Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Under the supervision of the Head Coach, the purpose of this position is to use athletics as a tool to educate college students. By using inter-collegiate competition and all activities related to such competition, this position serves as a teacher and mentor to help build student character, prepare students for a constructive and effective life, and teach valuable life lessons including work ethic; discipline; resilience; persistence; teamwork and selflessness; goal-setting and goal achievement; overcoming adversity; and leadership. This position typically influences student-athletes for their entire four years at Harvard and plays a key role in shaping their personal development.
This position assists in planning, directing, and coaching the inter-collegiate Softball program. Typically works with all student-athletes in the program. May supervise other Assistant Coaches, Coaching Assistants, and/or Volunteer Coaches.
This position plays a key leadership role for the Softball program. Will fill in when the Head Coach is absent. Typically has a significant role as liaison with Athletics administrative departments. Requires experience coaching at the collegiate level or comparable experience, which may include coaching/teaching at the professional level. Particularly for sports that are more prominent on an international level than in the United States, comparable experience may include playing in a professional or other high-performance environment, such as for a national team or at the Olympic level.
This is a one-year term position renewable at the discretion of the Head Coach and Athletic Director.
1. Athlete Team Management
- Assists Head Coach in developing, coordinating, and planning practices and competition to develop student-athlete skills and helps team perform at competitive levels.
- Develops, coordinates, and plans assigned portions of practices and game management consistent with Head Coach's strategic vision.
- Analyzes video to scout opponents and develop strategies for team development.
- Executes a student-athlete talent recruitment plan and retention strategy consistent with values of excellence and inclusion.
- Effectively leads and communicates with students by generating enthusiasm for the team through credible coaching.
- Supports culture of education through athletics. Assists in academic integration with team.
2. Operational Complexity
- Assists in the development and execution of team strategy, logistics, and operational direction.
- Operates within budget.
- Maintains compliance with University, Ivy League, NCAA, and other rules and regulations.
- Coordinates with less-experienced coaches in implementing objectives.
- Participates in professional development activities; follows trends and embraces innovation opportunities.
- Assists head coach in problem resolution.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively with the Head Coach and athletics administrators.
3. Communication & Influence
- Assists Head Coach in maintaining and building viewership, and maintaining and creating positive media interest, consistent with the applicable sport.
- Supports the Head Coach in influencing public interest where applicable.
4. People Management
- Work effectively as a team and collaborate with other coaches on staff.
- Supervisory skills helpful when working with the Operations Assistant on staff and any team managers.
- Direct fellow coaches on staff as needed.
In addition, the Assistant Coach will:
- Be responsible for on-field coaching and instruction specifically with the pitching staff.
- Have overall knowledge of the game with ability to breakdown skills and think strategically.
- Be able to hit fungo to infield and outfield, throw center toss, and catch pitching warm-ups.
- Assist Head Coach in developing leaders and motivating students.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Requires a combination of at least 5 years of softball coaching, collegiate playing, and/or Olympic experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Master’s degree desired
- Collegiate softball coaching preferred
- Requires substantial mastery of sport-specific knowledge and relevant issues.
- Understands the philosophy, principles, and policies of college athletics (including the University Conflict of Interest and Commitment policy).
- Requires moderate management and leadership knowledge.
- Expertise training hitters or pitchers is preferred.
- Ability to throw batting practice is helpful
- Experience identifying high academic achieving student-athletes is a plus
- Comfort with use of technology to record games, upload and edit film.
- Familiarity with Synergy a plus.
Certificates and Licenses
- Valid driver's license needed.
- CPR and First Aid required.
- Must be able to lift equipment associated with the sport.
- Evening and weekend work required.
- Job requires work in extreme environmental conditions, including extreme heat and cold, rain, and high levels of noise.
Work Format: In Person
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Harvard is a highly selective liberal arts college whose mission is to educate citizens and citizen-leaders for our society. The College is a residential institution of nearly 7,000 undergraduates and is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Harvard is deeply committed to the intellectual, social and personal transformation of its undergraduates during their four years at Harvard.
The Department of Athletics offers 42 varsity programs for men and women, more than any other Division I school in the United States. We also offer extensive recreational and intramural programs.
Harvard employees have access to a competitive benefits package that includes multiple options for the health and well-being of our employees as well as ongoing professional development.
All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources. We regret that, due to the number of responses we typically receive, we may be unable to respond to phone calls or contact personally those applicants not selected for an interview.
We regret that we are unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
We actively seek and welcome applications from diverse candidates and from those with a demonstrable commitment to a more inclusive society.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Boston
AT2000 Assistant Coach
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Appointment End Date
Criminal, DMV, Education, Identity
Evening and weekend work required.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Asst/Assoc Volleyball Coach, University of Mississippi, United States, 5 days ago
The University of Mississippi is currently accepting applications for Assistant/Associate Volleyball Coach, level to be determined by scope of relevant experience, to assist the Head Coach in all ...
Assistant Volleyball Coach, University of Mississippi, United States, about 3 hours ago
The University of Mississippi is currently accepting applications for Assistant Volleyball Coach, level to be determined by scope of relevant experience, to assist the Head Coach in all aspects of...
Assistant Women's Soccer Coach, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 9 hours ago
Assistant Women's Soccer Coach Athletics Administration - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008911) The University of Pittsburgh, Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is seeking a qualified candidat...
Assistant Football Coach, Offensive Coordinator, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 8 hours ago
Assistant Football Coach, Offensive Coordinator Athletics Administration - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008728) The University of Pittsburgh Athletic Department is seeking qualified candidates for...
Head Women's Volleyball Coach, Ave Maria University, United States, 1 day ago
PRIMARY PURPOSE: The primary duty of the Head Women’s Volleyball Coach is to teach, train, and develop the skills of student athletes in the sports of volleyball and beach volleyball while integra...
Assistant Coach, Women's Golf, Pennsylvania State University, United States, 9 days ago
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: CURRENT PENN STATE EMPLOYEE (faculty, staff, technical service, or student), please login to Workday to complete the internal application process . Please do not apply h...