The Cornell Cooperative Extension of Westchester County 4-H Community Educator serves as a member of the 4-H Youth Development team to carry out implementation of the 4-H Youth Development programs. This position is responsible for implementing 4-H Club, School and Afterschool programming and for several Science and Technology programs. This person will work under the general supervision of the Executive Director and will deliver 4-H Programming in collaboration with Schools and Afterschool Program staff. Trains professional teachers, other adults and youth in science and technology areas. Responsible for subject matter knowledge to create lesson plans for the delivery of short and long-term programs for 4-H clubs. Represents the Association to the public, community leaders, government officials, and Cornell University.
- Bachelor’s Degree with course work in Education, Science, Animal Science and/or Youth Development related field.
- One year volunteer or related work experience.
- Experience relevant to the role of the position.
- Ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position.
- Ability to meet motor vehicle/driving record standards.
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Ability to analyze issues and to initiate, plan, organize, implement & evaluate informal educational programs addressing diverse audiences in assigned areas.
- Ability to utilize computer technology to author reports and proposals, communicate internally and externally, prepare visuals, access information and learn and teach.
- Ability to relate effectively to co-workers, advisors, community and professional leaders, and clientele groups.
- Ability to utilize resources effectively.
- Ability to identify and utilize program resources within the community.
- Ability to effectively use a variety of program delivery methods to reach individuals and groups.
- Ability to communicate effectively through oral, written, and visual channels using traditional educational tools as well as electronic technology (e.g., video, audio, computers, etc.).
- Ability to transport visual aids, tables, meeting materials, etc.
- Coursework or experience in Youth Development.
Program Delivery - 90%
- Deliver high quality 4-H Youth development educational programs and events that address local, regional and statewide 4-H Youth Development programming priorities with emphasis on 4-H School and Afterschool programs, 4-H Club programming and science and technology education. Assist in teaching innovative educational programs when grant-funded opportunities arises.
- Train teachers and other adults in the implementation of 4-H science programs (train the trainer) and provide them with curriculum, professional advice and assistance in procuring teaching materials and equipment, and provide basis for evaluating their progress.
- Utilize a variety of delivery systems, including written articles, newsletters, demonstration projects, special events, tours, media, electronic technology, internet, and distance learning to deliver programs.
- Apply subject matter knowledge to create lesson plans to deliver educational programs.
- Serve as subject matter resource.
- Provide educational program efforts via mass media including contributing articles to the newsletter, utilizing emails, phone messages, and website postings.
- Represent the Association to the public, program participants, community leaders, government officials and Cornell University, and others in a professional manner at all times.
Program Evaluation - 5%
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, review the evaluations of programs and make recommendations working with the Executive Director for strengthening and improving programs.
- Confer with program participants, association leadership, Cornell Program Coordinators and faculty, and county and community leaders to obtain their evaluation of programs.
Professional Improvement - 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes and Association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension and perform other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, Association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Westchester County policies, procedures and Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
This is a full time, benefits eligible, exempt position. Compensation paid at a range of $60,000 to $70,000 per year. Excellent benefits, based on eligibility, including:
- Vacation, Sick and Personal time
- Paid Holidays
- NYS Health Insurance Program (including Dental Insurance)
- NYS Retirement
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity
- Voluntary Flexible Spending Accounts
- Voluntary Group Universal Life Insurance
- Voluntary Personal Accidental Insurance
- Voluntary Legal Plan Insurance
- Voluntary Long Term Care Insurance
- Voluntary Auto and Homeowner’s Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Voluntary New York’s College Savings Program
Please be sure to read the Notice to Applicants found on the Jobs with CCE page:
How To Apply: Applicants (including current employees of other Cornell Cooperative Extension Associations) must apply online through the APPLY button in this job posting. Current employees of Cornell Cooperative Extension Westchester County are considered internal applicants and must apply online through their Workday account which may be accessed here: http://workday.cornell.edu/ . For details on how to apply, visit: https://cals.cornell.edu/cornell-cooperative-extension/join-us/jobs/apply
All applicants are requested to submit a cover letter, resume and indicate three individuals who may be contacted as a reference. Please consider indicating in your application all information you feel would be helpful for selection committee members to know. Once the application is submitted you will NOT be able to change your submission or add attachments. Be sure that you have followed all directions and requirements listed in the job posting.
All applications must be received on-line by February 13, 2023. Position closing dates may change based on Association needs.
No relocation or VISA Sponsorship available.
The Association may make reasonable accommodations to enable applicants to participate in the hiring process and employees to perform the essential functions of their job. For additional questions or if you require an accommodation so you may participate in the selection process you are encouraged to contact Leah Cadwallader, Regional Human Resources Manager, e-mail LC267@cornell.edu or (845) 340-3990x314.
Job Title:Association Community Educator
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Leah Cadwallader
Number of Openings:1
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement . This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell Cooperative Extension as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Dairy Management Specialist (Cornell Cooperative Extension); Central New York, Cornell Cooperative Extension, United States, 5 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -Cornell Cooperative Extension -DAIRYMANAGEMENT [#24520, WDR-00036004] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Herkimer, New York 13350, United States [map ] Sub...
Research Associate Cornell Tree Ring Laboratory, Department of Classics, United States, 5 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -Classics -RA [#24523, WDR-00036060] Position Title: Position Type:Non tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subject Area: Dendro...
Govt Visiting Assistant Professor, Government Department, United States, 5 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -Government Department -VAP1 [#24537, WDR-00036062] Position Title: Position Type:Non tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subje...
Research Associate, School of Integrative Plant Science – Section of Plant Breeding and Genetics, United States, 5 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -School of Integrative Plant Science – Section of Plant Breeding and Genetics -RESASSOC [#24531, WDR-00036031] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Ithaca, Ne...
Area Water Quality, Quantity And Climate Change Advisor (Applied Research And Extension) 22 44, University of California, United States, about 16 hours ago
County Locations : Lake County, Mendocino County Date Posted: March 21, 2023 Closing Date: May 14, 2023 Job Description: Download Position Overview The University of California, Agriculture and Na...
Ny Breeding Bird Atlas Point Count Technicians, Cornell Univeristy, United States, 25 days ago
AgencyCornell UniveristyLocationNew York StateJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$19.25/hr and mileage reimbursement or rental vehicleStart Date05/18/2023Last Date to Apply02/28/2023Web...