The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is soliciting applications for the position of Assistant Electronics Engineer for the Owens Valley Radio Observatory (OVRO) in the Eastern Sierra, California. Several world-class radio astronomy instruments currently in operation or nearing completion at the site, and a new telescope, the 2000-antenna Deep Synoptic Array (DSA-2000) is under development. The DSA-2000 will be a world-leading radio survey telescope and multi-messenger discovery engine, with first light anticipated in 2026. The array will consist of 2000 x 5 m dishes distributed over a 19 x 15 km diameter area in Nevada, operating in the 0.7—2 GHz frequency range.
The ovro website: https://www.ovro.caltech.edu/
The project website: https://www.deepsynoptic.org/
The selected applicant will be based at OVRO, a world-class facility operated by Caltech for research in radio astronomy, located near Bishop in central California. They will join a team of skilled scientists and engineers who manage a range of facilities operating from meter- to millimeter-wavelengths, and observations extending from nearby exoplanets to the early universe. The successful candidate will coordinate closely with scientists and engineers to develop, maintain and improve current and proposed radio astronomy systems for a wide variety of science goals. The range of technologies used, including RF and microwave, analog, digital, mechanical and cryogenics, presents challenges that require critical problem-solving abilities and presents opportunities for learning new skills. The majority of the work will be at OVRO, but the employee will be expected to spend time at the selected site for DSA-2000 in Nevada as required.
The Observatory is in the Eastern Sierra, which affords an excellent environment for outdoor activities, including hiking, fishing, and skiing. Clear night skies offer exceptional viewing for amateur astronomers.
Email inquiries regarding the application process may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essential Job Duties
- Implementing and documenting electrical controls for antenna reflector former.
- Managing specification and implementation of solar power for antenna stands.
- Defining power distribution and supplies for antenna drives and electronics.
- Defining and implementing power supplies for analog signal electronics.
- Contributing to the design and implementation of monitor and control subsystems.
- Implementing performance and reliability testing for components and modules.
- Specifying and ordering electronic, electrical, and electromechanical components.
- Documenting designs and test results.
- Writing maintenance documentation and interface documentation.
- Assisting with system integration and testing.
- Troubleshooting and repairing
- Other tasks as assigned.
- A bachelor's or higher degree in electronic engineering, physics or a related discipline.
- Work or class experience with practical electrical or electronic circuits.
- Ability to interpret schematic diagrams.
- Familiarity with electrical and electronic data sheets.
- Knowledge of engineering programming in any of Python, MATLAB, Mathcad, or similar.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of engineers, scientists, and technicians locally and remotely.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Relevant knowledge in any of the areas of microwaves and RF, analog electronics, digital electronics, power systems.
- Experience designing and debugging analog and/or RF circuits.
- Knowledge of reliability analysis and testing.
- Experience with three-phase power systems.
- Knowledge of HVAC or cryogenic systems.
- Familiarity with electrical wiring codes.
- Cover letter
- List of 3 references
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
As one of the largest employers in Pasadena, CA, Caltech is committed to providing comprehensive benefits to eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Our benefits package includes competitive compensation, health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings plans, generous paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, bereavement, etc.), tuition reimbursement, and more. Non-benefit eligible employees will have access to some benefits such as onsite counseling and sick time. Learn more about our benefits and staff perks.
Laboratory Technician, California Institute of Technology, United States, 9 days ago
Details Posted: 23-Nov-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4814739 Laboratory Technician Caltech J...
Chef De Cuisine, California Institute of Technology, United States, 15 days ago
Details Posted: 18-Nov-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Food Services/Hospitality/Events Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4802333 Chef de Cuisine Caltech Job Categor...
Coding Denials Mgmt Specialist (Him Inpatient) Him Financial Full Time 8 Hour Days (Non Exempt) (Non Union), University of Southern California (USC), United States, 12 days ago
Details Posted: 19-Nov-23 Location: Alhambra, California Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: REQ20142507 In accordance with current federal & state coding compliance reg...
Custodian, The California State University, United States, 15 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 533427 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: November 16, 2023 Closing Date: December 1, 2023 Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Li...
Gardener, The California State University, United States, 21 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 533539 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: November 9, 2023 Closing Date: November 23, 2023 Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Li...
Police Officer Cadet, The California State University, United States, 17 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 533851 Job Title: Appointment Type: Temporary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: November 14, 2023 Closing Date: Open until filled Link to Apply Online: https://secure.dc4.pa...