This position will serve as the Agriculture Educator for Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Chemung County and will implement agriculture programming for existing agriculture education programs and activities. This position will be responsible for the delivery of established agriculture programming and activities, both on-site and off-site in accordance with the Agriculture Program Plan of Work. This position will serve as the local connection for Regional Ag Specialists, enhancing the Association’s communication with the agriculture community as well as the general public in Chemung County. This position will perform on-site farm visits with individuals involved with all aspects of agriculture; refer questions to appropriate specialists within Cornell Cooperative Extension, regional specialists, the state-wide Extension System, or to other agencies as appropriate. This position will work with, and coordinate assigned administrative aspects of the agricultural program including support for Chemung County Ag and Farmland Protection Board. Under the direction of the Association Executive Director, this position will work with community agricultural producers, related service providers, non-profit entities, and municipalities to support agricultural production, management, marketing, business development, tourism, and public relations.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING
All applicants must apply online by close of day on January 19, 2023 to be considered for this position. All applicants must submit a complete application online, which includes: cover letter, resume and three (3) references.
All External Applicants (including applicants currently employed by Cornell Cooperative Extension in Associations other than the Association advertising this career opportunity) must submit his/her application materials via the "APPLY" button located within this job posting.
All Internal Applicants (current employees working for the Association advertising this career opportunity) must apply online via his/her Workday account, which may be accessed here: http://workday.cornell.edu/ .
Please contact Katie Curren, Association Operations Coordinator at 607-734-4453 with questions.
This position is a full-time non-exempt position, 100% FTE. This position, based on eligibility, offers a comprehensive benefit package, to include: health and dental insurance, NYS retirement, vacation, sick and personal leave.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education (Associate’s Degree and two (2) years transferrable program/functional experience.)
- Experience relevant to the role of the position.
- Valid NYS Driver License and the ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position.
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Ability to meet physical demands of the position to include performing farms visits on-site at area farms.
- Demonstrated understanding and familiarity with animal science, field crops, farm business management and/or other facets of agriculture production.
- Demonstrated understanding and familiarity with the agriculture community in the region.
- Demonstrated on-farm experience, especially working with livestock, especially small ruminants.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, teach and evaluate informal educational programs through a variety of delivery methods to reach a diverse audience of individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a team member working with volunteers and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to identify appropriate and organize reference materials for programming purposes.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through oral, written and visual means.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize computer technologies for educational and communication purposes.
Delivery - 70%
- Utilize established program resources and materials in program work.
- Teach, existing agriculture programming, to include, but not limited to: small business planning, livestock (dairy, ruminants, rabbits, poultry), agriculture awareness, agriculture marketing and tourism, and general agriculture.
- Teach already-established agriculture educational programing and activities in support of other agriculture programming efforts as identified/needed to support the established Plan of Work.
- Teach already-established agriculture education programming and activities in a variety of delivery methods to include, but not limited to: farm visits, one-on-one sessions, group classes and workshops, social media, written communications, etc.
- Provide already-established information to local farmers and producers to include, but not limited to: farm tours, on-farm demonstrations, meetings, events, discussion groups, livestock producers, etc.
- Occasionally apply established subject matter knowledge to create lesson plans as identified.
- Provide agriculture educational programs via mass media.
- Work to foster acceptance of the agriculture program, methods and policies while addressing community and individual needs and considering diverse audiences.
- Serve as a team member and cooperate with the entire Association and Agriculture Program staff to achieve Association program delivery goals.
- Serve as agriculture educator as needed at county fair or general 4-H programs.
Evaluation - 10%
- Implement program evaluation as designed.
- Interact with program participants to obtain evaluation data, to include: evaluating effectiveness of classes within program areas for all agriculture programs.
- Assist Association Executive Director in analyzing program data, and based on that analysis, assist in making recommendations for improvements in program offerings.
- Communicate evaluation findings to constituents as appropriate.
Direction - 5%
- Assist in the planning of major public events and programs (i.e. livestock discussion groups, farm tours, on-farm demonstrations), including, but not limited to: assisting with mass media efforts related to upcoming events and programs.
Assist in identifying opportunities for agriculture fund development activities.
Management - 5%
- Provide existing guidance to program volunteers in accordance with established practices and procedures.
- Assist Association Executive Director in identifying and recommending program needs (i.e. program supplies and materials).
Coordination/Operation - 5%
- Organize and coordinate activities related to Agriculture Programming (i.e. livestock discussion groups, farm tours, on-farm demonstrations, special meetings events and projects, research projects).
- Provide administrative support for fund development activities as identified.
- Coordinate, compile and organize existing program resources and program materials.
- Assist in coordinating and utilizing effective marketing strategies in the promotion of programming efforts to include, but not limited to: print media, news media, social media, and multi-media efforts in support of public events and programming (i.e. discussion groups, farm tours, on-farm demonstrations).
- Manager farmer list serve for mass emails.
- Update website of upcoming events and/or resources loaded onto website.
- Maintain files so that information is accessible, and all information and references are up to date.
- Effectively maintain existing professional relationships with other agencies, organizations and businesses that promote effective communication and facilitate continued programming efforts.
- This position may require the transport of program participants and/or program materials and resources in performing position responsibilities.
Professional Improvement and Other Duties as Assigned - 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes in programming and association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension including but not limited to attendance at staff meetings, timely reporting of expenses, working with other staff, general marketing of Extension programs and other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Support the association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Be aware of, and adhere to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Chemung County policies and procedures.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely, and accurate manner.
- Conduct all programming and activities in accordance with the Civil Rights Act, Title IX Rehabilitation, Americans with Disabilities Act, and local, state, and regional affirmative action plans.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Job Title:Association Subject Educator I
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Jerilynn Cross
Number of Openings:1
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement . This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell Cooperative Extension as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Research Associate, CALS Geneva AgriTech Administration, United States, about 21 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell University -CALS Geneva AgriTech Administration -RA [#24205, WDR-00035216] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Highland, New York 12528, United States [map ]...
Senior Research Associate, CALS Geneva AgriTech Administration, United States, about 21 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell University -CALS Geneva AgriTech Administration -SRA [#24206, WDR-00035217] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Highland, New York 12528, United States [map ...
Pesticide Safety Education Specialist (Cornell Cooperative Extension); Ithaca, New York, Cornell Cooperative Extension, United States, 13 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -Cornell Cooperative Extension -PESTICIDESAFETYEDUCATIONSPECIALIST [#24158, WDR-00035022] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United ...
Associate/Full Professor Tenure Track Position, Entomology/CALS, United States, about 21 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Entomology/CALS -SARKARIAPROF [#24118, wdr-00034941] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ]...
Dairy Fellows Alumni Senior Lecturer In Dairy Herd Management, Animal Science, United States, about 21 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Animal Science -SL1 [#24221, WDR-00035346] Position Title: Position Type:Non tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subject Areas...
4 H Animal Science Youth Advisor Applied Research And Extension (22 47), University of California, United States, 1 day ago
County Locations : Monterey County, San Benito County, Santa Cruz County Location : UC ANR - Davis Date Posted: January 30, 2023 Closing Date: March 17, 2023 Job Description: Download Position Ove...