Job TitleAcademic Advisor III
AgencyTexas A&M University
DepartmentSchool of Performance, Visualization & Fine Arts
Proposed Minimum Salary
Proposed Minimum SalaryCommensurate
Job LocationCollege Station, Texas
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values .
Who we are
The visual and performing arts are well-established and respected programs at Texas A&M. Effective September 1, 2022, our Dance Science, Performance Studies, and Visualization programs are joining forces—and over time, significantly expanding—to combine these strengths with world-renowned Aggie expertise in science, engineering, and technology. The result: students will gain the practical, real-world skills and theoretical frameworks needed to become leaders in the highly competitive fine arts world of the 21st century. The School of Performance, Visualization and Fine Arts is for students who love to imagine, create, learn, and grow. It’s for those who love to explore new ways of seeing the world and who understand the magic that can happen when beauty and technology merge. Leading this new program will be faculty and staff with significant experience working at the intersection of theory and practice across the arts, sciences, and technology. They include dancers, directors, computer graphics engineers, composers, art historians, sound technologists—and much more. What else is ahead? One priority is a new, $175 million, state-of-the-art performing arts building that will also be a hub of engagement, creation, and discovery for future generations of Aggies in the fine arts. We can’t wait to get started, and we hope you’ll be part of our journey.
What we want
This position, under general supervision, recruits and advises students concerning their education and/or career goals, academic requirements, and related personal concerns in the New School of Performing, Visualization and Fine Arts. The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability as stated above. If this job description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity.
What you need to know
Cover Letter/Resume’: Please upload a cover letter and resume’.
Salary: Compensation will be commensurate to selected hire’s experience.
COVID-19 information: Texas A&M University monitors local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep students, employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. For the latest information regarding Texas A&M’s COVID-19 response, please visit the University’s COVID-19 website . For COVID-19 employment-related information, please visit the Division of Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness’ COVID-19 website .
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Four years of advising, recruiting, teaching, student affairs or other related areas.
Required Knowledge, Skills and abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to be able to work well with diverse students, parents, faculty, staff, and community members.
- Knowledge of student information systems, degree planning, and degree audits.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others.
Other Requirements or Other Factors:
- Some evenings and weekend work required.
- Background in an art and/or arts and technology area within the school
- Academic Advising (undergraduate students) - Advises students on educational and career goals, and academic requirements. Monitors undergraduate student progress and degree requirements. Facilitates paperwork, such as q-drop, change of curriculum and double major or degree forms. Interprets university and college policies and procedures. Verifies completion of degree requirements. Meets with, advises, and registers incoming students at New Student Conferences. Provides oversight of students during new student orientation. Answers inquiries and provides undergraduate information to prospective students, students, and parents.
- Academic Advising (graduate students) - Advises students on educational and career goals, and academic requirements. Verifies completion of degree requirements. Monitors graduate student progress and degree requirements. Facilitates paperwork such as add/drop forms, academic petitions and approvals and required department letters, e.g., letters of financial support. Answers inquiries and provides graduate information to prospective students, students, and parents.
- Administrative - Assists in scholarship and fellowship selection. Prepares academic advising reports. Develops systems for maintaining records of student contact. Interacts with faculty to provide an exchange of information and to enhance advisement of students. Participates in student-related department committees. Keeps advising related documents and spreadsheets up-to-date.
- Student Outreach - Participates in events such as AggieLand Saturday and other outreach programs as needed. Meets with and respond to phone calls and emails from prospective students. Attends events coordinated by Admissions for prospective students. Maintains contact with students after graduation. Develops a safe rapport with students, communicating accurate and timely information about academic and student resources. Is accessible and willing to assist students and makes referrals to appropriate resources for issues beyond scope of expertise. Attends required training workshops. Performs other duties as assigned.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application
In accordance with the federal contractor vaccination mandate , specific facilities at The Texas A&M System may be considered a covered contractor workplace with covered contractor employees. Therefore, successful applicants for this position may be subject to the federal mandate to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless an approved medical or religious accommodation is in place.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
Assistant Director For Web Services, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, about 18 hours ago
Job Title Assistant Director for Web Services Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Asst Vice Chancellor For Public Affairs Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Tex...
Senior Administrative Coordinator I, TAMHSC, United States, about 24 hours ago
Job Title Senior Administrative Coordinator I Agency Texas A&M University Health Science Center Department School Of Public Health Proposed Minimum Salary $3,750.00 monthly Job Location College St...
Simulation Coordinator, TAMHSC, United States, about 24 hours ago
Job Title Simulation Coordinator Agency Texas A&M University Health Science Center Department Clinical Learning Resource Center Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location Bryan, Texas Job T...
Tees Senior Research Engineer Iii Ballistic, Aero Optics, And Materials (Bam) Range, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, 3 days ago
Job Title TEES Senior Research Engineer III - Ballistic, Aero Optics, and Materials (BAM) Range Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Bush Combat Development Complex Proposed Minimum Salary Comm...
Licensed Vocational Nurse I, TAMHSC, United States, 2 days ago
Job Title Licensed Vocational Nurse I Agency Texas A&M University Health Science Center Department Student Health Services Proposed Minimum Salary $16.04 hourly Job Location College Station, Texas...
Program Specialist Iii, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, about 18 hours ago
Job Title Program Specialist III Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Workforce Development Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff Job Descripti...