The Animal & Land Management Resource Educator is primarily responsible for the assessment, development, evaluation and delivery of educational workshops, trainings, and technical assistance to producers in the area of best agricultural animal/land management. Animal management emphasizes the business, economic and practical aspects of animal production and care. Land management emphasizes the process of managing the use and development (in both urban and rural settings) of land resources; which may include organic agriculture, reforestation, and grazing. The Educator works as part of a team, collaborating with the Association, regional and statewide professional staff and volunteers in the areas of agriculture and animal sciences to meet the needs of the Oneida County agricultural community. The Educator will serve as a member of the Agriculture team to assist with the direction, management and coordination in the areas of agriculture programming and agriculture economic development.
- Master’s Degree in an Agriculture, Animal Science, Land Management or related field plus experience relevant to the role of the position.
- Subject expertise in one or more of the following: Soil Science, Community Gardens, Sustainable Farming practices.
- Ability to teach evidence-based agriculture education and curricula to participants and work with diverse audiences of all ages.
- Proficiency in the use of modern technology and software (video, audio, Microsoft office, social media, internet and database software, etc.).
- Ability to work independently and to effectively participate in professional team efforts.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and implement community engagement strategies.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement work responsibilities according to priorities developed with team members and immediate supervisor.
- Ability to meet frequent travel requirements associated with this position. A valid NYS driver’s license, reliable vehicle access, and a driving record acceptable for agency insurance coverage.
- Ability to meet acceptable background check standards.
- Ability to work flexible hours which will include evenings and/or weekends, and occasional overnight travel.
- Ability to frequently move/transport supplies and equipment, including climbing stairs and/or in outdoor/agricultural setting with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Familiarity with Cornell and other land-grant institutions and ability to utilize those resources within programming.
- Familiarity with Oneida County and ability to utilize resources within the community.
- Previous experience with educational assessment and strategic planning.
- Ability to develop effective outreach and promotion materials including flyers, brochures, and video.
Position Responsibilities & Essential Functions
Program Assessment - 15%
- Apply subject matter knowledge to identify program gaps, trends and emerging needs and make recommendations for programmatic offerings, enhancements or improvements.
- Develop methodology to assess the Agriculture program and ensure that program needs and strategic needs of the Association are being satisfied.
- Ensure program assessment is aligned with the statewide Plan of Work and the Association Plan of Work.
- Develop program needs assessment.
- Maintain direct linkage with Cornell University faculty and program units for program assessment guidance.
Program Development - 30%
- Apply subject matter knowledge to develop educational programming to meet identified needs and diverse interests of participants and volunteers within the county.
- Research, identify, and select appropriate educational and community resources and identify additional resources required for new programs and initiatives.
- Structure programs to meet the need of diverse program participants and meet changing local and/or regional issues.
- Ensure program development is aligned with the statewide Plan of Work and the Association Plan of Work.
- Make programmatic changes based on program evaluation outcomes to meet the need of diverse program participants.
- Maintain direct linkage with Cornell University faculty and other subject matter specialists for guidance in program development.
Program Delivery - 15%
- Deliver agriculture educational programs to enhance and increase awareness, viability and sustainability of local agriculture as well as create linkages between food consumers and agricultural producers.
- Foster acceptance of program, methods, and policies to address community and individual needs and consider diverse audiences.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in discipline; provide highly complex non-standard responses.
- Utilize a variety of educational methods which may include direct teaching, group experiences, media, newsletters, electronic technology, internet, and distance learning to promote and deliver program.
- Represent CCE before the public, community leaders, government officials, Cornell or other land grant universities in a professional manner as part of program delivery.
- Serve as subject matter expert to connect staff and clientele, including schools, agencies, producers, consumers, and other groups (as identified) with relevant agricultural resources to enhance and improve food systems.
- Maintain direct linkage with Cornell University faculty and program units for program delivery guidance.
- Ensure program delivery is aligned with the statewide Plan of Work and the Association Plan of Work.
Program Evaluation - 10%
- Develop program evaluation framework and tools based on subject matter knowledge to measure program impacts and gain input/insight for continuous improvement.
- Interact with program participants, the community, Cornell faculty, and staff to collect evaluation data for improving programs.
- Analyze and interpret collected evaluation data for reporting and program improvement purposes using standard, established policy, procedure and methods.
- Recommend program changes to strengthen and improve programs.
- Communicate evaluation results and findings to Supervisor and/or constituents as appropriate.
- Ensure program evaluation is aligned with the statewide Plan of Work and the Association Plan of Work.
Administrative Direction - 10%
- Plan the delivery of short and long-term education programs based on the Association Plan of Work.
- Plan the structure of delivering educational programs via various methods.
- Provide input to the planning of the program budget.
- Assist in developing and/or enhancing/ expanding relationships with appropriate agencies, organizations, industries and community leaders for the program.
- Plan effective external and internal program communication/marketing efforts for the program.
- Initiate and develop grant or other funding proposals in order to secure ongoing or new funding to support and enhance educational program offerings.
Administrative Management - 10%
- Identify activities and resources needed to carry out program priorities and goals in consultation and collaboration with Supervisor, Program Committee(s), community agencies, and/or other stakeholders.
- Monitor program to ensure compliance with policies and objectives of the Association, funding requirements, and adherence to Association Plan of Work.
- Assist in the procurement of grant funds for program development and expansion.
- Effectively manage and allocate financial resources to accomplish program objectives. Assist with identifying ways to reduce costs and maximize existing resources within the Association.
Administrative Coordination/Operation - 5%
- Collect evaluation data from program participants based on existing framework.
- Collect program needs assessment data based on existing framework.
- Submit program report to meet funding agency requirement.
- Assist in coordinating program implementation activities and planning efforts.
- Compile existing resources into educational program materials.
- Provide administrative support for program design and for the implementation of the assessment, development, delivery, and evaluation of established educational program goals.
- Complete required financial documentation to meet the grant or budget requirement.
- Implement established program schedule.
Professional Improvement - 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes and Association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension and perform other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety - Applied to all duties and functions
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, Association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applied to all duties and functions
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Oneida County policies, procedures and Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
** ATTACH ALL DOCUMENTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS **
To be considered for this position, you must:
(1) Complete *ALL* sections of the online application including your name, full contact information, experience and education. DO NOT JUST ATTACH DOCUMENTS!
(2) Attach a Resume (PDF or Microsoft Word format).
(3) Attach names and addresses of at least 3 Professional References (at least one who is a current or former supervisor or teacher) in PDF or Microsoft Word format.
READ THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW TO BE SURE YOU ARE UPLOADING DOCUMENTS AS REQUESTED.
External Applicants: (including current employees of other Cornell Cooperative Extension Associations) Please refer to the "Applying for a Job (External Candidate)" document for additional guidance here: http://cce.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/applying_external.pdf .
Internal Applicants: Current employees of Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Erie County are considered internal applicants. Please refer to the "Applying for a Job (Internal Candidate)" document for additional guidance here: http://spstaff2.cce.cornell.edu/human_resources/Documents/Staffing/Applying%20for%20a%20Job%20-%20Internal.pdf
This is a full time, exempt, benefits eligible position.
Excellent benefits, based on eligibility, including:
- Paid time off
- NYS Health Insurance Program (including Dental Insurance)
- NYS Retirement
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity
- Voluntary Flexible Spending Accounts
- Voluntary Group Universal Life Insurance
- Voluntary Personal Accidental Insurance
- Voluntary Legal Plan Insurance
- Voluntary Long Term Care Insurance
- Voluntary Auto and Homeowner’s Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Voluntary New York’s College Savings Program
No relocation or VISA Sponsorship available.
For additional questions please contact Lori North, Association Lead Human Resources Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Job Title:Association Resource Educator
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Lori North
Number of Openings:1
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are support of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Postdoctoral Associate/Research Laboratory Director, School of Integrative Plant Science – Section of Soil and Crop Sciences, United States, about 5 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -School of Integrative Plant Science – Section of Soil and Crop Sciences -POSTDOCASSOC [#13991, WDR-00019723] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Itha...
Assistant/Associate Professor Of Computational Biology, andComputing and Information Science, United States, about 5 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell University -Computational Biology -APCOMPBIO [#14054, WDR-00019928] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United...
Tenured Faculty Cornell Law School, Law School, United States, about 5 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Law School -TLAW [#14069] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14850, United States [map ] Subject Area: Law Appl Dea...
Faculty Positions Sc Johnson College Of Business And Cornell Tech (All Ranks), Johnson, United States, about 5 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Johnson -JOHNSONFAC [#14067, WDR-00019948] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853-6201, United States [map ] Subj...
Assistant Or Associate Professor And Director Of Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory Department Of Population Medicine And Diagnostic Sciences Animal Health Diagnostic Center College Of Veterinary Medici, CVM Department of Population Medicine & Diagnostic Sciences, United States, about 5 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -PMDS -MOLDIAG [#14049] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subject Area: Molecular Diagn...
Clarke Professorship & Directorship Cornell Law School, Law School, United States, about 5 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Law School -CLARKE [#14071] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14850, United States [map ] Subject Area: Law Appl D...