Stdnt Conduct & Community Stnd
The Assistant Director for Student Conduct and Community Standards is an unclassified position in the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards reporting to the Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards. This position works directly with students charged with violating the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities and serves as the primary liaison to KU Student Housing. The Assistant Director is involved in a variety of activities covering the entire student conduct process (e.g. investigating and adjudicating allegations of non-academic misconduct), participating in the training of University Hearing Officers, and assisting with office outreach to other departments. The primary focus of Student Conduct and Community Standards at the University of Kansas is educational, seeking to educate students about their responsibilities to the university community and evaluating the impact their behaviors have on the university community.
The Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards addresses incidents of non-academic misconduct on campus and educates students about the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Through the core values of Respect, Community, Integrity, and Responsibility, the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards seeks to foster a holistic learning environment through education focused on community membership and standards.
The Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards exists within the Division of Student Affairs. Student Affairs engages the University of Kansas community in services and programs that make learning possible. Student Affairs provides a KU student experience in which every student is supported by the campus environment, connected to the institution, and prepared for the challenges of today and tomorrow.
55% Student Conduct Administration
- Serves as a Hearing Officer for alleged violations of the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
- Reviews, evaluates, investigates, adjudicates, and sets sanctions for cases of alleged student misconduct violations in accordance with appropriate University policies and processes.
- Serves as an investigator for alleged violations committed by student organizations.
- Maintains records and files of disciplinary cases in keeping with applicable University policies and state/federal laws.
- Conducts regular follow-up with students who have not completed assigned sanctions and places administrative holds on accounts when appropriate.
- Inputs, maintains, and updates information regarding cases, inquiries, and content in respective databases.
- Assists with compliance requirements involving student conduct.
- In conjunction with Watkins Health Services, Health Education Resource Office (HERO), implements and monitors appropriate educational sanctions regarding alcohol and drugs.
- Assists in biennial review and potential revisions of the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
- Serves as the primary liaison to KU Student Housing undergraduate, graduate, and professional staff.
- Develops, maintains, and updates training materials for Student Housing Hearing Officers, including manuals, tools, and an online knowledge base.
- Monitors the performance of Student Housing Hearing Officers through initial training and qualification, regular assessment activities, monthly meetings, and ongoing feedback.
- Facilitates ongoing trainings and educational sessions for students, faculty, and staff.
- Evaluates training efficacy and advances best practices in student conduct and community standards at the University of Kansas.
- Attends functions on behalf of the Office of Student Affairs (orientation, welcome events, etc.).
- Participates in other committees, task forces, or work groups on behalf of the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.
- Administers conduct assessment practices via Maxient and reports findings to Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards for review.
- Participates in annual assessment projects that evaluate the efficacy and the learning outcomes of the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.
- Continually monitors best practices in the field of Student Conduct and assists in implementation where appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned
Contact Information to Applicants
Katie Treadwell, Katie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application will include:
- A cover letter addressing how required and preferred qualifications are met.
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for three professional references.
Review of applications begins on Monday May 20, 2019. To be considered, please apply no later than May 19, 2019.
Advertised Salary Range
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
University of Kansas - Lawrence
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
This position requires evening and weekend commitments. The Assistant Director’s work schedule will be adjusted accordingly to balance these commitments.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policies_procedures/category_details/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or email@example.com for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu , 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.