Job TitleAcademic Advisor I
AgencyTexas A&M University
DepartmentDean Of Education
Proposed Minimum Salary
Proposed Minimum SalaryCommensurate
Job LocationCollege Station, Texas
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment by promoting a culture that respects all perspectives, talents & identities. Embracing varying opinions and perspectives strengthens our core values which are: Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity, and Selfless Service.
Who we are
The School of Education and Human Development is committed to enhancing equity in educational achievement and health outcomes, fostering innovation and development, and influencing policy and practice in the fields of education, health, sport, business and government. Now the fourth largest school at Texas A&M University with nearly 7,000 enrolled students, we are not just a school for teachers. We are a school for leaders not just in education, but also business, sport, health, and government. To learn more, visit us at https://education.tamu.edu/about/
What we want
The Academic Advisor I, under general supervision, recruits and advises graduate students concerning their career goals and academic requirements for the School of Education and Human Development. If this job description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity.
What you need to know
Salary: Compensation will be commensurate to selected hire’s experience.
Cover Letter/Resume : A cover letter and resume will assist us in our review of your application materials. These can be uploaded on the application under CV/Resume.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be computer literate and proficient in the use of a computer.
- Ability to analyze data and write reports.
- Master's degree.
- Knowledge of higher education and university relations.
- Knowledge of Howdy, Compass, Astra, Agros, TAMU Docs, GRS, CARS, and advising duties.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs: Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Advising - Provides academic advice and guidance to students. Advises students with academic, probationary, and financial concerns and determines possible courses of action. Approves and signs degree plans, course substitutions, add/drops, Q drops, withdraws, and change of curriculums. Approves, establishes, and monitors student probationary terms. Approves and signs no grade drops, no record drops, and applications for readmissions. Monitors student progress and degree requirements. Verifies completion of degree requirements and clears students for graduation. Reviews and provides input on admissions and scholarship applications. Monitors academic progress and implements intervention strategies for students who receive academic alerts or who need assistance in maintaining or improving their academic standing. Meets with and refers students to available resources and departments. Assists in the development of systems for maintaining records of student contacts. Advises for course selection, registration, academic planning, career and educational goal-setting, appropriate resources, transitioning to the university, and retention issues. Advises in both group and individual settings with current and prospective students.
- Graduate Advising - Works closely with Office of Graduate and Professional Studies (OGAPS) to process and track paperwork for master’s and PHD students to fulfill all degree requirements. Promotes student learning, development, and personal growth to empower self-sufficiency. Provides students with proactive referrals to appropriate resources and timely reminders, and other targeted individual and group communications using email, texting, and social media.
- Programs - Develops and presents training materials and programs. Assists with family visits and group tours. Assists in conducting new student orientation. Provides oversight of students during new student orientation and registers new students. If necessary, teaches topics within courses.
- Policies and Reports - Applies State, University, and college policies and procedures. Interacts with faculty to provide an exchange of information and to enhance the advisement of students. Prepares academic and advising reports.
- Documentation - Maintains accurate records of student contacts. Communicates with stakeholder to identify students for recruitment.
- Support - Provide support to faculty and department leadership in administrative tasks such as contracts, credentialing, scheduling, curriculum, faculty workload, department events, and various other reports. Provides administrative support, as needed, to EPSY in areas such as information requests, assistance with overall operations of equipment. Assists Faculty Graduate Division Chairs and Department Head with graduate programs. Assists Director in formulating and implementing policies and procedures.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
Program Specialist Ii, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, 12 days ago
Job Title Program Specialist II Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Workforce Development Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff Job Descriptio...
Business Coordinator Iii, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, about 2 hours ago
Job Title Business Coordinator III Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department TEES Fiscal Office Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location Bryan, Texas Job Type Staff Job Description Why work...
Senior Research Engineer I, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, about 2 hours ago
Job Title Senior Research Engineer I Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Mary Kay O'connor Process Safety Center Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Ty...
Multimedia Project Specialist I, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, about 2 hours ago
Job Title Multimedia Project Specialist I Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Remote Education Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff Job Descr...
Compliance Officer I, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, about 2 hours ago
Job Title Compliance Officer I Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Research Compliance Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location Bryan, Texas Job Type Staff Job Description Why work fo...
Senior Administrative Coordinator Ii, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, about 2 hours ago
Job Title Senior Administrative Coordinator II Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Engineering Technology Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staf...