View All Vacancies
Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: City Centre Campus (Millennium Point)
Salary: £23,897 to £25,975 per annum
Closing Date: Tuesday 31 December 2019
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Located in a modern £300M campus in the heart of Birmingham, the School of Engineering and the Built Environment is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in student growth and in sustained advancement of research activities, the school has embarked on a programme of extensive expansion funded by substantial long-term investments. The schools laboratories and workshop have recently received a £7M investment including the addition of a civil engineering lab and geotechnical engineering lab.
The school is looking to appoint an enthusiastic and organised technician with a background in civil engineering to join the multidisciplinary technical team. The primary responsibility of the role is to assist in the day to day running of the civil and geotechnical engineering labs with guidance and support from the technical manager. The post holder will aid in the delivery of a busy timetable of taught practical sessions, and providing support and supervision to students working on projects. The role requires knowledge of the practical aspects of structural, concrete and geotechnical testing. An understanding of fluid mechanics would be beneficial, although training can be provided. It is a hands on and student facing role requiring excellent communication skills and a creative and flexible approach to training people from a wide range of backgrounds, creating an inspiring learning environment. The successful applicant should also be confident in ensuring a health and safety orientated culture.
- Assist with learning and teaching activities, primarily in the civil and geotechnical engineering labs, and in the workshop and other labs as needed.
- Provide technical advice, guidance and assistance to students, academic colleagues.
- Demonstrate the use of a range of equipment for geotechnical and structural testing, and fluid dynamics.
- Setting up equipment and materials in preparation for classes.
- Undertake routine maintenance and repair of equipment, and where necessary, escalate for external service.
- Ensure that working spaces and equipment are properly maintained and kept in good order to ensure an appropriate academic and technical working environment.
- Support academic staff with the purchase of equipment and materials for learning and teaching.
- Maintain electronic and hard copy records relating to equipment and consumables (such as inventories, records of stock levels).
- Ensure that standards of work are fully compliant with University health and safety policy and relevant regulations.
Skills and Experience
- A HND or equivalent in relevant subject or equivalent practical experience in a relevant occupation. This experience may be from an educational or industry environment, preferably a combination of both.
- IT skills including knowledge of specialist systems and software relevant to technical areas and familiarity with Microsoft Office.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Specialised knowledge of equipment, technology, processes and techniques
- The ability to engage the interest of students and support their learning.
- An understanding of relevant health and safety requirements
- An organised approach to work with the ability work on own initiative
- The ability to prioritise different tasks efficiently.
With around 24,000 students from 80 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate staff, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance is producing some of the country’s most employable graduates.
We put £270 million into the regional economy and support thousands of jobs in the area. We're investing £260 million in our estate, including a major expansion of our city centre campus at Eastside, providing students with an enviable range of facilities. The Complete University Guide ranked us as a top 30 UK university for spending on facilities in 2015.
Our staff and student community is defined by our core values, which outline who we are as a University and how we will work with each other. Our core values are Excellence, People focused, Partnership working and Fairness and integrity.
To apply for this role, please complete the online application form and attach a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including names to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Please note that this role is not capable of sponsorship under Tier 2 of the points based system.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Birmingham City University holds an Athena Swan Bronze Award and promotes the advancement of gender equality through Representation, Progression and Success for All. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Nihr Clinical Lecturer In Endodontics Institute Of Clinical Sciences 95678 Clinical Salary, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Endodontics - Institute of Clinical Sciences - 95678 - clinical salary - (20000042) Description Position Details School of Dentistry College of Medical and Dental Science...
Professor Of Biostatistics And Clinical Trials Cancer And Genomic Sciences 95556 Professorial Banding, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
Professor of Biostatistics and Clinical Trials - Cancer and Genomic Sciences - 95556 - Professorial Banding - (190006SC) Description Position Details Institute of Cancer and Genomic Sciences Locat...
Head Of Student Communications Academic Services 95683 Grade 8, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
Head of Student Communications - Academic Services - 95683 - Grade 8 - (2000004Y) Description Position Details Academic Services Location - University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, UK Full time starti...
Academic Clinical Lecturer In Respiratory Medicine Institute Of Inflammation And Ageing 46423 Clinical Academic Salary, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Academic Clinical Lecturer in Respiratory Medicine - Institute of Inflammation and Ageing - 46423 - Clinical Academic Salary - (20000050) Description Position Details Institute of Inflammation an...
Project Manager, University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Location Wolverhampton Campus Faculty/Department IT Services Salary £35,844 - £42,793 pa It is an exciting time for digital services at the University of Wolverhampton and we are hoping that you w...
College Administrative Assistant College Of Life And Environmental Sciences 95520 Band 500, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
College Administrative Assistant - College of Life and Environmental Sciences - 95520 - Band 500 - (190006KB) Description College Administrative Assistant (Degree Apprenticeships and Industrial Pl...