About the Opportunity
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified .
Serve as Assistant Director of Northeastern University’s Office of Academic & Research Safety (OARS), supporting the needs of a diverse and growing research institution. Collaborate with the OARS Director to help grow our Boston-based office. Support the Director across many safety programs including incident response and emergency management. Responsible for backing up the Director and overseeing critical functions of the OARS team. The primary duties are to serve as the University’s Chemical Hygiene Officer, manage the Laboratory Safety Team and Programs, mentor and collaborate with other NEU’s professionals and staff. This position reports to the Director of OARS and is consider a critical member of the OARS team.
- Knowledge and skills for this position are normally obtained through completion of a Master of Science in chemistry, chemical engineering, and/or other applicable engineering or technical field. Other Degrees may be considered.
- Minimum of 10 years of demonstrated professional experience incorporating applicable federal, state, and local regulatory requirements and best management practices into laboratory operations.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience working in Academic Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) office or similar compliance capacity involving regular engagement with laboratory personnel, local State, Federal regulatory agencies as a part of a safety audit program.
- Demonstrated experience supervising technical and support staff. Proven ability to lead and mentor personnel and manage complex technical programs and projects.
- Required Credentials: must be eligible to sit for the Certified Industrial Hygienist exam and obtain certification within 1st two years of employment.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and construction of research laboratories and applicable engineering controls needed to mitigate risk.
- Demonstrated knowledge of chemical nomenclature, chemical risks, and associated hazard control strategies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of environmental and hazardous material/waste principles as well as ability to understand and interpret complex written regulations and technical reports. Working knowledge of organic, inorganic, and organometallic nomenclature and their incorporation into academic research.
- Experience with or ability to learn and utilize a Learning Management System (LMS) such as BlackBoard, Canvas, as well as a data management platform such as BioRaft, to implement safety training and other safety program management needs.
- Be medically qualified to wear respiratory protection and other personal protective equipment as well as lift to 25 lbs.
- Work in a variety of physical environments where hazardous materials or equipment are in storage or use.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Assists the director in the management of the OARS team and supports the Environmental Compliance and Occupational Safety (ECOS) Team. Provide leadership in all aspects of academic and research safety contributing to strategic planning and long-term decision making.
- Directs the review of proposed projects and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and university policies
- Serves as OARS Emergency Response Officer and will refine, develop, manage, and maintain a 24 hour/356 day rotating on-call response program that meets all applicable Federal, State, Local and University regulations. Serves on the management team with the Director and participates in developing and implementing the overall departmental strategic plan.
- Applies expertise in chemical safety, process safety management, and Industrial Hygiene to formulate, implement and maintain new and ongoing policies and procedures.
- Supervises the day-to-day operations of assigned area including the supervision of Lab safety Team members.
- Provides guidance and direction to staff involved in Lab safety services and programs.
- Responsible for ensuring that all Laboratory Safety programs, activities, and series comply with university, state, and federal regulations. Responsible for maintaining an inclusive working environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. Establishes performance goals and measures to evaluate success of assigned area of responsibility. Performs other duties as assigned by the Director or other appropriate administrator.
Legal and Regulatory Administration
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity .
Specialist, Environmental Management, Environmental Management (23500494940223), Boston University, United States, 6 days ago
The Environmental Specialist is responsible for assisting the Associate Director of Environmental Management in the on-going management of the environmental programs at Boston University (BU) and ...
Laboratory Supervisor, College Of Arts & Sciences, Chemistry (23500008910209), Boston University, United States, 6 days ago
Laboratory Supervisor for the Department of Chemistry instructional laboratories. This position supports advanced (200-level and up) courses in organic chemistry. Responsibilities include Preparin...
Assistant/Associate/Professor, Mathematical Modeling And Computation, Northeastern University, United States, 5 days ago
Northeastern University Department of Mathematics: Open Rank: Assistant/Associate/Professor, Mathematical Modeling and Computation About Northeastern: Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global res...
Athletics Equipment & Facility Coordinator, Babson College, United States, 4 days ago
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director, Internal Operations (with joint reporting to Senior Associate Athletic Director, Athletics Facilities), the Athletics Equipment and Facilit...
Director, Radiation Safety, Research Compliance, Radiation Protection (23500067940222), Boston University, United States, 6 days ago
The Director of Medical Physics and Radiation Safety works under the direction of the Executive Director and supports the administrative, operational and staffing needs of both the Medical Physici...
Research Technician, Case Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 2 days ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. RESEARCH TECHNICIAN, Biology-Case Lab , to join a new research team studying cell signaling. The l...