Here at the world-famous and internationally respected Wellcome Sanger Institute, we have an exciting opportunity for a talented Senior Laboratory Automation Specialist to join the DNA Pipelines team. The DNA Pipelines Operations has a central role in delivering high-quality data to our faculty.
About the Role
As a Senior Laboratory Automation Specialist, you will be joining a team that takes a collaborative approach to project delivery and works in partnership with other groups to deliver strategic goals. You will be responsible for:
- Contributing to a clear strategic vision for all automated workflows in DNA Pipelines and CellOps, ensuring a consistent approach that makes the best use of technology.
- Building a comprehensive understanding of the work being performed in order to identify areas where automation would be beneficial.
- Developing and implementing optimal solutions to lead the improvement of our processes.
- Collaborating with key stakeholders from across the Institute including senior operational management, ensuring end-to-end embedding of processes.
- Building relationships across SciOps and faculty in order to foster new ideas and grow our science.
- Working closely with external collaborators to bring in new technology, ensuring that the Institute keeps pace with the latest developments.
- BSc. (or equivalent) in a biological science or equivalent experience
- Extensive experience in laboratory automation and liquid handling
- Proficient designing and writing complex methods on automated liquid handling platforms (e.g. Hamilton, Agilent Bravo, Tecan, Beckman etc.)
- Ability to work in an independent manner under minimal supervision
- Proven effectiveness as a team player
- Demonstrated track record managing the implementation of complex automated workflows
- Experience in evaluating liquid handling technologies and critically assessing performance against strategic requirements
- Experience in writing reports on project status and critically evaluated KPIs.
- Ability to promote ideas and project success through oral and/or written presentations
- Experience in writing SOPs and risk assessment
- Adaptive and entrepreneurial thinking aimed at process improvement with a track record in initiating concepts and driving them through to completion
- Track record of delivering projects to agreed schedules, budgets and quality standards
- Proven organisational skills with the ability to plan and schedule themselves and others resource
- Effective communicator and influencer with the ability to develop and maintain relationships inside and outside area of expertise
- Experience in integrating automation into laboratory informatics systems
- Strong understanding of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), Long Read Sequencing technologies, & sample preparation
- Experience in automating NGS and Long Read library preparation processes
- Background in automating cell-based assays and/or molecular biological techniques.
- Strong understanding of cell and molecular biology, cell culture techniques, gene editing methods, high throughput screening & sample preparation.
The two divisions relevant to these roles are DNA Pipelines (DNAP) and Cellular Operations (CellOps). DNA Pipelines is a core facility within Scientific Operations (Sci-Ops) at the Wellcome Sanger Institute consisting of multidisciplinary teams. The primary function of DNA Pipelines is to generate high-quality data and resources by translating ambitious experimental ideas into pipelines for our research faculty to deliver the Institute’s scientific goals. In addition to this, DNA Pipelines are collaborating with external organisations to deliver genomic sequences for the world-leading data resource UK Biobank, and supporting public health by taking a leading role in sequencing SARS-CoV-2 genomes in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
CellOps specialises in large scale cell biology research and is continually evolving to meet the changing needs of the Institute. To date the focus has been cell line engineering, cell model derivation and differentiation, whole genome CRISPR screening, Spatial Genomics, management of biological resources and flow cytometry. CellOps have minimal experience in the field of automation and are looking to partner with automation specialists to help reshape how science is delivered at scale.
Postdoctoral Scientist Cell Biology Dr Buzz Baum Lmb 1871 , Medical Research Council, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
View Vacancy -- Postdoctoral Scientist - Cell Biology - Dr Buzz Baum - LMB 1871 Open Date 21/06/2022, 09:00 Close Date 19/07/2022, 23:55 Research Institute MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology Re...
Research Associate Mechanochemistry In Biology (Fixed Term) , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 36 months in the first instance. Applications are invited for a post-doctoral research associate to join the group of Professor Melinda Duer a...
Research Associate Dna Replication Dynamics In The Human Malaria Parasite Plasmodium Falciparum (Fixed Term) , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
A postdoctoral research position has become available in the laboratory of Dr Catherine Merrick, working on an ERC-funded project to study DNA replication in Plasmodium. The post will be availabl...
Research Associate, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
Applications are invited for a Post-Doctoral Research Associate position to be based in the University of Cambridge, Department of Biochemistry, central Cambridge, working in the laboratory of Pro...
Head Of Cellular Generation, Wellcome Sanger Institute, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented scientific leader to support the Cellular Generation team here at the Sanger Institute. Your remit will be to deliver multiple diverse cell biolog...
Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
Applications are invited for a Senior Research Associate/Research Associate position to be based in the University of Cambridge, Department of Biochemistry, central Cambridge, working in the labor...