Job ID: 103150
October 31, 2018
Open until filled
Link to Apply Online:
Campus Employment Homepage:
The Office of Marine Programs’ primary mission is to support the academic departments in the education and application of knowledge associated with all aspects of the Maritime and related industry by operating and maintaining the vessel training assets. Activities associated with Marine Programs include hands on professional development of prospective Merchant Marine Officers, Facility, and Mechanical Engineers and support of course work in those areas.
Under the supervision of the Chief Engineer and First Engineer, the Assistant Engineer is responsible for maintenance, repair and upkeep of the training ship engineering equipment and spaces, and assisting in supervision of the training ship students, student workers and staff Electrical maintenance and trouble-shooting tools: Multi-meter, megohmeter, electrical splicing equipment, etc.
• Help plan and perform engine and electrical work for the maintenance and upkeep of the training ship Engineering Plant and Housing Facilities. Performs or supervises the performance of electrical installation and repair to USCG standards, piping system maintenance and repair, and observation and participation in safety evaluation and reporting. Assist First and Chief Engineer in maintaining accurate shipboard work order and maintenance records.
• Assist in administering vessel and equipment familiarization training for marine engineering students and supervising students during coursework under guidance of assigned instructor of record. Assist in planning, and organizing a shipboard marine laboratory facility for the training of marine engineering students.
• Assist the First Engineer in the preparation of parts order and repair requirements for the training ship. Work with the Chief Engineer, First Engineer, and engine officers in preparation of MARAD work requests.
• Third Engineer’s License – Motor unlimited
• STCW – 95 Endorsement
• Thorough knowledge and abilities in the areas of Marine Engineering and vessel maintenance and repair. Specific areas include marine diesel engine maintenance and operations, pump operation and maintenance, marine electrical systems, refrigeration & air conditioning, and experience in operation of marine environmental equipment.
• BS Degree in Marine or Mechanical Engineering or Technology
• Welding and machining experience.
• Knowledge of Marine electronics.
• Knowledge of Marine Automation and Control Systems.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
• Ability to function successfully in limited living and working spaces, climb ship ladders and stairs and transit narrow hallways, and to perform assigned duties maintain balance while occasionally experiencing rolling motion aboard ship; ability to lift and move moderate weights (up to 50 lbs.) in a safe manner.
• Must be able to work and communicate in a hot, noisy environment.
• Will work with fuel, lubricants and other hazardous materials on a routine basis.
• Incumbent will be required to participate in an annual 65-day training cruise aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear (TGSB). This requires the incumbent to obtain a Merchant Mariners Document issued by the U.S. Coast Guard. This will include a background check, physical and drug test, proof of citizenship or the eligibility to work in the U.S., and a Social Security card. Each year the incumbent must pass a pre-cruise physical exam and drug test to participate on the training cruise.
BACKGROUND CHECK: A background check must be satisfactorily completed before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
MANDATED REPORTER: The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
K To 14 Acad Prep Supv 1, University of California Davis, United States, about 1 hour ago
Requisition Number: 03023264 Recruitment Open To: UCD/UCDHS Employees and General Public Final Filing Date 03-01-2019 Closing Date: Position: UPWARD BOUND PROGRAM DIRECTOR Payroll Title K TO 14 AC...
Laboratory Assistant Iii, University of California Davis, United States, 11 days ago
Requisition Number: 03023128 Recruitment Open To: Internal/External Final Filing Date 02-04-2019 Closing Date: Position: LABORATORY ASSISTANT III Payroll Title LABORATORY ASSISTANT III Number of P...
Laboratory Assistant Iii, University of California Davis, United States, about 1 hour ago
Requisition Number: 03023128 Recruitment Open To: Internal/External Final Filing Date 02-19-2019 Closing Date: Position: LABORATORY ASSISTANT III Payroll Title LABORATORY ASSISTANT III Number of P...
Supervisory Physical Scientist, Ast, Earth Sciences Remote Sensing, NASA Ames Research Center, United States, about 22 hours ago
Summary The Earth Science Division in the Science Directorate is seeking interested applicants for the position of Deputy Division Chief. The Deputy co-manages Division operations and provides tec...
Laboratory Assistant I, University of California Davis, United States, 10 days ago
Requisition Number: 03023137 Recruitment Open To: UCD/UCDHS Employees and General Public Final Filing Date 02-05-2019 Closing Date: Position: LAB ASSISTANT 1 Payroll Title LABORATORY ASSISTANT I N...
K To 14 Acad Prep Spec 2, University of California Davis, United States, about 1 hour ago
Requisition Number: 03023263 Recruitment Open To: UCD/UCDHS Employees and General Public Final Filing Date 03-01-2019 Closing Date: Position: UPWARD BOUND PROGRAM ADVISOR Payroll Title K to 14 ACA...