College of Liberal Arts & Sci
The Academic Advisor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (College Advising & Student Services) is assigned to a College division, with additional expertise and liaison responsibility for specific academic units. This position advises students interested mainly in Biology but will help advise in other STEM related majors using a variety of delivery methods, and conducts targeted outreach to higher risk students.
The Academic Advisor helps create an advising environment where differences are valued and each person is supported. Students work with their academic advisor and are also connected to faculty advisors/mentors in their chosen area of studies. This position also collaborates with campus partners on key advising initiatives.
Academic Advisors bring a positive, collaborative attitude to the CASS team, and help maintain a supportive atmosphere both within their division and in College Advising & Student Services as a whole.
This position would be working with students in the Biology department and reports to the divisional Senior Advisor in College Advising & Student Services, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
70% - Provides individual advising and targeted outreach to students in assigned departments, including focus on students in higher risk categories.
- Serves as initial point of advising contact for students in partnership with undergraduate coordinator or other faculty advisor/mentor in the academic unit. Connects students with faculty to explore shared area-specific interests and opportunities.
- Focuses additional efforts on students in higher risk categories.
- Connects with students in at-risk groups at the direction of senior advisor using comprehensive outreach/communication plan as guide.
- Works with students who are in “notice” status to complete academic action plan.
- Serves individual students at all advising functions related to new student orientations.
- Ensures students engage in the shared completion of a detailed semester-by-semester graduation plan.
- Covers long range progression plans and has ongoing discussions with students regarding opportunities for support and engagement, including career possibilities, and other opportunities such as study abroad, research, internships, and clubs.
- Tracks students in targeted concern groups who have not engaged in advising services.
- Completes periodic follow up contacts by various means to encourage students to connect each semester.
- Reviews student feedback regarding satisfaction of advising services and determines with CASS team the best approach for any needed targeted improvements.
- Effectively communicates and explains policies and procedures to students and stakeholders.
- Collaborates with faculty on matters relating to University undergraduate policy and procedures, including student petitions, the curricular and program change process, and the Academic Catalog. Offers feedback as appropriate from a student/advisor perspective.
- At request of unit, attends undergraduate faculty meetings, admissions and awards committee meetings.
- Collaborates with faculty regarding use of systems related to advising.
- Working with senior advisors, collaborates with campus partners, including liaisons with Undergraduate Advising Center advisors, to facilitate students’ progression from exploration to chosen pathway, giving attention to support services throughout their undergraduate academic career.
- As a member of the CASS team, works with the University Career Center to connect students to a variety of resources available to assist students in the career readiness process.
- Assists with training as needed to new faculty undergraduate coordinators and advisors on the basics of advising, policy, and procedures.
- Works with College departments to offer feedback from a student/advisor perspective and provide reports, as departments develop innovative curriculum paths that allow for a more seamless completion of the major. May assist with curriculum process as needed.
Contact Information to Applicants
Additional Candidate Instruction
This position will be advising students interested mainly in Biology but will help advise in other STEM related majors.
A complete online application includes a cover letter addressing how required and preferred qualifications are met, a resume or curriculum vitae and contact information for three professional references.
Application deadline is 6/10/19. For first consideration, please apply before that date.
Advertised Salary Range
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
University of Kansas - Lawrence
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Applied Geophysicist Assistant Professor, American Geophysical Union, United States, about 1 month ago
The Department of Geology at the University of Kansas seeks applications for a 9-month, tenure-track, faculty position in the broad field of Applied Geophysics. We seek an outstanding colleague wh...
Associate Director For Research, American Geophysical Union, United States, 28 days ago
Associate Director for Research Kansas Geological Survey The Kansas Geological Survey at the University of Kansas is seeking an Associate Director for Research The Kansas Geological Survey (KGS) s...
Assistant Teaching Professor, Mathematics, United States, 2 months ago
The Department of Mathematics, University of Kansas invites applications for an Assistant Teaching Professor in calculus. Position expected to begin January 1, 2020. Ph.D. in Mathematics or Mathe...