|Academic Advisor, First-Year Exploratory Studies|
The Academic Advisor provides educational guidance to First-Year Exploratory students by connecting them with appropriate paths of study in order to achieve their educational goals. The professional academic advisor is a key facilitator dedicated to supporting all aspects of the student developmental experience and helping each student become capable of navigating the university landscape. Academic advisors, similar to faculty and other professional staff, are central to providing information, guidance, and support with the intent of enabling students to make informed decisions and engage available resources to maximize learning outcomes and pre-professional development.
The academic advising relationship engenders a sense of purpose and growing self-awareness, helping students pursue their potential at the institution. The advisor provides guidance and coaching to facilitate learning, goal setting and planning.
Working in partnership with stakeholders throughout the university community, including Disability Resources, International Students and Scholars, Drexel Central, and the Student Health Center, academic advisors are student advocates integral to student learning, growth, and development.
The academic advisor is a university professional who engages with students to:
1. Establish a collaborative and trusting relationship;
2. Provide guidance and coaching to facilitate learning, goal setting and planning;
3. Build understanding of campus values, policies, procedures and resources;
4. Facilitate coordination among campus providers to enable student success;
5. Advance critical reasoning, learning and decision making;
6. Develop related life and career goals;
7. Encourage the development of autonomy in students' academic and professional lives.
1. Bachelor's degree required; Master's preferred.
2. Possess excellent oral, written, listening, critical thinking, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
3. Possess subject matter expertise including extensive knowledge of the university's educational offerings
4. Possess a strong student-centered focus
5. Has a thorough understanding of how the processes and procedures work within the university setting
6. Possess knowledge of college students, and more specifically of the first-year student
7. Has in-depth knowledge of associated academic majors, program plans, and possible career pathways
8. Understands graduation requirements
9. Has experience in developmental counseling and/or student affairs
10. Demonstrates ability to relate to individuals and groups of students through communication and problem solving skills
11. Has ability to handle exceptions to processes and assignments with professionalism
12. Acts with diplomacy and teaches understanding
13. Understands that students' development and success is paramount
14. Demonstrates "customer service" orientation, including but not limited to timeliness, professionalism, etc.
15. Is proficient and comfortable with technologies related to the academic advisor role
16. Appropriately manages sensitive and private information
17. Has the capacity and skills to work with a diverse set of students with particular advising needs (e.g., learning accommodations and supports)
1. Establish and maintain relations with the Program Director for the First-Year Exploratory Program to understand and clarify departmental expectations,
2. Maintain current knowledge of all degree and certificate programs,
3. Work closely with admissions and financial aid staff to advise new students,
4. Work with advising staffs of the other colleges and schools at Drexel to aid First-Year Exploratory students in their exploration and transition to other majors,
5. Provide educational guidance and assistance for First-Year Exploratory students by planning schedules, recommending courses, and determining appropriate educational solutions for different types of students,
6. Work closely with other departments to connect students to academic support (e.g. tutoring, counseling),
7. Track advancement of students and provide additional support and guidance where necessary,
8. Develop a rapport and trusting relationships with advisees,
9. Serve as a mentor/coach, empowering students to set appropriate expectations, academic, personal, and career goals, action plans, and to seek assistance when needed,
10. Assist students in the development of an appropriate academic plan of study to achieve degree and professional goals, guided by an understanding of Drexel Student Learning Priorities,
11. Provide timely and accurate resources for students to successfully advance toward academic degree completion and other defined personal, academic, and professional goals,
12. Aid students in the transition to their chosen major at the end of year one,
13. Understand, interpret, and enforce University policies while aiding students in the exploration of academic and professional options,
14. Act as a conduit between students and the University by communicating relevant information from the University to students and providing critical feedback and issues from students to University decision makers
Drexel University is located in the University City section of Philadelphia, a vibrant, historic metropolis with many cultural attractions. The University is widely recognized for its focus on co-operative education and technology. Drexel University is a private top-tier research institution ranked in the top 100 among all PhD granting universities according to US News & World Report (2010).
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our website to view all University Policies and Workplace Postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment will be contingent upon the University's acceptance of the results of the background investigation.
|(5) Full Time|
|3690 Goodwin College of Prof Studies|
|Commensurate with experience|
|University City, Main Campus|
Academic Coordinator, Drexel University College of Medicine, United States, about 21 hours ago
Position Title Academic Coordinator Requisition Number 3453 Job Overview The Academic Coordinator is responsible coordinating and administering the Foundations of Patient Care Course for 260 1st y...
Senior Financial Analyst, Drexel University College of Medicine, United States, about 21 hours ago
Position Title Senior Financial Analyst Requisition Number 3482 Job Overview The Senior Financial Analyst Position is responsible for the fiscal management of the College of Medicine which include...
Assistant Or Associate Professor, Drexel University College of Medicine, United States, about 21 hours ago
Position Title Assistant or Associate Professor Requisition Number 3462 Job Overview Performs as a Vascular Surgeon in the Department of Surgery. Ability to deliver high quality patient care and ...
Program Coordinator, Drexel University College of Medicine, United States, about 21 hours ago
Position Title Program Coordinator Requisition Number 3363 Job Overview The Program Coordinator oversees the day to day operations of the Mini-Medical School Program. This position hires, trains, ...
Certified Medical Assistant Family Medicine Department, Drexel University College of Medicine, United States, about 21 hours ago
Position Title Certified Medical Assistant - Family Medicine Department Requisition Number 3466 Job Overview Functions as a Certified Medical Assistant in the clinical area who has accountability ...
Events Coordinator, University Events, La Salle University, United States, about 24 hours ago
Employment Opportunity - Events Coordinator Position Description The Events Coordinator for University Events is responsible for providing assistance in planning, coordinating and managing the log...