ASU School of Music, Dance and Theatre is seeking applications for a 50 percent staff position focused on dance class accompaniment and willing to facilitate Sound and Media technology. The position will work with Production Management, and the Instructional Specialist Sr to coordinate and ensure the readiness of sound and media elements for productions within the Dance Program's performance and rehearsal venues, as well as additional outdoor performance spaces. The Accompanist Sound and Media Sr will manage inventories, maintain Dance facilities equipment, and assist with specific materials and procedures needed for productions.
Theatrical & Public Events
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$20.20 - $22.00 per hour; DOE
- Provides percussion as well as other musical accompaniment for majors and/or non-majors dance classes.
- Assists in oversight and maintenance of all sound and media production-related equipment.
- Willing to manage sound and media equipment inventories and organization
- Proactively addresses maintenance of sound system and musician areas in dance studios to remove clutter and facilitate access and use.
- Attends production and departmental meetings when needed.
- Assists the Instructional Specialist Sr to coordinate and ensure the readiness of sound and media elements for productions and classes.
Three years experience in the selection and arrangement of musical compositions; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of musical repertoire.
- Demonstrated knowledge of musical arrangement and composition.
- Experience in playing appropriate instruments.
- Ability to improvise music instantly (composing while performing) following dictated parameters given by class instructor in the moment.
- Ability to vary approaches resulting in a variety of music styles and genres.
- Experience in following musical directions.
- Willingness to adjust hours schedule on occasion to accommodate periodic guest instruction, when possible, and for differences in semester class schedules.
- Basic knowledge of digital mixers, analog and digital consoles, and recording equipment.
- Basic knowledge of microphones and communication systems.
- Demonstrated understanding of computer networking in theatrical settings.
- Demonstrated understanding of digital video systems for live events.
- Knowledge of sound and media computer programs including but not limited to Dante, Qlab, DAW Softwares, Isadora, Resolume, and/ or Touch Designer.
- An interest in innovative practices which broaden current notions of production for dance, and other live performance.
- Experience in piano and percussion performance.
- Knowledge of musical repertoire.
- Knowledge of musical arrangement and composition.
- Skill in playing appropriate instrument.
- Skill in following musical direction.
- Activities are performed in multiple studio and theater spaces subject to extended periods of sitting.
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Infrequent moving of tables, chairs, equipment.
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 30 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
The Herberger Institute comprises the School of Art; School of Arts, Media and Engineering; The Sidney Poitier New American Film School; School of Music, Dance and Theatre; The Design School; and the ASU Art Museum. With 130 degree and certificate options, and programs ranked top 20 in art, design, music, theatre, digital culture, film, dance and more, plus a top university art museum, a leading immersive media facility, and national and international partnerships, the Herberger Institute is a powerhouse of art, culture and design.
Our mission is to position designers, artists, scholars and educators at the center of public life and prepare them to use their creative capacities to advance culture, build community and imaginatively address today’s most pressing challenges.
The vision of the Herberger Institute is to advance the New American University by embedding designers, artists and arts-based inquiry at its core and throughout the communities it serves locally, nationally and internationally. With almost 8,000 students, more than 700 faculty members, and 130 program options, the Herberger Institute is committed to redefining the 21st-century design and arts school.
As part of Arizona State University, the most innovative university in the nation, the Herberger Institute seeks to drive and scale new ways for arts and design to have impact in our world. We invite you to join our work.
• Creativity as a core 21st-century competency
• Design and the arts as critical resources for transforming our society
• Innovation, enterprise and entrepreneurship
• Interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary collaboration and research
• Social embeddedness
• Projecting all voices
Why work @ASU - https://cfo.asu.edu/why-work-asu
Total compensation at ASU is defined as more than the salary paid for the valuable work performed to support the success of our ASU students. It includes:
• Salary and wages paid
• Comprehensive package of affordable benefit plans and programs
• Access to world-class educational opportunities at deeply discounted rates
• ASU's total compensation estimator shows the approximate value of your overall compensation
ASU is a diverse enterprise with a wide variety of work and learning modes, locations and a commitment to sustainability, innovation and employee work-life balance. We are determined to maintain our position as an employer of choice in a competitive labor market.
Flexible work options
- Alternative work schedules can include four, 10-hour workdays in a workweek; a nine-day, 80-hour schedule over two workweeks for exempt employees only; and staggered start and stop times.
- Hybrid work is an arrangement where employees spend a minimum of 60% of their regular workweek at their primary ASU work location. Dean or vice president-level approval is required.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
Assistant Professor Performance And Technology, Utrecht University, Netherlands, 9 days ago
23 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Utrecht University Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Appli...
Document Based Adjunct Professor Dance Teaching Methodologies, Subject Area Of Contemporary Dance Methodologies, Instituto Politécnico de Lisboa, Portugal, 18 days ago
14 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Instituto Politécnico de Lisboa Department Escola Superior de Dança Research Field Other Other Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Countr...
Scenic Carpenter (Term), Harvard University, United States, 9 days ago
20-Feb-2024 American Repertory Theater 64992BR Job Summary The American Repertory Theater (A.R.T.) at Harvard University is a leading force in the American theater, producing groundbreaking work i...
Term Dresser, Harvard University, United States, 24 days ago
07-Feb-2024 American Repertory Theater 64868BR Job Summary The American Repertory Theater (A.R.T.) at Harvard University is a leading force in the American theater, producing groundbreaking work i...
Director Of Lighting, Sound, Projections, University of Pittsburgh, United States, 5 days ago
Director of Lighting, Sound, Projections Staff Support-Humanities - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (24001159) The Department of Theatre Arts in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences is seeking a Dir...
Multimedia Production Support Specialist, Bellevue University, United States, 7 days ago
Primary Function: This position is responsible for fulfilling daily requests for preparing, producing, duplicating, and distributing multimedia materials in support of classrooms, online classes a...