Purdue Language and Cultural Exchange
College of Liberal Arts
Overview of the Position
Purdue Language and Cultural Exchange (PLaCE) is a new unit focused on improving oral and written communication through culturally sensitive and educationally purposeful activities. The Continuing Lecturer (CL) position in PLaCE primarily focuses on teaching our foundational university-level English as a Second Language (ESL) classes: ENGL 110 and ENGL 111 (American Language and Culture for International Students I and II). Additional duties include (a) rater training and rating of language assessments; (b) teaching Short Courses on specific language topics or skills; (c) individual consultations with students; or (d) working with the Assistant Director to develop resources for language learners at Purdue. Additionally, the CL will participate in curriculum training/mentor meetings, attend regularly scheduled program meetings, and hold office hours per university and program policy.
This is a non-tenure track, nine-month, renewable full-time position (annual renewal based upon satisfactory performance review, staffing needs, and funding).
- Teach three sections of ESL courses per semester (ENGL 110 or 111) or an equivalent teaching load of Short Courses (80%)
- Become a trained test rater and assist with language assessments (15%)
- Design, develop, or enhance teaching and learning materials and activities (5%)
- Master’s degree in TESOL, Second Language Studies, Applied Linguistics, Educational Linguistics or other closely related field.
- At least two years of teaching experience, at the college level.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills.
- Ability to work with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and work on a team in an educational environment.
- Proficiency in a second language and/or experience living or working in an international context.
- Experience with curriculum design or development of teaching materials, interventions, or programs.
- Experience in language testing, rating, or assessment.
- Experience with training and delivery of intercultural learning.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- International candidates must meet all preferred qualifications to be considered.
Inquiries may be sent to Matthew Allen, search chair, at email@example.com . To apply, submit the following as PDF or Word attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Letter of Interest
- Short Teaching Portfolio (no more than five pages of materials that support your Letter of Interest and CV and which attest to your teaching ability, such as course evaluations, observation reports, instructional activities, or performance evaluations.)
A Background Check will be required for employment in this position.
Purdue University’s School of Liberal Arts is committed to advancing diversity in all areas of faculty effort, including scholarship, instruction, and engagement. Candidates should address at least one of these areas in their cover letter, indicating their past experiences, current interests or activities, and/or future goals to promote a climate that values diversity and inclusion.
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Agriculture Intern For Whin Initiative, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, about 11 hours ago
General Description of Position: Full-time temporary position, May - August, 2019 This internship position will support the Ivy Tech activities affiliated with the Wabash Heartland Innovation Netw...
Evening Receptionist Clinton County Instructional Center, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, about 11 hours ago
General Description of Position: Serves as Evening Office Assistant/Receptionist and provides office support for the Site Director's office; maintains a professional image and high level of confid...
Adjunct Faculty, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, about 11 hours ago
Subject matter expert relative to industrial maintenance technologies, safety, and lean quality processes. Initially, 4-8 hours per week spent developing training material and overall class delive...
Testing Services Proctor, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, about 11 hours ago
High school graduate required. A working knowledge of computers is essential. Excellent word processing and spreadsheet computing skills are required. Must exhibit excellent interpersonal communic...