At Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) we are building quantum computers to enable life-changing discoveries: from new drug modelisation to longer-lasting battery technology and portfolio optimisation. We are developing a cloud based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS) – to help our customers improve their operations and trailblaze new commercial and scientific approaches.
Our team is composed of 25 people with various backgrounds in quantum physics, nanotechnologies, hardware, and software. We are all bound by the desire to put OQC at the forefront of the quantum revolution and help solve some of the world’s most challenging problems.
At the heart of our quantum computer is the quantum processor which executes quantum instructions. Our users write programs in a high level language and it is the job of the quantum control system to interpret and compile this into a optimised, low level instruction set which is ultimately converted into a microwave pulse sequence that controls the quantum processor.
As a software engineer working on this system, you will have the opportunity to work on all parts of the stack, from high level compilation through to low level device drivers and hardware specific optimisations.
Our ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate strong algorithmic capabilities coupled with the execution of best practice agile software engineering principles. In addition, specific experience of compiler design, driver development and/or embedded / FPGA systems will be a considerable advantage.
You are not expected to have a background in physics or quantum systems. However, you will be excited to work in a multidisciplinary team including physicists and hardware engineers, contributing actively to all aspects of the development of our quantum computer.
- Develop software for our control systems as part of our multidisciplinary team across a range of projects involving low-level processor design, control hardware and compiler design.
- Work across the entire software development lifecycle, from requirements capture and definition through to automated test and release.
- Be an active contributor to our future roadmap, architecture and strategy
Mentor junior members of the team
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- Strong mathematical skills
- A bachelor’s degree in a scientific, mathematical or engineering discipline. PhD a bonus.
- Excellent software skills, ideally in Python and/or C++.
- Strong problem solving, troubleshooting and analysis skills
- Exemplary communication, ability to self-manage and take initiative in solving problems
- Experience working in an agile team environment, preferably kanban or scrum. A proponent of best practice software development techniques including testing, continuous improvement and deployment etc.
- Technically versatile and excited to learn new skills that you can apply across multiple types of projects
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- In-depth knowledge of Python and SciPy libraries.
- Knowledge of processor architectures, compiler technologies, and familiarity with the LLVM toolchain
- Experience in embedded software and low-level driver development
LOCATION & TRAVEL
OQC’s office is located in Shinfield, Reading. There will be a requirement for occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for conferences, meetings and engineering visits.
We look forward to hearing from you!
At OQC we are not just hoping you’ll fit in our culture. We aspire to thrive, as a company and as people, thanks to your diversity of thought and background. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to providing our team members with a work environment free from discrimination, where everyone is treated with respect. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, talent and merit and all our colleagues share in the responsibility for fulfilling our commitment to diversity. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, or if you think we can do better with our recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
Software Engineer For Quantum Communication Systems: High Performance Data Processing, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
QuTech is a mission-driven research institute run jointly by Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) and the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO). Together, we work on ...
Tenure Track Faculty Position In Quantum Computing And Machine Learning, Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Project description The Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science is searching a new faculty member for the Applied Quantum Algorithms group, a joint initiative with the Leiden Institute of ...
Hqipd2021, Harvard Quantum Initiative, United States, about 17 hours ago
Fellowship ID:Harvard -Harvard Quantum Initiative -HQIPD2021 [#19396] Fellowship Title: Harvard Quantum Initiative Postdoctoral Fellowship Fellowship Type:Postdoctoral Location:Cambridge, Massach...
Tenure Track Faculty Position In Theoretical Physics Focused On Quantum Algorithms, Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Project description The Leiden Institute of Physics is searching a new faculty member for the Applied Quantum Algorithms group, a joint initiative with the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer ...
Researcher Within Ultraviolet Nanowire/Graphene Laser, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 12 hours ago
About the position We have a vacancy for a researcher at the Department of Electronic Systems (IES) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). The position will be in the “III-V...
44448 Summer Studentship – Smart Devices For Automatic Detection And Identification Of Flying Insects Plant & Food Research, Plant & Food Research, New Zealand, about 11 hours ago
Aim of project and nature of duties/techniques: This project aims to utilise technology to better understand the behaviour and distribution of flying insects in both crop and native ecosystems. De...