Birmingham International Academy
University of Birmingham, Dubai campus
Location: Dubai, UAE
Closing date: 22 April 2021
Summary of Role
The post holder will be expected to teach English for Academic Purposes across a range of programmes or modules including Presessional English, Foundation EAP modules and Academic English in-sessional courses.
The post holder will be expected to teach on average 18 hours per week (with reduction being given for administrative, managerial or other duties as directed and agreed) and conduct 1 to 1 tutorials. The post holder will be expected to teach for 39 weeks per year. S/he will teach across all programmes but may predominantly be attached to a specific programme for materials development or managerial purposes (specialist duties may include assessment development, teacher development, VLE development, quality systems and audits).
The post holder will also undertake other teaching-related activities and any other relevant duties, as laid down by the BIA Operations and Development Director /Programme Managers.
· A Masters in a TEFL-related area and a CELTA or
· A diploma in English teaching/ PGCE with substantial TEFL component, or diploma-level qualifications as defined in section 4.2 of the British Council’s Accreditation UK handbook https://www.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/k062_uk_accreditation_handbook_2019_final_v2.pdf (pp.34-36)
· Substantial experience and expertise in delivering EAP/ESAP at a UK Higher Education institution to UG and PG international students from a diverse range of backgrounds and an excellent teaching record
· A sound knowledge and understanding of pedagogic and academic issues in teaching EAP/ESP
· Experience of teaching English for Specific Academic Purposes (e.g. to students of Engineering, Law, etc).
· In-depth knowledge and understanding of the UK higher education system
· Excellent classroom performance
· Ability to design and deliver module materials and assessments successfully.
· Confidence and skills in using technology to deliver teaching online
· Clear and effective written and oral presentation skills.
· Experience of safeguarding the welfare of students.
· The ability to form professional working relationships with all students, including under 18s and vulnerable adults.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and collegiality.
· Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes.
· Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly
In return, you will receive a competitive package and be a key part of an expanding and ambitious University as we develop our international reputation and global footprint.
This is a full-time post, based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The University of Birmingham is an Athena Swan Bronze award holder and committed to providing a supportive work environment for our staff and providing equal opportunities in our recruitment process.
Further details relating to this position as well as our developing Dubai Campus can be found at http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/dubai/work-with-us/index.aspx
For informal enquiries, please contact Gareth Mainwaring, Director of Operations and Development - email firstname.lastname@example.org (Birmingham) and Professor David Sadler, Provost (Dubai campus) - email email@example.com (Dubai)
Senior Lecturer / Programme Director In Educational Leadership (Teaching Focused) Dubai School Of Education 97173 Grade 9, University of Birmingham, United Arab Emirates, 16 days ago
Senior Lecturer / Programme Director in Educational Leadership (Teaching-focused) Dubai - School of Education - 97173 - Grade 9 - (210000MR) Description Position Details School of Education Univ...
Teacher Of English For Academic Purposes, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Job Title Four full-time Teachers of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at NUIST-Reading Academy / College of Liberal Arts Description Applications are invited for four full time posts of Teacher...
Cafm Co Ordinator Estates 59741 Band 500, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 21 hours ago
CAFM Co-Ordinator - Estates - 59741 - Band 500 - (210000N2) Description Position Details Estates Department University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time starting salary is normally...
Course Tutor In English For Academic Purposes, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Join a unique British University in China. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. This award winning campus offering a ...
Enrollment Coordinator, Postgraduate Programs (South Asia), Hult, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
Enrollment Coordinator, Postgraduate Programs(South Asia) Location: Dubai, UAE Level: Associate Department: Sales & Marketing The Opportunity As an Enrollment Coordinator for Hult Inter...
Director Of Reward & Benefits, Coventry University, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
Coventry University Group has undertaken an evolutionary transformation over recent years and we have achieved our success to date through the determination and professionalism of our people; inve...