View All Vacancies
School of Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: Birmingham, England
Salary: £46,376 to £50,408 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 15 November 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Located in a modern £300m campus in the heart of Birmingham, at the City Centre Campus, the School of Engineering and the Built Environment is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in the growth in our academic portfolio alongside our sustained advancement in research activity, the School continues to be ambitious in its strategic vision and seeks talented individuals to join our team.
We invite applications to join our team in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment. The role will involve delivery of our very well established Building Surveying programmes.
You will join a strong school wide team delivering successful, professionally accredited, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Building Surveying and Facilities Management, utilising well-equipped purpose built facilities. We work in a collaborative and cross disciplinary culture where interacting freely across the school and with colleagues in other schools is encouraged to gain a unique insight into impactful problem domains. We seek an individual capable of teaching and undertaking research aligned to the research activities of the school that cut across engineering and the built environment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing an excellent student experience.
- Acting in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Use appropriate learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Setting and marking of assessments and providing constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Reflective practice as a method for improving performance.
- Participate in outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Pursuing research leading to high quality publications
- Contributing to curriculum development.
- Addressing the pastoral needs of students
- Participating in academic-related administration.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Recent industry or equivalent academic experience
- Applicants should have demonstrated excellent teaching in higher education or have presented regularly to technical audiences in an industry setting.
- Strong digital background with knowledge of relevant industrial standards, technical and software requirements.
- Strong building surveying or similar field, knowledge and some experience of the relevant professional bodies competencies (either RICS or CIOB).
- Potential to develop and sustain externally funded research work
- Ability to teach and supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Demonstrate that research and innovation is informing and improving the curriculum and teaching methods
- Ability to build collaborative internal and external relationships
- Excellent communication skills and experience of successfully working as part of a team
- Subject expertise in the following:
- Building Surveying
- Building Pathology
- One or more of the competencies outlined by either/ or and RICS or CIOB.
- Strong project management background with knowledge of relevant industrial standards and technical requirements
- Track record of successful networking and community management
- Interest in cross disciplinary collaboration
- MRICS or MCIOB established membership
- Working practice/experience of Revit and BIM related software
How to Apply
Applicants should apply by completing their online application, uploading a full CV and a covering letter highlighting your motivation for working with BCU, your areas of expertise and ambitions. Candidates are advised to remove any personal information to ensure a fair and transparent process.
CLOSING DATE FOR ADVERT AND APPLICATIONS IS SUNDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2020
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Birmingham City University are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here .
Associate Dean Research And Enterprise, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 26 days ago
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and the Built Environment Location: Birmingham, City Centre Campus Salary: Competitive Salary Closing Date: Wednesday 25 November 2020 Interview Date: To be c...
Associate Dean Research And Enterprise , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
Location: Birmingham, City Centre Campus Interview Date: To be confirmed Our university has a deserved reputation as a vibrant, ambitious and successful institution. The investment of over £300M ...
Assistant Lecturer/ Lecturer In Psychology (10 Posts) , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Location: Curzon Building Interview Date: To be confirmed Birmingham City University is an ambitious and vibrant institution with an enviable track record of success in research and teaching in Ps...
Senior Lecturer In Non Medical Prescribing , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Interview Date: Thursday 17 December 2020 This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Non-Medical Prescriber to join the Department of Post Qualifying Healthcare Practice, within the School...
Quality Assurance Officer , University of Birmingham ;, United Kingdom, 13 days ago
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full time/part time: Full time Duration: Fixed Term Contract to 30 September 2023 Grade/band: Grade 7 Salary: As this vacancy has limit...
Quality Assurance Officer Cancer Research Uk Clinical Trials Unit 46739 Grade 7, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 4 hours ago
Quality Assurance Officer - Cancer Research UK Clinical Trials Unit - 46739 - Grade 7 - (200002QL) Description Position Details Cancer Research UK Clinical Trials Unit Location: University of Birm...