The Assistant Director of Social Media is responsible for creating and implementing an overarching social media strategy for the UMass Boston brand. Specifically, they will develop goals, objectives and a implementation plan to deliver on these goals. In addition to strategic leaderships, they are responsible for creating content designed to boost digital engagement across UMass Boston’s top-level social channels. Working most closely with the Executive Director of Digital Marketing, this individual will draw on their experience in the digital realm to produce engaging photo, video, and text content, on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, designed to activate audiences including prospective students, current students, faculty, staff, and alumni. The Assistant Director of Social Media will be able to identify areas of opportunity for engagement and quickly craft content to boost the university’s goals and brand. This individual will build relationships with UMass Boston community members and maintain a master calendar of social posts for the university.
The successful candidate must have strong writing, photography, and video production skills, and must enthusiastically embrace the UMass Boston brand. In this role, the individual is also responsible for monitoring social media content on behalf of the university for real-time feedback from the community via comments and direct messages. This role is also responsible for monitoring hashtags and threads during events and for breaking news information .
Examples of Duties:
- Work closely with Executive Director of Digital Marketing to design strategy and content for paid and organic enrollment and student success campaigns. Also responsible for sharing the existing Social Media policy with campus stakeholders.
- Maintain master content calendar and scheduling for social posts (e.g., via Sprout Social) on main UMass Boston social accounts, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, TikTok, and LinkedIn.
- Create quick-turn video, photo, and text content to highlight university events and goals. (Note: This requires that most work hours be spent on campus, provided that campus is open.)
- Act as content liaison with outside vendors of video and photography assets.
- Act as content liaison with other UMass Boston offices and departments, including Admissions, Student Financial Services, Financial Aid, Academic Services and Registrar.
- Contribute to overarching marketing strategy and planning as needed.
- Community Engagement Management of all university handles, feeds and direct messaging monitoring for comments, breaking news, urgent matters.
- Other tasks as required.
Bachelor’s Degree required. Minimum three years' experience in content creation for social media of a medium-to-large organization. Experience in higher education preferred but not required. Experience with Sprout Social, Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, and other content creation/posting tools strongly emphasized.
- Excellent writing and storytelling skills.
- Broad-ranging proficiency with digital photo and video creation.
- Comfortable interviewing students, staff, faculty, and alumni and inspiring user-generated content.
- Proficient with organizational use of and segmentation between Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn, among other channels.
- Proven ability posting to social channels at an organizational level and tracking engagement metrics.
- Familiarity with self-serve ad platforms not required but a plus.
- Comfortable working independently with pressure of a busy marketing environment.
- Knowledge of foreign languages and cultures highly desirable.
- Familiarity with UMass Boston a plus.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and to confirm proof of their vaccination status including booster. Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, you must wear a face covering in public indoor spaces on campus.
Communications Internship Part Time, UMass President's Office, United States, about 11 hours ago
Apply now Job no:516103 Position type:Internship Campus:UMass President's Office Campus Location: Beacon Street-Boston Department: PO-Communications Categories:Public Relations, Marketing, Communi...
Digital Marketing Coordinator, Mba Admissions, Harvard University, United States, 26 days ago
01-Sep-2022 Harvard Business School 59664BR Job Summary MBA Admissions seeks a Digital Marketing Coordinator to work with the broader MBA Admissions Marketing team to reach out to prospective stud...
Temporary Communication Specialist, Brandeis University, United States, about 1 hour ago
The Crown Center for Middle East Studies seeks a dynamic, skilled, and collaborative communications specialist to join our team. The communications specialist plays a vital role in implementing th...
Multimedia Producer, Sloan Management Review (Smr), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 2 days ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. MULTIMEDIA PRODUCER, Sloan School of Management-Sloan Management Review (SMR), to reach and engage...
Producer, Harvard University, United States, 26 days ago
01-Sep-2022 Harvard Medical School 59812BR Position Description The Producer for the Office for External Education’s (OEE) Product Development group contributes to a growing portfolio of education...
Business Associate, UMass President's Office, United States, about 11 hours ago
Apply now Job no:516091 Position type:Staff Full Time Campus:UMass President's Office Campus Location: South St Shrewsbury Department: Unified Procurement Serv Team Categories:Business & Financia...