The Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law is a leader in legal education, located in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village. The law school is renowned for its program in intellectual property, which includes the FAME Center for Fashion, Arts, Media and Entertainment Law. Cardozo Law has a long tradition of public advocacy and is the birthplace of the Innocence Project and the home of our Center for Rights and Justice. Cardozo offers a world-class faculty and encourages creative thinking and innovation in the legal profession. Cardozo provides students with a strong foundation in legal theory combined with practical hands-on experience in a variety of areas including criminal law, civil rights law, and business law. The school prides itself on creating a vibrant and warm community for faculty, staff and students.
A division of Yeshiva University, Cardozo Law School offers an excellent compensation package, and a broad range of employee benefit plans. The law school is a secular institution within a religious university and welcomes people of all religions, ethnic backgrounds, races and sexual identities.
Paralegal/Administrator of the Criminal Appeals Clinic is a casual (part-time) position responsible for administration of the academic program and the paralegal support for the clinics work, including record and brief preparation; managing the court calendars for all clinic matters; and ensuring timely filing of all necessary court documents.
This employee will be required to interface with prosecutors and personnel in the prosecutors’ office, court personnel, students and the Criminal Appeals Clinic Director. Individual will be responsible for the prosecution of 10-15 appeals each year.
- Exclusively manage the caseload for the Criminal Appeals Clinic.
- Manage hard and soft (computer) files
- Handle court filing; requests for cases
- Manage detailed court calendar; manage adjournments and stipulations of adjournments
- Communicate with clinic students, court clerks and reporters, opposing attorneys, and clients
- Request missing transcripts and trial exhibits; and
- Proofread, format, complete, conform, blueback, and file motions and appeals briefs for Criminal Appeals clinics (adhering to applicable rules for citation format, tables of contents and authorities, and formatting).
Education & Experience:
- 3-4 years related paralegal and administrative experience
- Lexis/Nexis; Westlaw; Word Office Suite proficiency
Skills & Competencies:
- Meticulous attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong business judgment, and ability to collaborate closely with stakeholders from different disciplines outside of and within a team.
- Ability to prioritize requests under time pressure and handle multiple, detailed tasks efficiently
Security Officer, Columbia University, United States, 7 days ago
Job Title Security Officer Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 091490 Department 1206- FAC Public Safety 7007- CMC CUMC VP Facilities Mgmt 1216- FAC Pub Saf MV Operations Location Morningside Jo...
Patent Paralegal, Columbia University, United States, about 15 hours ago
Job Title Patent Paralegal Job Code Title 319910 Job Requisition Number 091509 Department INACTIVE-080-GENERAL COUNSEL 0108- OGC Office of General Counsel Location Morningside Job Type Officer Ful...
Assistant Director Of Operations, Columbia University, United States, about 16 hours ago
Job Title Assistant Director of Operations Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 091651 Department 5502- LAW School Administration Location Morningside Job Type Officer Full-Time Regular Bargaini...
Coding Specialist, Columbia University, United States, about 15 hours ago
Job Title Coding Specialist Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 091466 Department 7555- SUR Surgery Location Medical Center Job Type Officer Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit If temporary, indi...
Executive Assistant, Johns Hopkins University, United States, 7 days ago
General summary: The Executive Assistant provides expert administrative support for the fast-paced Office of the Dean/CEO at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. In this important and...
Sr. Intellectual Property Manager, Johns Hopkins University, United States, 1 day ago
General summary/purpose: Reporting to Portfolio Director or his/her designate, the Senior Intellectual Property (IP) Manager independently manages a docket of technologies and has advanced skills ...