The KU Edwards Campus, located in Overland Park, Kansas, is proud to bring high-quality academic programs, resources, research and public service of the University of Kansas to Greater Kansas City. KU Professional & Continuing Education, a key asset of the KU Edwards Campus, provides professional and lifelong learning opportunities through effective, sustainable programs. The programs address educational, professional, and economic development goals of individuals and organizations in Kansas City as well as communities throughout the state of Kansas, and beyond. Courses are designed by KU faculty and industry experts to advance personal and professional goals.
KU Professional & Continuing Education operates in a self-supporting, entrepreneurial environment while aligning with the university’s strategic plan and its academic, research and public service missions. The Professional Programs unit supports that mission by developing and delivering high-quality professional education programs in broad topic areas including: leadership and management, civil engineering, aerospace engineering, social and behavioral sciences, and information technology. The Professional Programs team delivers education through face-to-face short courses, online certificate programs, boot camps and custom in-house trainings. In addition, the unit is responsible for management activities for numerous academic conferences, held in local, regional and national locations, to worldwide audiences.
The Administrative Assistant (AA) is responsible for assisting the Professional Programs team in preparation and successful implementation of professional education activities and academic conferences. Additionally, the AA supports the overall program administration by maintaining databases, keeping records, maintaining inventories and generating appropriate correspondences for travel and general office administration. The ideal candidate for this position is someone who has strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail and is highly deadline driven.
50% Support in Program Planning of Conferences and Short Courses
- Executes the programming unit's business strategy by assisting Program Managers in the planning and implementation of professional education delivery.
- Assists in determining audio-visual equipment needs, instructional supplies, attendee supplies and various staff/presentation travel needs for educational events.
- Establishes/maintains contact with various agencies, instructors, participants, etc.
- Prepares participant rosters, tent cards, and nametags from database files.
- Generates status reports critical to identifying accurate enrollment figures for determining final class arrangements and future program schedules.
- Occasionally assists onsite with program delivery activities, working outside normal business hours.
- Serves as contact with participants in answering logistical questions.
- Responsible for the production, assembly and packaging of program supplies and packets for event participants.
- Generates, distributes, and tracks State of Kansas travel expense forms, including Out-of-State Travel Requests, Order Request Forms, and Travel Reimbursement Forms for Professional Programs staff and PCE Administration.
- Prepares paperwork related to instructional fees, staff and instructor travel and expenses related to shipment of course materials.
- Processes payment requests and follows through with SSC to ensure timely and accurate processing.
- Works with the Program Manager to track income and expense activity for program deliveries.
- Assists program manager in recordkeeping and preparation of financial reports.
- Staff the reception area of program suite during regular office hours.
- Receive phone calls and visitors, and respond or forward to the appropriate staff member.
- Manage departmental email account ensuring appropriate and timely response.
- Scan documents and file paperwork as appropriate.
- Send, receive and sort daily mail and deliveries.
- Ensure general office supplies are maintained and refresh as needed.
- Maintains daily printed conference room schedules.
- Assist with scheduling meetings for Professional Programs and PCE leadership.
- Manage routing process for contracts, payment requests and other documents requiring internal and external signature.
- Initiate processing of travel requests and associated reimbursements.
- Assembles materials and agendas for meetings and presentations.
- Other activities/duties involve serving on various committees and working in individual and team settings to accomplish overall Professional & Continuing Education program goals.
- Adhere to University of Kansas, KU Professional & Continuing Education and State of Kansas policies and procedures.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, and with deadlines and multiple, rapidly evolving priorities
- Ability to lift 35 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation
Contact Information to Applicants
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application consists of:
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application review will begin Monday, September 30th, 2019 and will remain open until a qualified pool of candidates is identified.
Advertised Salary Range
$31,000- $35,000, Commensurate with experience
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
Univ of Kansas Edwards Campus
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Conditions of Employment
Contingent on Funding
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, Room 1082, Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9 for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Associate Director For Research, American Geophysical Union, United States, about 9 hours ago
Associate Director for Research Kansas Geological Survey The Kansas Geological Survey at the University of Kansas is seeking an Associate Director for Research The Kansas Geological Survey (KGS) s...
Applied Geophysicist Assistant Professor, American Geophysical Union, United States, 2 days ago
The Department of Geology at the University of Kansas seeks applications for a 9-month, tenure-track, faculty position in the broad field of Applied Geophysics. We seek an outstanding colleague wh...