Division of Continuing Education
Reporting to the Director of Predegree Advising & Admissions, Harvard Extension School (HES), the Assistant Director will work in close collaboration with colleagues from across the Division of Continuing Education on a range of projects to continually improve departmental strategy and operations while also performing some student advising and staff supervision. In addition to strong analytics skills, this person should possess good judgment, communicate well, and be enthused to play a critical role on an engaged, high-performing team.
- Develop and analyze reports and statistics related to office scheduling and phone systems, advisors’ workloads, student satisfaction, and application submission; share findings through effective written, visual, and verbal communications
- Evaluate existing systems and implement new initiatives to improve the strategic direction of the office
- Manage application review periods and the revision and production of admission materials and videos
- Act as essential analyst and thought partner to senior leadership on projects and strategic analyses related to predegree advising and admission
- Represent the department in meetings and events related to HES frontline activities and organize the staff’s involvement as required
- Maintain department’s best practices documentation and staff training manuals
- Assist the Associate Director of Admissions Technology and Implementation Management with application editing, testing, and troubleshooting; MIS sprint planning; Marketing Cloud reporting; and the design and maintenance of custom online portals for predegree students and program applicants
- Evaluate and elevate requests to the Associate Director for new technology functionality or updates that might increase efficiency in processes or communications to benefit advisors’ workflow and/or enhance the student experience
- Directly supervise several staff, ensuring their work meets the department’s standards and aligning their goals with those of the department, School, and Division
- Counsel and advise prospective students about HES degree programs, admission requirements, the application process, and other inquiries
- Process applications and admit students to HES degree programs
- Contribute to a collaborative culture with willingness to both teach and learn from colleagues
- Perform related duties as required
Typical Core Duties
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
- Manage admissions operations such as recruitment event planning and communications to prospective students, parents and alumni, and applicant tracking and advising
- Lead recruitment efforts and make recommendations on the selection of candidates for admission
- Prepare and analyze reports to improve outreach and recruitment efforts
- May assist with the preparation and administration of departmental budget
- Represent university as the spokesperson at high level admissions events and/or functions
- Serve as the principal source of information on admissions policies and procedures and provide guidance to faculty, students and staff
- Assist in developing departmental policies and procedures, recommend improvements
- Ensure compliance with university admissions policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations with respect to students’ rights to privacy
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Advanced degree in management or related field preferred
- Experience managing people and processes preferred
- Experience using the following technology preferred: Salesforce, Tableau, Marketing Cloud, TargetX, Banner
- Strong skills in the Microsoft suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) preferred
- Strong communication, public speaking, and interpersonal skills
- Composure, diplomacy, discretion, and a positive attitude toward customer service
- Familiarity with Harvard Extension School degree program admissions is a plus
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize, and complete tasks in an organized and expedient manner, meeting challenges creatively and effectively
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks independently while also being flexible enough to work productively as part of a team
- Excitement to learn new skills and tools as they become needed
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Please consult the duties listed under Job Specific Responsibilities, as they align closer to the position than those listed under Typical Duties.
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
In order to be considered for this role, a resume and cover letter must be submitted with application.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) comprises several entities serving about 30,000 students annually. The Harvard Extension School, the Harvard Summer School, the Harvard Professional Development Programs and the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement allow Harvard to serve the learning needs of students across their life. For more than a century, Harvard Extension School has made Harvard faculty and teaching accessible to a diverse community of local, national, and international students. Harvard Extension School enrolls approximately 17,000 students per year in approximately 46 graduate and undergraduate liberal arts and professional fields. More than 1,500 open enrollment courses are offered year-round with over 600 available online are offered at affordable prices to our communities across the world. Harvard Summer School offers approximately 450 courses on the Harvard Campus to 11,000 secondary school, college and adult learners and more than 30 international study abroad programs for up to 600 students each summer. The Division also includes the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement with approximately 550 active members and Harvard Professional Development Programs offering nearly 130 short noncredit programs to more than 3,200 participants annually.
All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Faculty & Student Services
USA - MA - Cambridge
S0056M FSS Admissions Mgt II
Division of Continuing Education
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, Education, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts Boston, United States, 1 day ago
The Department of Nursing invites applicants to join our diverse college as Assistant Professor on the tenure-track beginning September 1, 2022. Research experience is required and an established ...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Babson College, United States, 16 days ago
Division Summary: The Operations and Information Management Division at Babson College includes faculty with expertise teaching and researching issues related to evolving technologies that acceler...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Babson College, United States, about 4 hours ago
Babson College is seeking a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer ( not a Tenure track position) in Operations and Information Management Division for the 2022-23 academic year. Responsibilities include tea...
Director Of International Center, Bunker Hill Community College, United States, 44 minutes ago
About Bunker Hill Community College: Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, an...
Research Scientist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 5 days ago
MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS Mathematics-Simons Collaboration on Arithmetic Geometry, Number Theory, and Computation, to join an MIT-based team working under the...
Scientist Ii, Cancer Immunologic Data Commons, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, United States, about 18 hours ago
Scientist II, Cancer Immunologic Data Commons Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Boston, MA Full Time PTL Remote: 2-3 days remote/wk The Department of Data Science seeks a Scientist II to lead the devel...