Location: Chicago, Illinois
Internal Number: JR24427
Location: Chicago, IL
- Student Group Advising and Project Management - oversees and supports student-led groups by advising on strategy and execution of their program plans; conducts regular check-in meetings; tracks the progress of student group goals (for The Gate, Leaders of Color, TechTeam, W+, and other student initiatives). Advises and serves as staff liaison to the IOPâ™s student advisory board.Â
- Mentorship - builds rapport with student leaders and civic engagement students; serves as a student facing IOP staff resource for all interested University of Chicago students; plans and executes orientation and onboarding programs for new IOP students.Â
- Budget and Operations - administers, tracks, and reconciles Civic Engagement budget; troubleshoots administrative and technical questions; works with Finance Intern to administer check reimbursements; assists student leaders with access to resources such as venue reservation and third-party purchases; oversees and enforces IOP policies for space reservation and third-party purchases for student-led groups and IOP staff who work with student-led groups.Â
- Leadership Development - works with the Director of Civic and Student Engagement to envision, design, and implement signature leadership development programming for highly engaged students at the IOP. This includes advising the IOPâ™s student advisory board and creating integrative leadership development training and experiences for all highly engaged students for IOP students to strengthen their leadership skills. Â
- Democratic Engagement - leads student voter engagement strategy, operations, and advising. Develops and maintains partnerships with national student voting organizations. Advises and supports peer-led nonpartisan voter engagement group, UChiVotes. Â
- Evaluations - works with the Director of Civic and Student Engagement to administer and analyze evaluations of Civic Engagement programming; works with the Director to write summaries and reports of Civic Engagement programming for external and internal audiences.Â
- Data - maintains data about student engagement in the Civic Engagement Program; updates CRM.Â
- Project Management - works with the Director of Civic and Student Engagement to track progress on all Civic Engagement programming and projects to ensure that the CE Program is executing its program goals in a timely manner.Â
- Team Management - works with the Director of Civic and Student Engagement to manage the student team (two Civic Engagement interns and 1-2 Student Advisory Board Civic Engagement chair(s)).Â
- IOP Collaboration - works with the Director of Civic and Student Engagement to coordinate outreach and highlight CE programming with the Communications team; coordinates student opportunities with the Career Development, Fellows, Speaker Series teams.Â
- Partnership Management - works with the Director of Civic and Student Engagement to maintain relationships and communication with internal University and external partners, such as campus voter registration organizations, Chicago government agencies, Chicago community organizations, higher education institutions; and supports engagement initiatives with campus partners on shared programming. Â
- Voter Engagement - serves as the lead for voter engagement work of the IOP. This includes leading voter registration efforts for the University of Chicago by advising UChiVotes, the IOPâ™s student-led, nonpartisan voter initiative; maintaining contact with local and national elections partners and campus officials; reviewing University of Chicago voting and voter engagement data/reports; managing the TurboVote platform; and collaborating with and training student groups, academic and administrative departments and individuals who are invested in voter registration and turnout.Â
- Guides students and staff to develop and implement activities, programs, and initiatives related to student life, and/or community involvement.Â
- Markets student activities programming throughout the year. Develops and implements protocols for evaluating the effectiveness of programs.Â
- Performs other related work as needed.
- A minimum of 5 years of administrative experience in student program management, campus student life, event planning, office management, or executive administrator roles.Â
- Planning and managing budgets and contracts.
- Managing event logistics, including catering, venue selection, guest travel and RSVP processes.
- Interest in, and some knowledge about politics and public policy.Â
- An understanding of the University of Chicago or other university settings.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Skilled in the use of Google Docs, Microsoft Excel and knowledge of other Microsoft Office programs.
- A demonstrated passion for the mission of the Institute of Politics and for working with students in the areas of politics, public service, and civic engagement.
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated initiative, and the ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Multi-task, meet deadlines and work successfully in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail and commitment to accuracy and confidentiality.Â Strong project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively track and manage program details in an organized manner.
- Excellent writing, research (quantitative and qualitative) and oral communication skills.
- Work successfully within the University community including students, faculty and staff.
- Work successfully with external organizations and individuals on behalf of the Institute of Politics.
- Evening and weekend flexibility for off-site programming and student initiative support.
- Some travel.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
- References Contact Information (3)(required)
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Create a Job Alert for Similar Jobs
About University of Chicago (UC)
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.
Connections working at University of Chicago (UC)
More Jobs from This Employer
Return to Search Results
Associate Vice Chancellor Government Affairs And Civic Engagement, , City Colleges of Chicago, United States, about 6 hours ago
The mission of the Office of Legislative & Community Affairs is to: Ø provide legislative, regulatory, and financial support to CCC through proactive representation at the local, state, and feder...
Faculty Open Rank/Physician Surgeon Surgery, University of Illinois, United States, 24 days ago
Faculty Open Rank/Physician Surgeon - Surgery Hiring Department: Surgery Location: Chicago, IL USA Requisition ID: 1023513 Posting Close Date: 2/16/24 About the University of Illinois Chicago UIC...
Temporary U Chicago Youth Internship Program – Program Administrator (Part Time, Temporary Position), The University of Chicago, United States, about 15 hours ago
Department Civic Engagement Office of Special Programs: Staff About the Department At the University of Chicago, civic engagement is an institution-wide commitment that encompasses our contrib...
Clinical Physician (Behavioral Health And Addiction), University of Illinois, United States, 14 days ago
Clinical Physician (Behavioral Health and Addiction) Hiring Department: Behavioral Health and Addiction Location: Chicago, IL USA Requisition ID: 1022920 Posting Close Date: 02/23/2024 About the ...
Extra Help Dental Assistant I Dental Clinics, University of Illinois, United States, 17 days ago
Extra Help - Dental Assistant I - Dental Clinics This Position is temporary, non-benefits eligible, and is limited to 900 hours. Hiring Department: Dental Clinics Location: Chicago, IL USA Requis...
Clinical Instructor/Clinical Pharmacist, Oncology Clinic Pharmacy, University of Illinois, United States, about 18 hours ago
Clinical Instructor/Clinical Pharmacist, Oncology Clinic Pharmacy Hiring Department: Ambulatory Pharmacy Services Location: Chicago, IL USA Requisition ID: 1023833 Posting Close Date: March 10, ...