ASU Knowledge Enterprise’s Department of Animal Care and Technologies is seeking an Animal Technician. As an Animal Technician you will be responsible for:
- Performing husbandry of laboratory animals, including cleaning and preparing rooms, cages and equipment, feeding and watering animals, and completing documentation related to those activities.
- Monitoring and reporting animal health cases and administering medical treatments according to veterinary instructions.
- Assisting with breeding colony management and/or assisting with research activities, including animal euthanasia.
- Working individually and as part of a team to ensure that the animal care program remains compliant with all university, state, and federal regulations.
The following post-offer screenings are required:
- Physical exam and fit testing for an N-95 respirator
- MMR and tetanus vaccinations
- Negative TB test
Research & Laboratory
Dept Animal Care Technologies
KNOWLEDGE ENTERPRISE DEV
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$16.00 - $16.06 per hour; DOE
07-May-2021 - EXTENDED
- Perform daily husbandry for animals, including feeding, watering, changing cages, and providing enrichment.
- Monitor room conditions and complete daily records, both written and electronic.
- Clean caging, equipment, animal holding rooms, and other areas of the facility.
- Operate cage washing and autoclave equipment.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work environment to meet the standards of the institution.
- Observe health and behavior of animals, report injuries or abnormalities to the veterinary team, and administer treatments as directed.
- Maintain a friendly team attitude with coworkers, veterinary team, researchers, and administration staff.
One year animal husbandry experience or American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Certification as an Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience working with animals in a research setting
- Evidence of effective communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of husbandry techniques for a variety of animal species
- Work activities are primarily performed in a climate-controlled animal research setting, with essential precautions in place for safely working with biohazards and chemicals.
- This job includes long periods of standing and low-demand walking.
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing, and pulling of up to 50 lbs may be required.
- A dynamic work environment may require the ability to quickly adjust priorities throughout the day.
- Evidence of effective communication to perform essential duties.
ASU is committed to the ethical and humane treatment of animals in advancing research that benefits humans, animals, and the environment. ASU’s Animal Care and Use Program provides animal housing, husbandry, and veterinary care; trains researchers on safe and ethical procedures; and ensures compliance with federal, state, and university regulations. The Department of Animal Care and Technologies (DACT) provides exemplary care to all animals housed on campus and technical support to all investigators and instructors who use animals to advance education and knowledge. Learn more about ASU's commitment to animal care at https://researchintegrity.asu.edu/animals
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
Laboratory Animal Care Supervisor Biologic Resources Laboratory (Job Id #142545), University of Illinois, United States, about 22 hours ago
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications Required CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER High school graduation or GED (Must attach a copy of your High School Diploma / GED or transcript) Any co...
Assistant Animal Care Technician (Wellington), University of Otago, New Zealand, about 2 hours ago
Assistant Animal Care Technician (Wellington)-2100819 BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH UNIT Are you seeking an entry-level role in an interesting environment where no two days are the same? A vacancy has arise...
Specialist Veterinary Anaesthesia (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 19 minutes ago
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University , the various disciplines collaborate intensi...
Veterinary Nurse Companion Animal Hospital, Massey University, New Zealand, about 16 hours ago
SVS - VTH Anaesthesia College of Sciences Palmerston North CS_SVSVTHA_601_05/21 Professional Grade 4 44588 - 65169 College of Sciences Term length: ongoing Hours of work: full-time We are currentl...
Assistant Director For Diversity, Equity, And Inclusion – Student Affairs, Pennsylvania State University, United States, 23 days ago
CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS: If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process . ...
Animal Technician 3, Washington State University, Worldwide, about 11 hours ago
Title: 525G-YN - Animal Technician 3 Business Title: Animal Technician 3 Location: Employee Type: Classified Job Family: Civil Service - OT Eligible Position Details: Summary of Duties: Provide ve...