Job TitleAssistant Director of Residence Education
AgencyTexas A&M University - Commerce
DepartmentResidential Living And Learning - ResEd
Proposed Minimum Salary
Proposed Minimum SalaryCommensurate
Job LocationCommerce, Texas
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
During the application process the “My Experience ” page has a section provided “Attachments (Resume/CV, References, Cover letter, etc.) ” to upload required documents.
- Use the Upload button to add each document.
- You will be able to upload up to 5 documents. Be aware that the maximum size allowed for any one document is 5MB.
- All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered.
- Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
Please provide the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required at time of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective staff member to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
Please do not withdraw your application in an attempt to upload a missing document. If you need assistance with this or any other matters, please contact us at HR.Hiring@tamuc.edu .
The Assistant Director of Residence Education, reporting to the Associate Director of Residence Education, is a professional staff member who directly oversees a team of Community Directors (Masters Level), Assistant Community Directors (Graduate students), and/ or Graduate Assistants (Graduate students) to ensure residents are provided with a safe, healthy, residential environment geared toward the whole student, and advance departmental initiatives. The Assistant Director will share responsibilities for committees and departmental initiatives with other midlevel professional staff, determined year to year based on experience and desire to take on new endeavors.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Supervision & Development of Staff (30%)
- Ensure accurate and timely completion of administrative tasks delegated to area staff
- Conduct regularly scheduled individual and group meetings with area staff; monitor and evaluate area staff performance; address performance issues as required
- Assist in the selection and hiring process for professional and student staff; assist in developing and presenting training programs for professional and student staff
- In coordination with other RLL team members, facilitate Residence Hall Association program including advising, oversight of elections, and Hall Council/ Representative engagement
- Assist in developing department policy and procedures; assist in the coordination of operations and processes
- Assist with oversight of camps/ conferences budget, overall programming budget, and related budget lines, including RHA and LLC budgets
Student Conduct & Crisis Response (15%)
- Establish clear guidelines and expectations for student staff concerning confidentiality and reporting of psychological concerns, roommate conflicts and personal crisis, policy enforcement and associated documentation with area staff
- Communicate institutional expectations for staff and student behavior to area staff; mediate and supervise resident disputes and discipline cases when needed
- Follow-up on disciplinary matters and with students experiencing issues; make counseling referrals where necessary
- Provide backup duty coverage for para-and professional staff members in assigned area
Guest Services (20%)
- In coordination with additional RLL team members, facilitate the summer housing program and/ or the camps and conferences program;
- Serve as a liaison between RLL and University camps and conferences staff regarding camp/ conference scheduling, room turnover, supply ordering and inventory, University receipt of completed trainings and background checks for camp staff, check in and check out processes, etc.
- Oversee ACHUO-I Internship selection process and the selection process for summer student staff including summer RAs and Camp/ Conference Assistants
- Provide oversight to Community Directors, interns, and student staff with Summer Housing and/ or Summer Camps collateral assignments
- Assist with VIP and temporary guest housing management and billing
Academic Initiatives (15%)
- Support the academic mission of the University and the department via administering the Lions for a Lifetime Residential Curriculum
- In coordination with additional RLL team members, ensure residential curriculum strategies within the residential community meet Learning Goals and/ or Learning Outcomes
- Assist in management of Residential Curriculum tools such as Roompact, Qualtrics, etc.
- Assist in coordination of Living Learning Community (LLC) program, including engagement with the campus proposal and selection process, recruitment, and collaborating with LLC advisors for LLC success
- Create cross campus partnerships to advance academic success within the residential communities
- Facilitate recognition opportunities for resident and student staff academic success
Operations & Billing (10%)
- Conduct on-going assessments of the physical condition of buildings in designated area, including individual rooms, common areas and immediate ground areas; assist with identification of improvement projects for assigned areas
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with Maintenance and Custodial Staff
- Supervise and assist in management of area damage billing; adjudicate damage appeals when needed
Departmental, Division, and Professional Commitments (10%)
- The position presents many opportunities to become involved on campus and pursue professional development and interests through committees and campus partnerships. Involvement in student affairs professional regional and/or national associations is also supported and encouraged.
- Education: Master’s degree in student personnel, higher education, counseling or a related area is required OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Four (4) years extensive and diverse experience in the following areas is required: staff development and supervision, administration of residence hall operations, and facilitating and supervising student development programming activities. Experience in student housing or residence life. Minimum of one year of experience working with summer camps and conference.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: Valid driver’s license. Certified or must obtain certification to drive motor pool vehicles within 60 days of start date.
- Physical Requirements: None
- Other Requirements: Occasional evening and weekend hours are to be expected and embraced. Required to obtain a TX driver’s license and be certified to drive motor pool vehicles within 60 days of start date.
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
Previous experience with responsibility for oversight of a University Housing camps and conferences program preferred. Previous experience with Living Learning Communities and working with faculty is preferred. Previous experience with residential curriculum is preferred. Previous experience with residential software/ programs such as StarRez, Transact, Advocate/ Maxient, and/ or Roompact is preferred. Bilingual preferred; at a minimum, the ability to understand and to make oneself understood in English and at least one other language.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
Community Directors, Assistant Community Directors, Graduate students, student workers, full-time professional staff and temporary workers.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/AffirmativeAction/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
Resident Director, Berklee College of Music, United States, about 24 hours ago
Job Description: The Resident Director (RD) is responsible for the residential life functions in one or more residence halls, housing up to 450 students. Through supervision of up to 12 Resident A...
Program Specialist I, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, about 2 hours ago
Job Title Program Specialist I Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Civil Engineering Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff Job Description Job...
Program Manager, Berklee College of Music, United States, about 24 hours ago
Job Description: The Program Manager will report directly to the Dean of Africana Studies. As a new division, the successful candidate will provide administrative and other support services for th...
Academic Advisor Ii, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, 10 days ago
Job Title Academic Advisor II Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Materials Science & Engineering Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff Job De...
Full Time Faculty, Music Business/Management, Berklee College of Music, United States, about 24 hours ago
Job Description: The Music Business/Management Department within the Professional Education Division at Berklee College of Music is now accepting applications for a full-time faculty position adva...
Administrative Coordinator I, TAMHSC, United States, 30 minutes ago
Job Title Administrative Coordinator I Agency Texas A&M University Health Science Center Department Primary Care & Population Health Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location Bryan, Texas ...