The CBBG (Center for Bio-inspired and Bio-Mediated Geotechnics), a National Science Foundation (NSF) funded Engineering Research Center (ERC) at Arizona State University (ASU), invites applications for an Administrative Director. Under little supervision, the Administrative Director (AD) reports to the Center Director to manage the day-to-day operation of the Center, manage Center personnel, and regularly represent the Director to various constituencies and stakeholders. The AD will be a strong, energetic leader who is able to effectively multi-task, quickly navigate multiple streams of information/policies/procedures, and oversee financial management, information systems, and operations within ASU and between partner institutions. The AD will provide substantial support for all Center site visits, annual meetings, and reporting.
Grant Funded Position
This is a grant funded position. Continuation is contingent on future grant funding.
$64,900 - $100,000 per year; DOE
- Leadership: The AD will be the initial and potentially, the primary point of contact for many NSF and university requests. The AD will be responsible for timely, professional responses to requests, oversight and updating of content across multiple platforms (print and internet), dissemination of program updates and changes, and coordination of information across the Center personnel.
- Personnel management: The AD will be responsible for hiring, supervision, and development of Center administrative personnel and compliance with sponsor and ASU regulations for personnel management.
- Financial management: The AD will be responsible for Center budgeting, expenditure projection, accounting, and reporting to maximize use of funding, while ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local rules and regulations.
- Information systems management: The AD will be responsible for access and analysis of data relevant to the Center’s activities, including the creation of these data storage platforms. This will include working within the sponsor’s and ASU’s systems.
- Event management: The AD will be responsible for high level, exceptionally well-designed and run public and private events on and off ASU’s campus. This includes coordinating printing, travel, accommodations, catering, and audio/visual requirements to ensure meeting success.
- Leveraging the extensive past success of the ERC program, the AD will understand, demonstrate, and contribute to best practices derived from http://erc-assoc.org/content/chapter-6-administrative-management .
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND eight (8) years of related administrative experience, which includes five (5) years of supervisory experience; OR, Twelve (12) years of related administrative experience, which includes five (5) years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in producing financial reports and budget development.
- Experience in problem solving, critical thinking, and time management skills.
- Experience in multitasking while producing accurate output.
- Experience in meeting deadlines for multiple projects.
- Experience working independently as well as a member of a team.
- Experience supporting high profile research projects and faculty.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting documents; post award administrative and financial experience including: expenditure review and approval, account reconciliation, financial reporting, and projections; multitasking while producing accurate output; accounting principles and practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of: higher education, Board of Regents practices, Research and Sponsored Project (RSP) policies and procedures, and Sponsored Research.
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills and a high level of customer service.
- Demonstrated knowledge of event management.
- Technology skills including Microsoft Office Suite; Adobe Pro Acrobat experience.
- Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate-controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting.
- Use visual acuity and manual dexterity associated with daily use of desktop computer.
- Lift up to 20 pounds.
- Use ability to clearly communicate to perform essential duties.
- Work both independently or within a complex structured team.
- Normally receives no instructions on routine work and general instructions on new assignments with review of completed tasks.
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
How does nature do it?
Nature has developed elegant, efficient and sustainable biologically-based solutions to many challenges that vex geotechnical infrastructure systems. Examples include ant excavation processes that are 1000 times more energy efficient than man-made tunneling machines, carbonate cemented sand that is exceptionally resistant to erosion and earthquakes, and self-sensing and self-healing tree root structures that are 10 times more efficient than any mechanical soil reinforcing/foundation system yet devised.
The NSF funded Engineering Center for Bio-mediated and Bio-inspired Geotechnics (CBBG) focuses on ecologically friendly, cost-effective solutions, inspired by nature, for development and rehabilitation of resilient and sustainable civil infrastructure systems. It serves as a nexus for two transformative trends in engineering: biologically-based design and sustainability.
The center propels the US into a leadership role in biogeotechnical engineering, enhancing national security by providing green and sustainable solutions to important infrastructure and resource development-related challenges. It also enhances national competitiveness through export of these technologies in response to the worldwide demand for more sustainable practices.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Executive/Senior Executive Alice Lee Centre For Nursing Studies, National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 17 hours ago
Executive/Senior Executive - Alice Lee Centre for Nursing Studies - 00D8Z Description To support clinical placements for Undergraduate nursing students at Aice Lee Centre for Nursing Studies (ALCN...
Wbc Program Support Specialist, George Mason University, United States, about 14 hours ago
Position Information Department Mason Enterprise Center Alternate Department Description Community Business Partnership Criminal Background Check Standard Background Check Motor Vehicle Background...
Foundation Year 1 Trust Doctor In General Surgery, King's College Hospital, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is one of the UK’s largest and busiest teaching hospitals with over 1.5 million patient contacts a year and more than 13,000 staff based across five ma...
Assistant Director, Veterans Business Outreach Center (Vboc), George Mason University, United States, about 14 hours ago
Position Information Department Mason Enterprise Center Alternate Department Description Community Business Partnership (CBP) Criminal Background Check Standard Background Check Motor Vehicle Back...
Pharmacy Technician, National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 17 hours ago
Pharmacy Technician - 00DAR Description University Health Centre (UHC) set up under NUS, is a holistic healthcare provider for the entire NUS community. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary t...
Self Help Sales Manager, East Carolina University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Position Details Advertising Department STUDENT MEDIA Academic Term/Year Summer - 2020 Position Title Self-Help - Sales Manager Posting Number 02711 Position Number 02711 Student Job Category Stud...