This position will serve as the Agriculture Economic Development Specialist for Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Oswego County and will implement Agriculture educational programming for a menu of existing Agriculture programs that will enhance the economic viability and sustainability of agriculture and agricultural-related businesses in Oswego County in accordance with established program parameters. Program topics will include, but not be limited to: agricultural marketing, business development, agri-tourism, public relations, product diversification, direct marketing strategies, promotion of local product labels, involvement with value-added opportunities, and other agriculture programs as identified. This position will utilize existing program resources and materials in program work, and will utilize a wide variety of delivery methods, including, but not limited to: one-on-one sessions, farm visits, and group workshops and presentations. This position works independently under the general supervision of the Association Executive Director.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING
All applicants must apply online by close of day on April 10, 2023 to be considered for this position. All applicants must complete an application online, which includes: cover letter, resume and three (3) references.
All External Applicants (including applicants currently employed by Cornell Cooperative Extension in Associations other than the Association advertising this career opportunity) must submit his/her application materials via the "APPLY" button located within this job posting.
All Internal Applicants (current employees working for the Association advertising this career opportunity) must apply online via his/her Workday account, which may be accessed here: http://workday.cornell.edu/ .
Please contact the Oswego County CCE Office at 315-963-7286 with questions.
This position is a full-time exempt position - 100% FTE. This position, based on eligibility, offers a comprehensive benefit package, to include: health and dental insurance, retirement, vacation, sick and personal leave.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- One (1) year volunteer or related work experience.
- Valid New York State Driver’s License and the ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Knowledge of local, county, and regional needs and the services provided by other federal, state, regional and county agencies that relate to agriculture, agribusiness and economic development.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize program resources within the community.
- Demonstrated initiative, reliability and dependability.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through oral, written and visual means.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize computer technologies for educational and communication purposes.
Delivery - 90%
- Implement and facilitate Agriculture educational programming for a menu of existing Agriculture programs in accordance with established program parameters.
- Implement educational programs through workshops, seminars, demonstrations, interest groups, newsletters, farm visits, mass media and agri-business contacts utilizing established resources and per established program parameters, and apply agriculture subject matter knowledge to create lesson plans to deliver these educational programs as appropriate.
- Provide direct teaching and instruction in Agriculture, including, but not limited to the following topics: agricultural marketing, business development, agri-tourism, public relations, product diversification, direct marketing strategies, promotion of local product labels, involvement with value-added opportunities, and other agriculture programs as identified, utilizing established program resources and materials.
- Assist in teaching innovative educational programs in Agriculture as defined, to include, but not limited to: agricultural marketing, business development, agri-tourism, public relations, product diversification, direct marketing strategies, promotion of local product labels, involvement with value-added opportunities, and other agriculture programs as identified
- Assist in delivering educational programs as a part of multi-association and/or regional efforts when identified/appropriate.
- Utilize a wide variety of delivery methods and educational technologies and strategies in program implementation, teaching and outreach efforts to include: in-person calls, one-on-one sessions, farm visits, and group workshops and presentations to support and serve agriculture producers in Oswego County and effectively reach target audiences.
- Work to foster acceptance of the Agriculture Program, methods and practices while addressing needs in the agriculture community and considering diverse audiences.
- Serve as subject matter resource in the area of Agriculture and provide standard responses to questions and inquiries and refer to other Agriculture Educators and agencies/organizations when needed/appropriate.
- Based on established program framework, refer questions to appropriate Cornell Cooperative Extension Educators, Regional and Cornell Cooperative Extension Specialists, and to other agencies as appropriate.
- Utilizing existing program materials, familiarize agricultural producers and other customers with educational programs and services of Cornell Cooperative Extension of Oswego County and other area agencies.
- Serve as a team member and cooperate with the entire Association and the Agriculture Program staff to achieve Association program delivery goals.
- In compliance with established policies and procedures, work with volunteers as needed to enhance and expand program offerings.
Evaluation - 5%
- Implement program evaluation as designed.
- Interact with program participants to obtain program evaluation information.
- Assist in the process of analyzing evaluation data, and based on that analysis, make recommendations for program offerings.
- Communicate evaluation data and evaluation results and findings to constituents as appropriate.
- Assist the Regional Agriculture Team and/or Association Executive Director in evaluating and analyzing industry education needs.
Professional Improvement and Other Duties as Assigned - 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes and Association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension including but not limited to attendance at staff meetings, timely reporting of expenses, working with other staff, general marketing of Extension programs and other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, Association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Be aware of, and adhere to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Oswego County policies, procedures and Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Job Title:Association Community Educator
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Jerilynn Cross
Number of Openings:1
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement . This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell Cooperative Extension as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Great Lakes Tourism Development Specialist (New York Sea Grant); Oswego Or Newark, New York, New York Sea Grant, United States, about 15 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -NYSSeaGrant -GREATLAKESTOURISMSPECIALIST1 [#24857, WDR-00037182] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Oswego, New York 13126, United States [map ] Subject Ar...
International Education And Language Center Program Manager, SUNY Oswego, United States, 24 days ago
Details Posted: 15-May-23 Location: Oswego, New York Type: Full-time Categories: Education/Training Multicultural Affairs Staff/Administrative Employment Type: Full-time Organization Type: Higher ...
Science Based Solutions To Grand Challenges In Equity & Inclusion, Department of Communication, United States, about 15 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Department of Communication -JEDIASSTPROF [#24902, WDR-00037359] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United S...
Sl Dairy Herd Management, Animal Science, United States, 4 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -Animal Science -SL [#24882, WDR-00037279] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subject Areas: Dairy Management ...
Extension Associate In Dairy Foods, Department of Food Science, United States, about 15 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Food -EXTDF [#24864, WDR-00037189] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subject Area: Food Science / Educationa...
Area Water And Soil Resources Advisor (Ap 22 42), University of California, United States, 3 days ago
County Locations : Marin County, Mendocino County, Napa County, Sonoma County Location : UC ANR - Davis Date Posted: May 30, 2023 Closing Date: July 25, 2023 Job Description: Download Position Ove...