dual report to the Board of Regents and the President of the University and inc...
(Internal Cu Employees Only) Assistant Vice Chancellor For Student Success , University of Colorado, United States, about 8 hours ago
(Internal CU Employees Only) Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Success - 22841 University Staff Description University of Colorado | CU Denver Strategic Enrollment and Student Success Assista...