View All Vacancies
Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: City Centre Campus (Millennium Point)
Salary: £23,897 to £25,975 per annum
Closing Date: Tuesday 31 December 2019
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Located in a modern £300M campus in the heart of Birmingham, the School of Engineering and the Built Environment is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in student growth and in sustained advancement of research activities, the school has embarked on a programme of extensive expansion funded by substantial long-term investments. The schools laboratories and workshop have recently received a £7M investment including the addition of a civil engineering lab and geotechnical engineering lab.
The school is looking to appoint an enthusiastic and organised technician with a background in civil engineering to join the multidisciplinary technical team. The primary responsibility of the role is to assist in the day to day running of the civil and geotechnical engineering labs with guidance and support from the technical manager. The post holder will aid in the delivery of a busy timetable of taught practical sessions, and providing support and supervision to students working on projects. The role requires knowledge of the practical aspects of structural, concrete and geotechnical testing. An understanding of fluid mechanics would be beneficial, although training can be provided. It is a hands on and student facing role requiring excellent communication skills and a creative and flexible approach to training people from a wide range of backgrounds, creating an inspiring learning environment. The successful applicant should also be confident in ensuring a health and safety orientated culture.
- Assist with learning and teaching activities, primarily in the civil and geotechnical engineering labs, and in the workshop and other labs as needed.
- Provide technical advice, guidance and assistance to students, academic colleagues.
- Demonstrate the use of a range of equipment for geotechnical and structural testing, and fluid dynamics.
- Setting up equipment and materials in preparation for classes.
- Undertake routine maintenance and repair of equipment, and where necessary, escalate for external service.
- Ensure that working spaces and equipment are properly maintained and kept in good order to ensure an appropriate academic and technical working environment.
- Support academic staff with the purchase of equipment and materials for learning and teaching.
- Maintain electronic and hard copy records relating to equipment and consumables (such as inventories, records of stock levels).
- Ensure that standards of work are fully compliant with University health and safety policy and relevant regulations.
Skills and Experience
- A HND or equivalent in relevant subject or equivalent practical experience in a relevant occupation. This experience may be from an educational or industry environment, preferably a combination of both.
- IT skills including knowledge of specialist systems and software relevant to technical areas and familiarity with Microsoft Office.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Specialised knowledge of equipment, technology, processes and techniques
- The ability to engage the interest of students and support their learning.
- An understanding of relevant health and safety requirements
- An organised approach to work with the ability work on own initiative
- The ability to prioritise different tasks efficiently.
With around 24,000 students from 80 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate staff, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance is producing some of the country’s most employable graduates.
We put £270 million into the regional economy and support thousands of jobs in the area. We're investing £260 million in our estate, including a major expansion of our city centre campus at Eastside, providing students with an enviable range of facilities. The Complete University Guide ranked us as a top 30 UK university for spending on facilities in 2015.
Our staff and student community is defined by our core values, which outline who we are as a University and how we will work with each other. Our core values are Excellence, People focused, Partnership working and Fairness and integrity.
To apply for this role, please complete the online application form and attach a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including names to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Please note that this role is not capable of sponsorship under Tier 2 of the points based system.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Birmingham City University holds an Athena Swan Bronze Award and promotes the advancement of gender equality through Representation, Progression and Success for All. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Marketing, Communications & Events Officer For Regional Centre , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
Salary: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £27,511 to £30,046 with potential progression once in post to £33,797 Hours: Full time Band/Grade: Grade 6 Duration: Fixed-term until ...
Senior Lecturer Or Senior Teaching Fellow In Financial Management/Management Accounting (Maternity Cover) , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Location: Curzon Building Fixed Term (Maternity Cover until 31 August 2021) Closing Date: Monday 27 July 2020 Interview Date: Tuesday 11 August 2020 Located in a modern £300m campus in the heart o...
Senior Lecturer Or Senior Teaching Fellow In Financial Management/ Management Accounting , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Location: Curzon Building Closing Date: Monday 27 July 2020 Interview Date: Tuesday 11 August 2020 Located in a modern £300m campus in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, the Business School is a...
Disability Adviser , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, about 15 hours ago
Location: City South Campus Salary: £32,669 to £35,510 per annum Closing Date: Wednesday 19 August 2020 Interview Date: Friday 04 September 2020 Reference: 072020-253 The Disability Support Team p...
Ctl Teaching Support Technician (Term Time Only) Collaborative Teaching Laboratory 39669 Band 300, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
CTL Teaching Support Technician (Term Time Only) - Collaborative Teaching Laboratory - 39669 - Band 300 - (2000027Q) Description Position Details Collaborative Teaching Laboratory in the College o...
Lecturer In Marketing (Teaching Focused) Birmingham Business School 14860 Grade 8, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago
Lecturer in Marketing (Teaching Focused) - Birmingham Business School - 14860 - Grade 8 - (200001GY) Description Position Details Birmingham Business School College of Social Sciences Location: Un...