ASSISTANT DIRECTOR – RESEARCH & PLANNING
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
The Decision Support Department within the Office of Institutional Effectiveness is designed to provide data and analytics support, performance data and metrics monitoring, data training and capacity building, and external data compliance and oversight. The department is focused on providing timely, relevant, and strategic analytic support to ensure that data is the driver and foundation of decision-making at all levels of the organization and ultimately supports student success at the City Colleges of Chicago.
An Associate Vice Chancellor of Decision Support heads the Decision Support Department and directs staff, located at the District and college level, engaged in conducting institutional research and evaluation, data integration and analysis, and program planning and implementation. An Assistant Director, Research and Planning position is allocated to each of the District’s seven colleges.
Under general supervision, and reporting directly to the Vice President at an assigned college, the Assistant Director, Research and Planning, is responsible for coordinating and conducting institutional research functions to provide information that supports institutional planning, policy formulation, and decision making at the college and District level. Performs related duties as required.
- Provides research and analytic support to college leadership (President, Vice President), administrators, staff, and faculty with timely and relevant research, data analysis, data interpretation, and information to support the college’s strategies to increase and improve institutional effectiveness and performance.
- Participates and collaborates with college administrators on strategic planning activities by compiling, analyzing, and presenting institutional data to support assessment and decision making in various areas including academic program evaluation, student learning/program outcomes, student services, enrollment management, resource allocation, and staffing.
- Functions as an intermediary between college administrators and key District level staff on issues relating to the compilation and analysis of institutional data, performance data, and other metrics to facilitate decision-making in such areas as policy formulation, resource allocation, enrollment management, performance management, and strategic planning.
- Works collaboratively with college administrators in establishing benchmarks, key performance indicators, scorecards, dashboards, and other metrics and performance measures.
- Provides statistical data to comply with reporting requirements from State agencies (i.e. Illinois Community College Board/ICCB) as well as federal agencies (i.e. U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics/NCES).
- Responds to requests for data research and analysis to support the accreditation process, working with college administrators to identify, extract and report data from appropriate data systems (Data Warehouse, PeopleSoft).
- Compiles data from multiple sources (data systems, surveys, reports) for use in institutional self-study and accreditation by external agencies (i.e. Higher Learning Commission).
- Responds to internal requests for data to support specific data needs of college administrators, staff, faculty, and District level management by coordinating and providing data on topics such as student recruitment, admissions, enrollment, retention, financial aid, and completion rates.
- Designs and administers surveys (i.e. student and classroom surveys) and other data collection instruments; collects and analyzes data, and prepares narrative and statistical reports.
- Maintains statistical and other data for use in the preparation of reports, charts, tables, and graphs that provide information on measures relating to institutional effectiveness.
- Analyzes complex data sets using research methods, quantitative and qualitative analyses, and statistical techniques. Uses statistical software such as SAS in performing data analysis.
- Develops and presents workshops and training on the use and application of information technology systems and tools (i.e. Open Book), guiding college administrators and faculty on the processes for accessing data and information about the institution.
Education, Training, and Experience
- A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Education or the Social or Behavioral Sciences (Sociology, Psychology, Economics), or a related field of study
- Relevant research experience, with demonstrated experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods and statistics
- A combination of education and experience may be taken into consideration based on the applicant’s credentials
- High level of proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required
- Experience with higher education accreditation processes highly desirable
- Experience with statistical analysis software such as SQL, R, SAS highly desirable
- Experience in the assessment of student learning outcomes desirable
- Experience in the development of performance metrics and continuous improvement systems and tools desirable
- Familiarity with Access and SQL data query skills a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- Knowledge of the practices and procedures used in the research, collection, analysis, interpretation and reporting of statistical data
- Knowledge of research, assessment and planning activities in a higher education environment
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Knowledge of critical issues in higher education and understanding of education performance data
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong research and writing skills Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong academic research skills, conducting literature reviews, designing research methodology, implementing research study
- Strong data management skills
- Skill in the application and use of appropriate statistical analysis
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate information on the analysis and interpretation of data and research findings to a non-technical audience
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Ability to manage competing priorities and handling multiple projects
- Ability to work under time pressure and meet established deadlines
- Ability to combine complex datasets and to manipulate large datasets as part of data analysis
WE OFFER: Excellent health benefits at a low cost; investment plans 403(b) & 457(b); SURS Retirement Plan; Generous vacation, holiday, personal and sick days; Tuition Reimbursement. For a more detail overview of benefits, please visit our benefits page.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
Biostatistician, The University of Chicago, United States, about 3 hours ago
Department BSD PHS - Biostat Lab Staff About the Department Public Health Sciences (PHS) is the home in the Biological Sciences Division to biostatistics, epidemiology and health services research...
Director, Public Relations And Communications, The University of Chicago, United States, 9 days ago
Department BSD DIV - Administration About the Department The Biological Sciences Division (BSD) is the largest unit of the University. Established in 1930, the BSD is comprised of faculty from the...
Operations Manager, The University of Chicago, United States, 7 days ago
Department BSD MED - Section Administrator: Hospital Medicine Administrative Staff About the Department Our section prides itself on its strong and integrated programs in clinical care, research, ...
Laboratory Safety Specialist, The University of Chicago, United States, about 3 hours ago
Department PME Administration About the Department The Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering (PME) was established in May 2019 and evolved from the Institute for Molecular Engineering, which wa...
Senior Director, Administration, The University of Chicago, United States, 6 days ago
Department UCPE Leadership Administration About the Department Job Summary The job manages multiple related teams of managers and professional staff within the University, primarily in the areas o...
Research Professional Big Data, The University of Chicago, United States, about 4 hours ago
Department Becker Friedman Institute Programming About the Department The Becker Friedman Institute for Economics (BFI) works with the Chicago Economics community to turn its evidence-based resear...