Purdue Language and Cultural Exchange
College of Liberal Arts
Overview of the Position
Purdue Language and Cultural Exchange (PLaCE) is a new unit focused on improving oral and written communication through culturally sensitive and educationally purposeful activities. The Continuing Lecturer (CL) position in PLaCE primarily focuses on teaching our foundational university-level English as a Second Language (ESL) classes: ENGL 110 and ENGL 111 (American Language and Culture for International Students I and II). Additional duties include (a) rater training and rating of language assessments; (b) teaching Short Courses on specific language topics or skills; (c) individual consultations with students; or (d) working with the Assistant Director to develop resources for language learners at Purdue. Additionally, the CL will participate in curriculum training/mentor meetings, attend regularly scheduled program meetings, and hold office hours per university and program policy.
This is a non-tenure track, nine-month, renewable full-time position (annual renewal based upon satisfactory performance review, staffing needs, and funding).
- Teach three sections of ESL courses per semester (ENGL 110 or 111) or an equivalent teaching load of Short Courses (80%)
- Become a trained test rater and assist with language assessments (15%)
- Design, develop, or enhance teaching and learning materials and activities (5%)
- Master’s degree in TESOL, Second Language Studies, Applied Linguistics, Educational Linguistics or other closely related field.
- At least two years of teaching experience, at the college level.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills.
- Ability to work with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and work on a team in an educational environment.
- Proficiency in a second language and/or experience living or working in an international context.
- Experience with curriculum design or development of teaching materials, interventions, or programs.
- Experience in language testing, rating, or assessment.
- Experience with training and delivery of intercultural learning.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- International candidates must meet all preferred qualifications to be considered.
Inquiries may be sent to Matthew Allen, search chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org . To apply, submit the following as PDF or Word attachments to email@example.com :
- Letter of Interest
- Short Teaching Portfolio (no more than five pages of materials that support your Letter of Interest and CV and which attest to your teaching ability, such as course evaluations, observation reports, instructional activities, or performance evaluations.)
A Background Check will be required for employment in this position.
Purdue University’s School of Liberal Arts is committed to advancing diversity in all areas of faculty effort, including scholarship, instruction, and engagement. Candidates should address at least one of these areas in their cover letter, indicating their past experiences, current interests or activities, and/or future goals to promote a climate that values diversity and inclusion.
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
College Connection Coach, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, 4 days ago
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2-4 years related experience in advising, career counseling, recruiting, or other student service related job. Strong written and oral communication and presenta...
Part Time Office Assistant Career Development, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, 28 days ago
Greets students and employer representatives, and responds to inquiries, answers phone calls and email messages, and schedules appointments. Oversees Hire Ivy, the Career Development web-based job...
Faculty Human Services, Program Chair, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, 4 days ago
INSTRUCTION 1. Deliver assigned classes using pedagogy and technology that best support student learning, and in accordance with college loading policy, course objectives and program learning outc...
Part Time Office Assistant Career Development Office, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, 4 days ago
Greets students and employer representatives, and responds to inquiries, answers phone calls and email messages, and schedules appointments. Serves as back-up receptionist for the Academic Advisin...
Maintenance Technician Iv, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, 4 days ago
Professional Standards: As a member of a professional team whose difficult job it is to achieve the highest possible standards of cleanliness and maintenance, it is essential that every member of ...
Faculty Advanced Automation And Robotic Technology, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, 4 days ago
Must have strong working knowledge of current technologies appropriate to area of instruction. A qualified adjunct faculty member, including Dual Credit, Workforce Alignment and a fulltime faculty...