Current University of Arkansas System employees including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to view open positions.
All Job Postings will close at 12:01 a.m. CT on the specified Closing Date (if designated). To view the job posting closing date please return to the search for jobs page.
If you close the browser or exit your application prior to submitting, the application process will be saved as a draft. You will be able to access and complete the application through “My Draft Applications” located on your Candidate Home page.
Type of Position:
Other Health Care - Research Support
Day Shift (United States of America)
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) has a unique combination of education, research, and clinical programs that encourages and supports teamwork and diversity. We champion being a collaborative health care organization, focused on improving patient care and the lives of Arkansans.
The safety of our team members at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences is our top priority. For this reason, successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption on file with our Student & Employee Health Services dept. UAMS will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance.
UAMS offers amazing benefits and perks (available for benefits eligible positions only ):
- Health: Medical, Dental and Vision plans available for qualifying staff and family
- Holiday, Vacation and Sick Leave
- Education discount for staff and dependents (undergraduate only)
- Retirement: Up to 10% matched contribution from UAMS
- Basic Life Insurance up to $50,000
- Career Training and Educational Opportunities
- Merchant Discounts
- Concierge prescription delivery on the main campus when using UAMS pharmacy
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply link/button.
UAMS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is committed to excellence. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by telephone at (501) 686-6432 and let us know the nature of your request. We will only respond to messages left that involve a request for a reasonable accommodation in the application process. We will accommodate the needs of any qualified candidate who requests a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
At UAMS we value Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Visit our website to learn more: https://ddei.uams.edu/
For general application assistance or if you have questions about a job posting, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com .
RESH | Lab Animal Medicine Husbandry Staff
Summary of Job Duties:
Animal Care Technicians provide direct animal care, maintenance of animal caging equipment and research support to investigators on campus. ACTs will perform daily health checks and provide husbandry to a variety of animal species. The ACTs will perform facility-related tasks such as processing caging and equipment, operating and maintaining automated cage wash equipment and sterilizers, receive, transport and process animal feed and bedding, and perform a variety of animal procedures to support animal research.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (list primary functions of the position with the percent of time generally allocated to each; percent of time must equal 100%)
Animal Care Technician I (ACTI)-
(50%) Cage Changing:
• All resident animals are on a cage/pen or room changing cycle depending on the species. Rodents, our most popular species, must have their cage changed every 7-14 days depending on the caging system.
• Changes cages of the resident animals on an “as needed” basis. While all rooms are on a tentative schedule for change outs, frequently cages will be “spot” changed as needed.
• Follows the standard (or abbreviated) micro-isolator technique for changing cages. Every technician will be appropriately trained in cage changing techniques.
(10 %) Health Assessments:
• Receives training in identifying clinically ill animals.
• Responsible for daily health assessment done on every animal in assigned rooms to include: noting the animal’s feed and water intake, urine and fecal output, hair coat and grooming, patterns, mobility, alertness, general behavior and/or stereotypical behaviors, and research associated issues.___
(10 %) Room Sanitation:
• Responsible for scheduling/planning room, rack, and hood sanitizing cycles; documenting sanitation procedures and keeping them on appropriate timetables.
• Ensuring biosecurity measures by using appropriate containment procedures;
• Ensuring appropriate disinfectants are in date and used properly; and following room logs to make sure all daily and weekly SOPs are followed.
(20 %) Cage Wash/Support areas:
• Responsible for processing animal caging and equipment through cage wash.
• Initiates preparation tasks for upcoming change-out procedures including: caging preparation, bedding dispensing, cage set-ups, water bottle preparation, autoclaving caging, and personal protective equipment preparation, recycling and restocking.
• Responsible for maintaining automated cage wash equipment and sterilizers
• Receive, transport and process feed and bedding.
10 (%)Technical Assistance:
• Performs special requests for investigators and assist veterinary staff (assisting Technical Services personnel with blood collections, genotyping procedures, permanently identifying animals) as needed.
• Ensures that all cages are properly identified and in compliance with the associated federal and state regulations.
• The AHT must be knowledgeable of all aspects of any special projects that are done in the rea.
• Performs related DLAM and maintenance duties, assists with individual research labs and performs related technical and administrative support as needed.
• Engages in cross-training in some veterinary assistant procedures and will perform these procedures as needed or as directed by the veterinary staff.
• Other duties as assigned.
Animal Care Technician II (ACTII)- Performs all job responsibilities of an AHTI as well as:
• Completes more complex animal caretaking duties and specialized in the animal health and veterinary support of individual species.
• Provides research support and training activities as directed. Completes majority of activities independently at the direction of the facility manager.
Animal Care Technician III (ACTIII) The ACTIII will perform all job responsibilities of other ACTs including:
• Tasks that require additional training of animal care and facility knowledge including: hazard containment, immune compromised housing and advanced breeding techniques.
• Assists with day-to-day operations such as facility rounds, inventory, training/mentoring ACT I/II’s, managing clinical cases, assisting in technical services, and participates in development and updating animal care SOPs for all species.
• This position works independently under the direction of the facility manager or others as directed by the Director.
Customer Service: Interacts with and assists the public in a professional and friendly manner as needed. Demonstrates effective communication skills; communicates accurate and complete information; maintains strict confidentiality when necessary. Demonstrates positive working relationships with co-workers, management team, and ancillary departments; follows the Core Concepts of Patient and Family Centered Care and the Basic Code of Conduct Guidelines. Assist internal and external stakeholders as needed with exceptional customer service.
ACT I: HS diploma/GED and 1 year of experience in research environment, veterinary clinic or related field. ALAT certification within 2 years.
ACT II: HS diploma/GED and 3 years in animal research. ALAT certification currently and LAT certification required within 2 years.
ACT III: HS diploma/GED and 8 years in animal research or BS/CVT and 5 years of experience. LAT certification currently and LATG certification required within 2 years.
Required Documents to Apply:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Recruitment Contact Information:
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any recruiting related questions.
All application materials must be uploaded to the University of Arkansas System Career Site https://uasys.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/UASYS
Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
Substance Abuse Testing
This position is subject to pre-employment screening (criminal background, drug testing, and/or education verification). A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant except as provided by law. Any criminal history will be evaluated in relationship to job responsibilities and business necessity. The information obtained in these reports will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Constant Physical Activity:
Frequent Physical Activity:
Occasional Physical Activity:
Animal Technician I, Harvard University, United States, about 17 hours ago
24-Mar-2023 Faculty of Arts and Sciences 61964BR Job Summary Explore an Animal Care Career at Harvard University Cambridge where our animal care programs commitment to excellence in research is un...
Animal Acquisitions Assistant, University of Alberta, Canada, about 7 hours ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits . Location. North campu...
Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor* In Animal Environment And Health, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 16 hours ago
Department of Animal Environment and Health The Department of Animal Environment and Health has approximately 70 employees mainly in Skara, which is located in Sweden's most densely farmed area, a...
Kennel Assistant, Massey University, New Zealand, 4 days ago
SVS - VTH Vet Care Assistant and Kennel Hands College of Sciences Palmerston North CS_SVSVTHVCAKH_320_02/23 Professional Grade 1 43618 - 47137 College of Sciences Term length: ongoing Hours of wor...
Professor In Animal Welfare During Critical Life Events, Aarhus University, Denmark, about 16 hours ago
Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Aarhus University, invites highly qualified applicants for a position as professor in Animal welfare during critical life events from October 1, 2023,...
Animal Ecology Group (All Genders Welcome)Fb Institute Of Zoology And Anthropology, Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, about 6 hours ago
Animal Ecology Group (all genders welcome) Stellen-ID: 1478 Facility: FB Institute of Zoology and Anthropology Contact person: Prof. Dr. Stefan Scheu email@example.com +49 (0)551 3925445 Date of f...