View Vacancy -- Service Technician - PNAC - Biological Services Group - LMB 1531
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
As this job does not fulfil the UK Government minimum salary criterion for obtaining sponsored migrant worker status we will be unable to apply for sponsorship for anyone not eligible to work in the UK. At interview, all shortlisted candidates are required to bring with them identification documents and original documents that prove they hold or can obtain the right to work in the UK. You can check your eligibility here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and has played an important role in the development of many new techniques, most notably protein crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, DNA sequencing and monoclonal antibodies. The LMB has a clear goal of understanding biological processes at the molecular level, with the ultimate aim of using this knowledge to tackle specific problems in human health and disease. We aim to tackle difficult, long-term problems, which often require investment over many years.
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
The LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, more information can be found at www.ukri.org
MRC - 6
£20,234 - £21,321 per annum
Technical & Scientific Professionals
To work within a small team, within our Cage Wash area, to deliver essential support services to the MRC LMB Animal Facility located in the Ares Building on the Babraham Research Campus. This Facility in turn, forms part of the larger team known as the Biological Services Group (BSG), whose aim is to support scientific researchers at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB). Specifically to provide animal husbandry for laboratory mice used in medical research.
• Delivery and collection of animal cages to specified area throughout the building
• Processing of dirty water bottles and delivery of clean water bottles for the animal rooms (semi-automated)
• Maintenance and routine cleaning of washing/processing equipment
• Stores duties to include accepting deliveries, moving consumables (such as bedding, diet and enrichment), to the stores area. This includes using a jib-crane to load the bedding totes into the automated systems and decontaminating diet and enrichment before use.
• Laundry duties which include using industrial-sized washers and dryers for the scrubs, over garments and towels used within the Ares building
• Cleaning of service support areas and other communal areas within the barrier, on a rota basis
• Use of forklift truck, pallet trucks and other similar lifting equipment (for which training will be given, if required)
• Operation of automated and semi-automated machinery such as autoclaves which are located in the cage/bottle processing area
• Respond to problems as they arise, seeking advice where appropriate from supervisor or line manager
• Able to correct any minor faults with the robotic cage washing equipment (after training)
• Ensure faulty/damaged equipment is reported urgently to effect rapid replacement/repair
• Unload lorries and replenish diet, bedding dispensers and other stocked items
You will be a member of a small team supervised by a Senior Service Technician under the overall management of the Senior Service Manager.
You will be working closely with Animal Technicians, maintenance staff and other members of the Biological Services Group. You will also interact with delivery drivers when required.
The above lists are not exhaustive and you are required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC
Education / qualifications / training required:
Essential: Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grades 9-4 (A*-C) including Maths and English, or equivalent
Desirable: Holds a current forklift licence
Previous work experience required:
• Experience of working as part of a team and developing strong working relationships
• Experience of working independently
• Demonstrates understanding of maintaining high levels of hygiene to ensure a suitable environment
• Ideally have experience of barriered facilities including Individually Vented Caging systems (IVCs)
• Experience of working in a cage wash facility and/or with automated and/or semi-automated machinery
• Experience in machine maintenance.
Knowledge and experience:
Creativity and initiative
• Must be able to demonstrate a ‘can-do’ approach
• Demonstrates an aptitude for working carefully and safely
• Acts on own initiative, but able to judge when to seek advice
• Excellent time management managing tasks efficiently and on time
• Demonstrates an ability to follow instructions and carry them out with limited supervision
• Familiar with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and safe working practices
• Must understand and be able to explain the importance of wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Verbal and written communication skills
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to form good professional working relationships
• Willingness to receive instruction and work accordingly
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities:
• Needs to be responsible, conscientious and hard-working
• Experience of maintaining high levels of hygiene to ensure a suitable environment
• Understands the routine nature of this role
• Excellent time management and sound interpersonal skills
• Commitment to undertake standard training programs
The MRC is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or the support functions.The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
Data Portal Full Stack Developer , European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) ;, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
About the team/job The team provides data coordination services and data portals for partners around the world. With underlying infrastructure for these services based on EMBLs large and long stan...
Genomics Software Development Project Lead , European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) ;, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
About the team/job We have an opportunity for a Genomics Software Development Project Lead to be assigned to one of two key areas of EMBL-EBI’s genomics portfolio: Agriculture and Biodiversity, o...
Full Stack Software Developer , European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) ;, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
About the team/job The revolution in imaging technologies has led to the need to share, integrate and reuse image data in a comprehensive way. The BioImage Archive, launched in 2019, was made poss...
Project Officer , UK Research Integrity Office ;, United Kingdom, about 9 hours ago
Full Time/Part Time: Full time and part time options are available (0.6FTE to 1.0FTE) Location: UKRIO Office, Croydon, South London Interviews: June 2021 The UK Research Integrity Office (UKRIO) i...
Bioinformatician Gene Structure Annotation , European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) ;, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
About the team/job Working as part of Ensembl Genebuild, you will join a team Bioinformaticians and Developers who are experts in gene structure annotation. As a Bioinformatician in this team yo...
Senior Site Reliability Engineer , European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) ;, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
About the team/job The successful candidate will join the Software Development and Operations team (SDO) at EMBL-EBI which is responsible for bringing new technology into the EBI to improve the se...