Open to new ideas. Since 1365. As a research university with high international visibility and a wide range of degree programmes, the University of Vienna is committed to basic research open to application and research-led teaching, as well as to career development of young researchers and to the dialogue with economy and society. That way, the University of Vienna contributes to the education of future generations and to the society’s ability to innovate.
The appointment of particularly qualified researchers to university professors is an important strategy of the University of Vienna. Become part of this vibrant and future-oriented organisation.
At the Faculty of Social Sciences of the University of Vienna the position of a
University Professor of Austrian Politics in the European Context
(full time, permanent position) is to be filled.
The professorship focuses on actors, processes, politics, and policies of the Austrian political system in the context of the European Union and its neighbouring countries. The successful candidate’s work includes the analysis of new challenges and developments such as international migration, pandemics, and illiberal trends, which challenge traditional notions of citizenship, participation, democratic legitimacy, and representation. In addition to thematic focus areas, introductory and in-depth teaching on the political systems of Austria and the EU is to be covered.
Successful candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Doctoral degree/PhD and post-doctoral experience at a university or other research institution
- Habilitation (venia docendi) in a subject field relevant to this position or an internationally accepted equivalent qualification is desirable
- Outstanding achievements in research, excellent publication record, international reputation
- Experience in designing, procuring and managing large research projects, as well as the willingness and ability to lead research groups
- Enthusiasm for excellent teaching, teaching experience at universities as well as the ability and willingness to teach students in all phases of their studies (bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level), to supervise academic theses and to promoting young academic colleagues
The University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to acquire, within three years, proficiency in German sufficient for teaching in bachelor’s programmes and for participation in university committees. In addition, the University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to be prepared to take over responsibility on the organisational level of the Faculty and the University, if necessary.
- a negotiable and attractive salary (classification according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement for University Staff, allocation to job group A1; section 98 of the Universities Act 2002); the salary will be individually negotiated under consideration of the previous career development and the current income situation
- in addition to the statutory social insurance, the University of Vienna offers a pension fund to its employees
- a “start-up package”, in particular for the initiation of research projects
- a dynamic research location with well-established research funding provisions
- attractive working conditions in a city with a high quality of life
- comprehensive advice and support in relation to finding an accommodation, change of schools and dual career
- a wide range of support services offered by central service institutions
The University of Vienna pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at ). The University puts special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
- Application letter, including a brief description of:
- current research interests and research plans for the immediate future
- current and planned foci in academic teaching and the supervision of young researchers
- Academic curriculum vitae, including information about “esteem factors” (e.g. experience as a publisher, functions in research societies or programme committees)
- List of publications, including:
- specification of five key publications which the applicant considers particularly relevant to the advertised professorship
- provision of an Internet link for download or electronic submission of PDF versions of these five publications
- information about citations and impact factors, depending on the common practice in the relevant research area
- List of talks given,
- including information about invited keynote lectures at international conferences
- Third-party funds
- list of acquired third-party funds (subject, duration, origin, volume) as well as, if applicable, of inventions/patents
- Overview of previous academic teaching and supervised theses, especially doctoral theses
- Teaching evaluations (if available)
- Copies of documents and certificates
Applications in English should be submitted by e-mail to the Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences of the University of Vienna, Univ.-Prof. Hajo Boomgaarden, PhD, Rooseveltplatz 2, A-1090 Vienna (email@example.com ).
Reference no.: 490-48
The application deadline is 29 September 2021.
Senior Scientist, Faculty of Physics, Austria, 27 days ago
The Faculty of Physics at the University of Vienna invites applications for the position of a senior scientist in the Isotope Physics group. The group operates the Vienna Environmental Research Ac...
Tenure Track Professor Of Nonperturbative Hadron/ Flavorphysics, Karl-Franzens-University Graz, Austria, 10 days ago
We are looking for an excellent researcher who will complement and extend further the expertise in theoretical particle physics at the institute and will be able to cover the field of theoretical ...
(Senior) Researcher / Scientific Epidemiologist, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Lung Health, Austria, 24 days ago
The Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Lung Health is seeking a full-time and highly motivated (Senior) Researcher / Scientific epidemiologist at the earliest possible date. WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR Yo...
Scientific Staff, Faculty of Social Sciences, Austria, 10 days ago
Communication studies is a social science with a diversity of research methods. Its core is the indirect public communication, transmitted by mass media. The Department of Communication of the Uni...
Philanthropy Officer (Principal Gifts), Central European University, Hungary, 1 day ago
Position: Staff Location: Vienna Status: Full-time Unit: Development Office E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Application deadline date: November 1, 2021 Starting date: As soon as possible Work Location: ...
Mass Spectrometry Expert, Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST Austria), Austria, 4 days ago
IST Austria is growing. Grow with us! IST Austria is a growing international institute for conducting frontier research in mathematics, computer science, and the life and physical sciences. We rec...