39 Faculty of Computer Science
Startdate: 02.11.2023 | Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc)
Limited until: permanent
Reference no.: 1225
Among the many good reasons to want to research and teach at the University of Vienna, there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for their continuous striving and curiosity in order to be able to be scientifically successful. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of influence:
The Faculty of Computer Science at the University of Vienna covers a wide range of topics not only in the core areas of computer science, but also in its fields of application. One goal is to strengthen the disciplinary core of the Faculty of Computer Science in order to successfully further develop interdisciplinary connections from it and make valuable contributions to current and future challenges in both research and teaching.
The TEL (Technology Enhanced Learning) working group at the Faculty of Computer Science researches and develops methods, techniques, theories and applications in the context of technology-enhanced learning and learner-centredness to make learning more sustainable, engaging and effective. In addition to subject-specific competencies, the programme will also deepen communicative, social, digital and interdisciplinary skills and explore the integration of AI-supported tools into teaching and learning.
The Faculty of Computer Science creates a university assistant position (Praedoc, 3-year fixed-term) at the research group EDEN (Education, Didactics and Entertainment Computing), working group TEL, which is linked to a doctoral programme within the framework of the consortium "dig!doc - Gelingensbedingungen einer Digitalen (Grund-)Bildung" (Success Conditions for Digital Basic Education) and the writing of a dissertation in the designated area. The doctoral programme dig!doc focuses on researching the conditions for success for digital (basic) education. This requires a holistic, interdisciplinary view that addresses the levels of digitalisation, school development and competence orientation. Results show how digital technologies are used in a self-determined way in creative confrontation and emphasise the importance of the ability to actively and creatively engage in current and future digitalisation processes and discourses.
Details on dig!doc can be found here . Details on the call for proposals "Educational innovation needs educational research", in which dig!doc was funded, can be found on the OeAD website (https://oead.at/de/expertise/bildungsinnovation-braucht-bildungsforschung ).
Preferred topic (working title):
- Possibilities and limits of self-determined learning of digital competences in teacher education and implications for digital basic education.
Also possible with agreement (working title):
- Transforming Educational Inequalities and Strengthening the Sense of Belonging in Digital Basic Education.
- Computational Empowerment from a Teacher's Perspective in the Context of Teaching
Your future tasks:
You actively participate in research, teaching & administration, which means:
- You will participate in research projects and scientific studies.
- We expect you to complete your dissertation agreement within 12 months.
- You work on your dissertation and its completion in the collegium of the cooperative doctoral programme dig!doc.
- You will write and participate in publications and give public lectures.
- You will independently hold lectures to the extent stipulated in the collective agreement and supervise students.
- They participate in the application and implementation of projects.
- They participate in evaluation measures and quality assurance.
- You will take on administrative tasks in research and teaching.
- You will be involved in the organisation of meetings, conferences and symposia.
This is part of your personality:
- Completed Master's or Diploma degree preferably in computer science, computer science-related studies or in teacher training with a subject in computer science, and/or also a focus on inclusion, psychology or educational science.
- Interdisciplinary orientation and willingness to work across disciplines.
- Professional competences in one or more of the following areas: Educational Technologies, Digital Literacy Frameworks, Digital Literacy, Technology-enhanced Learning, Learner-centred Teaching, Conceptual Modelling, Human-Centered Design, Educational Standards, AI Tools, Visualisation, Media Didactics, Digital Inclusion.
- Didactic competences, as well as knowledge or preferably experience of the school subject "Digital Basic Education".
- Own teaching experience and/or teaching hours at secondary level
- Methodological skills in the field of qualitative and quantitative research, ideally in design science
- Interest in helping to shape the digital and social transformation in education,
- Very good written and spoken English and German skills
- IT skills
- Team competence as well as high social and communicative skills
Desirable qualifications are:
- Basic knowledge and interest in ethics, psychology and philosophy.
- Experience with digital literacy frameworks and AI in education
- Scientific publications
- Excellent knowledge of English (C1)
What we offer:
The employment duration is 3 years. Initially limited to 1.5 years, the employment relationship is automatically extended to 3 years if the employer does not terminate it within the first 12 months by submitting a non-extension declaration.
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible, family-friendly working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 3277,30 (on a full-time basis) increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
- With your scientific curriculum vitae / letter of intent
- Letter of motivation for participation in the cooperative doctoral programme dig!doc (for info on dig!doc see above, approx. 1 page)
- Letter of confirmation of completed Master's/Diploma studies
- If available: List of publications, teaching experience
- Via our job portal/ Apply now - button
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity . We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 10/31/2023
University Assistant Predoctoral, Universität Wien, Austria, 6 days ago
27 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Universität Wien Research Field Computer science » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Austria Application Deadline 15 Mar...
University Assistant Postdoctoral, Universität Wien, Austria, 26 days ago
7 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Universität Wien Research Field Educational sciences » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Austria Application Deadline 25 ...
University Assistant Predoctoral, Universität Wien, Austria, 6 days ago
27 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Universität Wien Research Field Psychological sciences » Other Psychological sciences » Cognitive science Psychological sciences » Psychology Resea...
University Assistant Postdoctoral, Universität Wien, Austria, 11 days ago
22 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Universität Wien Research Field Biological sciences » Other Biological sciences » Biology Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Au...
University Assistant (Pre Doc) 2024/0028, Veterinärmedizinische Universität Wien (University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna), Austria, 28 days ago
5 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Veterinärmedizinische Universität Wien (University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna) Department Clinical Department for Small Animals and Horses Resear...
Social Scientist With A Focus On Gis, Cartography And Mixed Methods (Praedoctoral Or Postdoctoral), Universität Wien, Austria, 20 days ago
13 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Universität Wien Research Field Sociology » Social changes Sociology » Social shaping of technology Sociology » Other Researcher Profile First Stag...