Current UC employees must apply internally via SuccessFactors > http://bit.ly/UCEMPL
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati embarks upon its third century – building on the past and defining the future by leading urban, public universities into a new era of innovation and impact through its strategic direction, Next Lives Here . Underscoring the power of creativity, ingenuity, invention and inclusion, what’s Next will accelerate our unrivaled momentum, evidenced by eight straight years of record enrollment and rankings that include placement among America’s top 100 public universities by U.S. News & World Report. Home to a diverse student body of nearly 47,000 and more than 4,200 distinguished faculty, the university combines its Research 1 (Very High Research Activity) Carnegie Classification with a physical setting that The New York Times recently acclaimed as “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.
The Advising department within the College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) at the University of Cincinnati (UC), invites applications for an Academic Advisor.
The Academic Advisor will advise current and prospective students about how to meet their educational, professional, and personal goals. CEAS advocates for all students and it is important the advisor meets the students where they are as their advocate.
This is an extremely high visibility position, working in the Undergraduate Advising Center in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. The position also requires a high degree of accountability and responsibility to advise our engineering and technology student populations. Daily work involves handling information that is often sensitive and confidential in nature: therefore; discretion is of critical importance. This position requires evening availability at least once a week to meet the needs of co-op students. The individual will be expected to exercise sound judgment as it relates to dealing with students, faculty, staff, administrative personnel, parents and representatives of outside organizations. This person must be a resourceful and disciplined individual, dedicated to the mission, goals, and objectives of higher education as represented by UC, CEAS and the Center.
The advisor’s performance will be assessed by the Director of Advising by means of observation of advising via student, staff, faculty, and members of the University community feedback. Under general supervision from a designated administrator, the advisor will advise current and prospective students on how to meet their educational and career goals. This will be done through the best intrusive and holistic advising practices in the field.
- Provide academic advising to facilitate students’ successful and timely educational planning and degree completion in alignment with their educational and career goals.
- Serve as advisor for a designated caseload of students through proactive outreach, support, and education. Develop a rapport of trust and accessibility with assigned students. Ensure accurate advice and quality support, contributing to persistence and a positive student experience.
- Monitor student progress and develop graduation plans in partnership with individual students. Provide information regarding curriculum, policies, procedures, opportunities, and guidelines for academic programs.
- Evaluate student information and utilize data to facilitate enrollment and registration. Maintain advising and enrollment records. In partnership with faculty, assess advanced standing credit, substitute courses to meet graduation requirements, and create degree audit exceptions. Facilitate and complete student degree certification.
- Evaluate student needs and provide appropriate resource referral to career, academic, counseling, and student life resources and opportunities.
- Support students through educational transition processes (ex. orientation, exploration, transfer, transition, and graduation.)
- Recommend actions related to academic alert, probation, suspension, and dismissal of students. Identify opportunities for high-performing student engagement and goal attainment.
- Utilize current advising and student success technologies for outreach to students. Perform other duties related to student success.
- Support student needs with sound equity and inclusion practices for student success.
- Engage ongoing professional development and training to maintain up-to-date knowledge about advising concepts, practices, policies, technologies, and student success needs at the university and in higher education.
- Function as a member of an advising or student success team to ensure the proper workflow and outcomes of the unit. Collaborate with UC advising community colleagues to advance quality advising practice.
- Attend related meetings and functions.
- Perform related duties based on departmental need. This job description can be changed at any time.
Zero (0) to one (1) year of student service or related experience.
Additional Qualifications Considered
- Undergraduate student service and/or leadership may be considered.
- Experience directly related to college students or a related field higher education.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to advise the diverse and varied student population.
- Must be able to multitask, problem solve, and work independently.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Office environment/no specific unusual physical or environmental demands.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.
SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:HEJ, SF:INS SF:HERC SF:DIV SF:LJN
Enterprise Director Uc Health Lab Services, UC Health, United States, about 12 hours ago
Enterprise Director- UC Health- Lab Services( Job Number: 067727) Description At UC Health, we're proud to have the best and brightest teams and clinicians collaborating toward our common purpose:...
Asst Patient Care Uc Medical Center Medicine 7 Nw 100108, UC Health, United States, 12 days ago
Asst - Patient Care - UC Medical Center - Medicine-7NW - 100108( Job Number: 067526) Description Title:Patient Care Assistant Location: UC Medical Center – 234 Goodman Street – Cincinnati, OH Dep...
Asst Patient Care, UC Health, United States, 26 days ago
Asst - Patient Care( Job Number: 067126) Description Title: Patient Care Assistant (PCA) Location: UC Medical Center – 234 Goodman Street – Cincinnati, OH Department: Hematology/Oncology/Bone Mar...
Mgr Registration Services, UC Health, United States, 28 days ago
Mgr - Registration Services( Job Number: 066983) Description At UC Health, we're proud to have the best and brightest teams and clinicians collaborating toward our common purpose: to advance heali...
Mammography Technologist Uc Medical Center Breast Imaging Center, UC Health, United States, about 12 hours ago
Mammography Technologist - UC Medical Center - Breast Imaging Center( Job Number: 067147) Description Title: Mammography Technologist Location: UC Medical Center Department: Breast Imaging Center ...
Clinical Program Developer/Nursing Co Op Program Uc Medical Center Center For Professional Growth & Innovative Practice, UC Health, United States, about 12 hours ago
Clinical Program Developer/Nursing Co-op Program- UC Medical Center- Center for Professional Growth & Innovative Practice( Job Number: 067324) Description At UC Health, we're proud to have the bes...