This position will serve as the Agriculture Program Educator for Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Cortland County and will implement Dairy and Livestock educational programming for a menu of existing Agriculture programs in accordance with established program parameters. This position will teach the Agriculture programs in the area of Dairy and Livestock in group and/or individual settings, both on and off the farm, utilizing a variety of delivery methods. This position is also responsible for implementing educational programming in support of alternative animal agriculture, including sheep, goats, beef, bison, pork and poultry etc., including all aspects of production. The already-established Agriculture educational programs will be provided to program participants using a variety of delivery methods to include, but not limited to: workshops, seminars, demonstrations, interest groups, newsletters, farm visits, and mass and social media. This position will provide program direction, management and coordination for all program offerings and will report to the Executive Director per established protocol.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING
All applicants must apply online by close of day on March 13, 2023 to be considered for this position. All applicants must complete an application online, which includes: cover letter, resume and three (3) references.
All External Applicants (including applicants currently employed by Cornell Cooperative Extension in Associations other than the Association advertising this career opportunity) must submit his/her application materials via the "APPLY" button located within this job posting.
All Internal Applicants (current employees working for the Association advertising this career opportunity) must apply online via his/her Workday account, which may be accessed here: http://workday.cornell.edu/ .
Please contact Barb Henza, Association HR Representative at 607-391-2660 with questions.
This position is a full-time, non-exempt position, 40 hours per week. This position, based on eligibility, offers a comprehensive benefit package, to include: health and dental insurance and retirement.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education (Associate’s Degree and 2 years transferrable program/functional experience).
- Experience relevant to the role of the position.
- Valid New York State Driver’s License and the ability to meet the travel requirements associated with this position.
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Three (3+) years of relevant work experience in agriculture.
- Knowledge of subject matter appropriate to area of programming.
- Experience in dairy and/or livestock production, agriculture production, management and marketing.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, plan, organize, implement, teach and evaluate informal education programs through a variety of program delivery methods to reach individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a team member working with volunteers and staff.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new subject materials.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through oral, written, and visual means.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize computer technologies for educational and communication purposes.
Delivery - 70%
- Utilize established program resources and materials in program work.
- Provide direct teaching and instruction in Dairy and Livestock Management, including, but not limited to the following topics: nutrition, herd health, reproduction, production records, milking management, replacements, and housing, utilizing established program resources and materials, and utilizing a variety of proven educational methodologies in program work.
- Provide direct teaching and instruction in alternative animal agriculture, including, but not limited to the following topics: sheep, goats, beef, bison, pork and poultry etc., including production and marketing.
- Implement and facilitate Dairy and Livestock Management educational programming for a menu of existing Agriculture programs in accordance with established program parameters, including, but not limited to: Animal facilities, quality assurance, animal comfort and welfare, health and animal production best practices.
- Under the direction and oversight of the Executive Director, occasionally apply established subject matter knowledge to create lesson plans as identified.
- Work to foster acceptance of the Dairy & Livestock Program, methods and practices while addressing needs in the agriculture community and considering diverse audiences.
- Participate in the delivery of innovative, multi-disciplinary programs and pilot efforts as trends and priorities shift.
- Actively teach and participate in state-wide programs, such as, PRO-DAIRY.
- Provide Agriculture educational programs via mass media.
- Serve as subject matter resource in the area of Dairy and Livestock Management.
- Directly teach and participate in non-agriculture, cross-programming efforts as appropriate.
- Represent Cornell Cooperative Extension of Cortland County in a professional manner and communicate and cooperate with the public, agribusinesses, veterinarians, DHI Associations, Quality Management Production Service, feed dealers, agricultural Coordinator, government officials, community leaders, Cornell and/or other land grant universities as a part of program delivery.
- Serve as a team member and cooperate with the entire Association and the Agriculture & Natural Resources Program staff to achieve Association program delivery goals.
Evaluation - 10%
- Implement program evaluation as designed.
- Interact with program participants to obtain evaluation data, and assist in evaluating effectiveness of classes within program areas for all Agriculture programs.
- Assist Supervisor in the process of analyzing program data, and based on that analysis, assist in making recommendations for improvements in program offerings.
- Communicate evaluation findings to constituents as appropriate.
Direction - 5%
- Assist in the planning of educational programs to include, but not limited to planning the delivery of established educational program goals as well as the structure of delivering educational programs via various methods.
- Assist the Executive Director to anticipate and project program expenses.
- Assist the Executive Director by providing program related information to the budget development process and allocate budget amounts, reporting out to the Executive Director per established protocol.
- Provide low complexity administrative assistance to include, but not limited to, planning for mass media efforts related to the Agriculture Program; work together with Agriculture team to plan effective strategic marketing efforts; and major public affairs events and functions.
- Provide Agriculture Program related information to the staffing plan development process.
- Assist the Executive Director and grant writing team in the writing and development of grant applications to secure funding for ongoing/expanded programming efforts.
Management - 5%
- Solve problems and resolve conflicts that arise in the Agriculture program utilizing appropriate policies and procedures, as needed.
- Assist the Executive Director to ensure program activities, workshops and events conform to the Association’s Plan of Work.
- Support the allocation of program resources to accomplish Association program objectives within the Agriculture Program.
- Provide support to the Advisory Committee consisting of, educators, community members and other stakeholders to facilitate overall program management/coordination/implementation.
- Assist Executive Director in identifying and recommending program needs (i.e. program supplies and materials).
Coordination/Operation - 5%
- Organize and coordinate program activities relating to the Agriculture Program (i.e. special meeting, events and projects).
- Coordinate, compile and organize existing program resources and program materials.
- Coordinate the Advisory Committee meetings per established procedures.
- Obtain evaluation data and program needs assessments from program participants based on existing evaluation framework and guidelines.
- Provide low complexity administrative support to prepare materials for report submission to meet funding and Association requirements.
- Provide low complexity administrative support to accomplish financial goals within assigned program to include, but not limited to: preparing materials for grant/contact proposal submission and providing required information needed in the financial documentation to meet grant or budget requirements.
- Coordinate and assist with projects and outreach efforts as needed.
- Coordinate with the Regional Ag Team, Agronomy, and Farm Business Management Teams when appropriate to meet the needs of participants.
- Assist in utilizing effective marketing strategies in the promotion of programming efforts to include, but not limited to: print media, news media, social media, and multi-media efforts.
- Effectively maintain existing professional relationships with other agencies, organizations and businesses that promote effective communication and facilitate continued programming efforts.
- This position may require the transport of program participants and/or program materials and resources in performing position responsibilities.
Professional Improvement and Other Duties as Assigned - 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes and Association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension and perform other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, Association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Cortland County policies, procedures and Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Job Title:Association Tmp Program
Level:No Grade - Hourly
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Jerilynn Cross
Number of Openings:1
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement . This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell Cooperative Extension as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Dairy Management Specialist (Cornell Cooperative Extension); Central New York, Cornell Cooperative Extension, United States, 11 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -Cornell Cooperative Extension -DAIRYMANAGEMENT [#24520, WDR-00036004] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Herkimer, New York 13350, United States [map ] Sub...
Irrigated Grass Systems Advisor (Applied Research And Extension) Ap 22 27, University of California, United States, about 22 hours ago
County Locations : Lassen County, Modoc County, Shasta County Date Posted: March 20, 2023 Closing Date: May 11, 2023 Job Description: Download Position Overview The University of California, Agric...
Research Associate Cornell Tree Ring Laboratory, Department of Classics, United States, 11 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -Classics -RA [#24523, WDR-00036060] Position Title: Position Type:Non tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subject Area: Dendro...
Research Associate, School of Integrative Plant Science – Section of Plant Breeding and Genetics, United States, 11 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -School of Integrative Plant Science – Section of Plant Breeding and Genetics -RESASSOC [#24531, WDR-00036031] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Ithaca, Ne...
Area Water Quality, Quantity And Climate Change Advisor (Applied Research And Extension) 22 44, University of California, United States, about 22 hours ago
County Locations : Lake County, Mendocino County Date Posted: March 21, 2023 Closing Date: May 14, 2023 Job Description: Download Position Overview The University of California, Agriculture and Na...
Govt Visiting Assistant Professor, Government Department, United States, 11 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -Government Department -VAP1 [#24537, WDR-00036062] Position Title: Position Type:Non tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subje...