53 Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy
Startdate: 02.10.2023 | Working hours: 40 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc)
Limited until: 30.09.2029
Reference no.: 730
Among the many reasons to research and teach at the University of Vienna there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for continuous striving for top international research and scientific excellence. At the same time they enjoy support and liberties that are not a given at other institutions. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of play:
To strengthen our team we are seeking an outstanding, independent, creative and innovative person with a strong research focus on palaeoichthyology, preferably chondrichthyan fishes, combining knowledge from extant and fossil taxa. It is expected that she / he establishes new research directions that supplement the main topics of our research group and have the potential to build new connections within the faculty and university, but also with research groups outside the University.
The position is intended for further qualification (German "Habilitation").
Your future position is at the Department of Palaeontology in the Evolutionary Morphology Research Group, which is characterized by excellent research in palaeoichthyology at the interfaces between palaeobiology and evolutionary developmental biology.
We build on a good working atmosphere, close collaboration with our students and collaborators from other institutions, and self-dependent involvement and co-ordination of research projects. As an international team, we are committed to an open, diverse, and inclusive environment that nurtures the growth and development of all.
Your future tasks:
75% - Research & Reporting
- You develop an independent research profile, and conduct research projects with a strong focus on the evolution of fishes, preferrable chondrichthyans
- You write and submit papers to high profile journals describing the results from your research.
- You attend at least one national or international conference each year to present results
- You apply for third-party funding through national and/or international funding agencies
20% - Other duties
- You teach courses in the Bachelors' and Masters' Programs in Geo Sciences and Life Sciences independently (as defined by the collective agreement).
- You co-supervise of BSc, MSc and PhD students
- You participate in evaluation measures and quality assurance
- You participate in the academic self-administration (in particular for research and teaching)
- You support data management
5% - Public Service
- You participate in public outreach, such as media releases and presentations at public events
This is part of your personality:
- Doctoral degree (PhD or equivalent) in palaeontology, palaeobiology, evolutionary biology or zoology with outstanding dissertation
- Very good publication track record with strong focus on ichthyology/palaeoichthyology (preferable chondrichthyan fishes)
- Experience conducting phylogenetic analyses using TNT, PAUP, and/or MrBayse, as evident on application materials
- Knowledge of Geometeric Morphometrics and R! are significant advantages
- Record of giving presentations at major scientific meetings
- Excellent English writing and speaking skills (C1)
Additional desirable qualifications, experience and knowledge
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to manage conflicts
- Excellent time management skills
- Experience in teaching and training
- Experience in (co-)supervising students
- Experience in (co-)organising events
- Documented knowledge of vertebrate anatomy and morphology
- Documented knowledge geology and/or sedimentology
What we offer:
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 3,277.30 increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
- With your letter of motivation
- With a description of research interests and research agenda as well as possible research projects to be conducted in our research group (not more than three pages)
- With an up-to-date academic CV including a list of publications, a list of taught courses (if applicable), and a list of talks given
- With evidence of successful completion of university studies (BSc and MSc) and doctoral degree
- With two letters of recommendation
- Applicants will not be entitled to any refund of expanses incurred because of the application process
- Via our job portal/ Apply now - button by Sept. 15, 2023
If you have any content questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity . We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 09/15/2023
Scientific Researcher, University of Vienna, Austria, 3 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Vienna Department Department of Geography and Regional Research Research Field Geography » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Resea...
Scientific Researcher, Universität Wien, Austria, 3 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Universität Wien Research Field Geography » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Austria Application Deadline 18 Dec 2023 -...
Project Researcher (Predoctoral) In The Research Group Software Architecture, University of Vienna, Austria, 1 day ago
30 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Vienna Department Faculty of Computer Science Research Field Computer science » Programming Computer science » Systems design Researc...
University Assistant (Post Doc), Vienna University of Technology, Austria, 2 days ago
30 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Vienna University of Technology Research Field Chemistry » Applied chemistry Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Austria Applicat...
Postdoc Position In E Dna Analysis Of Freshwater Plankton Communities (M/F/X), Leibniz, Germany, about 23 hours ago
The Department of Evolutionary and Integrative Ecology of the IGB in Berlin is looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/x) to start on 1 March 2024, for a project using water and sediment eDNA t...
Postdoc Position (F/M/X), Austrian Academy of Sciences, The Human Resource Department, Austria, 4 days ago
28 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Austrian Academy of Sciences, The Human Resource Department Research Field Physics » Quantum mechanics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2...