Watkins Health Services
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
The incumbent performs functions in the Watkins Health Services (WHS) Business Office, utilizing a computer to make inquiries and data entries. All WHS accounts are computerized in the electronic practice management system.
The incumbent in this position will see, hear and possibly have access to confidential information that must be handled in accordance with all relevant state and federal laws and University policies and procedures regarding its use and disclosure. This position is also authorized to review, create and process patient information and/or data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
WHS utilizes computer technology in all aspects of its operations, including an electronic health record system. The incumbent must become familiar with and be able to use the appropriate computer hardware and software programs associated with this position.
The incumbent must become familiar with and adhere to the Watkins Health Services Customer Service Plan to ensure appropriate interaction and positive outcomes with both internal and external customers.
Watkins Health Services is a unit in Student Affairs.
Work involves general administrative support work with average difficulty and complexity in diverse office situations. Work may also involve the responsibility for providing assistance to a supervisor or manager involving organizing and implementing specific tasks. May provide administrative support to a manager or director. Duties may include bookkeeping, providing assistance with general office operations and assisting in unit programs. Positions at this level will follow already-established regulations, policies and procedures. Positions will utilize standard office tools and technology. May supervise or provide leadership to student employees. High School diploma or GED equivalency and one year of office experience or one year of post-secondary education.
- Accurately collects and records payments by serving as the primary cashier. This involves web payments, payments made by mail and payments made in person. Assists with balancing the day’s business and creating the daily deposit.
- Processes insurance payments and Explanation of Benefits from insurance carriers.
- Responds to inquiries, both in person and when answering the phone, according to departmental policies. Provides information regarding charges sent to People Soft for collection, billing, etc. Refers inquiries, when necessary, to other departments, supplying name, ID, and other pertinent information with referral. Composes and enters internal notes vital to efficient departmental processing of charges, billing, etc. on patient account pertaining to inquiry.
- Processes returned mail, outgoing mail and distributes mail for facility, as assigned.
- Cross-trained to perform duties of other personnel in Business Office as needed. Assists with other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Contact Information to Applicants
Brenda Bertsch, firstname.lastname@example.org , 785-864-9525
Additional Candidate Instruction
Please attach resume, cover letter and references to this on-line application.
Application review begins September 10,2019. To ensure consideration, apply no later than September 9, 2019.
Advertised Salary Range
$14.423077 per hour
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
University of Kansas - Lawrence
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Conditions of Employment
Contingent on Funding
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, Room 1082, Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9 for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).