Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Under the direction of the Head Coach, the purpose of this position is to use athletics as a tool to educate college students. By using intercollegiate competition and all activities related to such competition, this position serves as a teacher and mentor to help build student character, prepare students for a constructive and effective life, and teach valuable life lessons including work ethic; discipline; resilience; persistence; teamwork and selflessness; goal-setting and goal achievement; overcoming adversity; and leadership. This position typically influences student-athletes for their entire four years at Harvard and plays a key role in shaping their personal development.
This position assists in planning, directing, and coaching the men’s & women’s inter-collegiate track & field/cross country program. Typically works with all student-athletes in the program.
This position typically requires experience coaching at the collegiate level or comparable experience. Comparable experience may include coaching/teaching at the professional level. Particularly for sports that are more prominent on an international level than in the United States, comparable experience may include playing in a professional or other high-performance environment, such as for a national team or at the Olympic level.
This is a one-year term position renewable at the discretion of the Head Coach and the Athletics Director. Full-time, partial year (11 months).
1. Athlete Team Management
- Focuses on developing student-athlete skills, helping to plan and execute practices, supporting in-contest management, and coordinating a portion of team programming of particular importance. Helps team perform at competitive levels.
- Typically has some impact on developing the skills for a portion of student-athletes.
- Requires the ability to effectively communicate with students by generating enthusiasm through credible coaching.
- Assists in analyzing video for individual and team development.
- Assists in recruiting and retaining talent consistent with values of excellence and inclusion; assists in developing team enthusiasm for recruitment and retention.
- Supports culture of education through athletics. Assists in academic integration with team, as appropriate.
2. Operational Complexity
- Typically assists in the execution of strategy, logistics, and operational direction of the team, with greater supervision. Where expenditures are permitted, operates within budget.
- Participates in professional activities, as appropriate. With instruction, follows trends and embraces innovation opportunities.
- Problems faced may be moderately complex.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively with the coaching staff and athletics administrators.
The Assistant Coach assists the Director in all aspects of administering six Division I Cross Country, Indoor, and Outdoor Track and Field teams. Responsibilities include running aspects of the practices, assisting in making strategic decisions in competition situations and assisting and participating in recruiting. This position will serve to handle many of the administrative responsibilities for the Men and Women’s Cross Country and Track and Field.
This position is for an event coach for the throwing events.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Requires at least 2 years of coaching, professional, or Olympic experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Requires substantial sport-specific knowledge and knowledge of relevant issues.
- Understands the philosophy, principles, and policies of college athletics (including the University Conflict of Interest and Commitment policy).
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suites preferred.
- Basic internet and email capabilities required.
Certificates and Licenses
- Valid drivers’ license needed.
- CPR and First Aid required.
- Must be able to lift equipment associated with the sport.
- Evening and weekend work required.
- Job requires work in extreme environmental conditions, including extreme heat and cold, rain, and high levels of noise.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Harvard is a highly selective liberal arts college whose mission is to educate citizens and citizen-leaders for our society. The College is a residential institution of nearly 7,000 undergraduates and is located in Cambridge, MA. Harvard is deeply committed to the intellectual, social, and personal transformation of its undergraduates during their four years at Harvard. The Department of Athletics offers 42 varsity programs for men and women, more than any other Division I school in the United States.
Harvard employees have access to a wide range of educational offerings, including world-class museums, tuition assistance, and hundreds of web-based learning programs. Our benefits package is superior and provides multiple options for the health and well-being of our employees. Being located in Cambridge is a distinct advantage since Cambridge is a lively, multi-cultural city adjacent to Boston, which is an undisputed hub of college and university life in the U.S.
We regret we are unable to offer visa sponsorship.
All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.
We believe that creating and maintaining an inclusive workplace allows employees from all backgrounds and walks of life to achieve their fullest potential. We also believe an inclusive culture is one that accepts, values, and views the differences we all bring to the workplace as strengths. We actively seek and welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups and from those with a demonstrable commitment to a more inclusive society.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Boston
AT2000 Assistant Coach
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Appointment End Date
Credit, DMV, Education, Identity
- Evening and weekend work required.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Assistant Football Coach, Offensive Coordinator, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 16 hours ago
Assistant Football Coach, Offensive Coordinator Athletics Administration - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008728) The University of Pittsburgh Athletic Department is seeking qualified candidates for...
Head Women's Volleyball Coach, Ave Maria University, United States, about 12 hours ago
PRIMARY PURPOSE: The primary duty of the Head Women’s Volleyball Coach is to teach, train, and develop the skills of student athletes in the sports of volleyball and beach volleyball while integra...
Assistant Director Of Coaching, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Would you like to have the ‘best job in the world?’ Are you passionate about guiding others to find their North Star and be the best they can be? Are you also committed to high quality coaching pr...
Director Of Women's Soccer Operations, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 18 hours ago
Director of Women's Soccer Operations Athletics Administration - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008846) The University of Pittsburgh’s Athletic Department is currently seeking a qualified Director o...
Assistant Coach, Women's Golf, Pennsylvania State University, United States, 2 days ago
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: CURRENT PENN STATE EMPLOYEE (faculty, staff, technical service, or student), please login to Workday to complete the internal application process . Please do not apply h...
Undergraduate Academic Advisor, Bellevue University, United States, 13 days ago
Primary Function: The role of a Student Coach is to provide knowledgeable assistance to students to help ensure completion of degree(s) and achievement of educational goals. Assistance is provid...