Computing and Information Services
Grade 8: - £43,414 to £51,805 per annum
Open-Ended/Permanent - Full Time
Contracted Hours per Week: 35
Closing Date: 16-Nov-2022, 7:59:00 AM
At Durham University we are proud of our people. A globally outstanding centre of educational excellence, a collegiate community of extraordinary people, a unique and historic setting – Durham is a university like no other. We believe that inspiring our people to do outstanding things at Durham enables Durham people to do outstanding things professionally and personally.
Across the University we have a huge variety of roles and career opportunities, which together make us a large and successful community, which is a key hub of activity within our region and nationally. We would be thrilled if you would consider joining our thriving University.
Further information about the University can be found here
The Role and Department
The role has responsibility for IT Service Asset Management and is part of the Service Management team, which underpins the delivery of customer focused services supported by efficient processes and measurable service level agreements.
This will involve working with colleagues across the University to ensure the University is making the most effective use of its service assets that deliver IT services and providing management information to help make informed decisions. This will include vendor management, annual contract review/renewal, budget forecasting and sensitivity analyses for hardware and software assets; ensuring that processes are followed and that relevant reporting and documentation is in place.
The role will contribute to the design and ongoing roadmap of the IT Service Management toolset to ensure that IT Service Asset Management is represented and the associated processes and procedures are correctly used.
The role requires an appreciation of ITIL V4 framework and lifecycle, a passion for process compliance, excellent engagement and communication skills, ability to motivate and coach staff along with a drive to ensure that IT service disruption is minimised at all times and that key business critical periods are protected.
There is an opportunity for hybrid working in this role, a mixture of on-site and remote working as required to meet business needs.
Further information about the role and the responsibilities is at the bottom of this job description.
Working at Durham
A competitive salary is only one part of the many fantastic benefits you will receive if you join the University: you will also receive access to the following fantastic benefits:
- 30 Days annual leave per year in addition to 8 public holidays and 4 customary days per year – a total of 42 days per year.
- The University closes between Christmas and New Year.
- We offer a generous pension scheme, as a new member of staff you will be automatically enrolled into this University Superannuation Scheme (USS) which the University will add contributions of 21.4%.
- No matter how you travel to work, we have you covered. We have parking across campus, a cycle to work scheme which helps you to buy a bike and discount with local bus and train companies.
- There is a genuine commitment to developing our colleagues professionally and personally. There is a comprehensive range of development courses, apprenticeships and access to qualifications and routes to develop your career in the University. All staff have dedicated annual time to concentrate on their personal development opportunities.
- Lots of support for health and wellbeing including discounted membership for our state of the art sport and gym facilities and access to a 24-7 Employee Assistance Programme.
- On site nursery is available and children’s clubs in the summer holidays.
- Family friendly policies, including maternity and adoption leave, which are among the most generous in the higher education sector (and likely above and beyond many employers).
- The opportunity to take part in staff volunteering activities to make a difference in the local community
- Discounts are available via our benefits portal including; money off at supermarkets, high street retailers, IT products such as Apple, the cinema and days out at various attractions.
- A salary sacrifice scheme is also available to help you take advantage of tax savings on benefits.
- If you are moving to Durham, we can help with removal costs and we have a dedicated team who can help you with the practicalities such as house hunting and schools. If you need a visa, we cover most visa costs and offer an interest free loan scheme to pay for dependant visas.
Durham University is committed to equality, diversity, inclusion and values
Our collective aim is to create an open and inclusive environment where everyone can reach their full potential and we believe our staff should reflect the diversity of the global community in which we work.
As a University equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are a key part of the University’s Strategy and a central part of everything we do. We also live by our values and our Staff Code of Conduct. At Durham we actively work towards providing an environment where our staff and students can study, work and live in a community which is supportive and inclusive. It’s important to us that all of our colleagues are aligned to both our values and commitment to EDI.
We welcome and encourage applications from members of groups who are under-represented in our work force including people with disabilities, women and black, Asian and minority ethnic communities. If you have taken time out of your career, and you feel it relevant, let us know about it in your application. If you are a candidate with a disability, we are committed to ensuring fair treatment throughout the recruitment process. We will make adjustments to support the interview process wherever it is reasonable to do so and, where successful, reasonable adjustments will be made to support people within their role
When you apply it is important that you let us know what skills/experience you have from a similar role and/or what skills/experience you have which would make you right for this role. Further information about the role and responsibilities is at the end of this job description.
Where a criterion has an asterisk* next to it, it may be given additional weighting when your application is considered. Your application should cover the following criteria:
What you need to demonstrate when you apply/Person Specification
How to apply
While some criteria will be considered at the shortlisting stage, other criteria may be considered later in the assessment process, such as questions at interview.
Submitting your application
We prefer to receive applications online. We will update you about your application at various points throughout the selection process, via automated emails from our e-recruitment system. Please check your spam/junk folder periodically to make sure you have not missed any of our updates.
What you need to submit
- A CV: and
- A supporting statement which outlines how you meet all of the criteria within the Person Specification.
Further information about the role
- Responsible for operational activity across IT Service Asset Management.
- Oversight of short term or temporary project teams/strands for IT Service Asset Management, taking responsibility for decision making as appropriate.
- Lead on the design, implementation and monitoring of policy and quality standards, procedures and systems ensuring effective working and continuous improvement of IT Service Asset Management.
- Ensure all IT Service Asset Management activities, processes and transactions are accounted for accurately and promptly to meet regulatory and professional service and policy standards.
- Produce communications for reporting purposes, designing and structuring information and fact, applying creative and innovative principles to influence and engage.
- Deliver professional expertise with investigative and service methodologies, make recommendations and identify priorities to develop business plans and achieve business outcomes and objectives.
- Maintain an oversight of the service and performance metrics to provide reports for higher level managers and committees.
- Responsible for allocating and monitoring financial budgets and resources as required.
- Manage quality and regulatory audit process for IT Service Management over-arching systems and procedures.
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and the University’s values.
Planning and Organising
- Significant input into the scoping and resource planning for IT Service Asset Management across a range of activities at operational and possibly strategic level.
- Carry out project scoping, initiation, planning and implementation for large scale/University wide IT Service Asset Management initiatives.
- Promote the improvement and efficiency of departmental services by implementing and managing review and improvement procedures for IT Service Asset Management.
- Implement processes to manage the integrity and security of all commercially and professionally sensitive and personal data within IT Service Asset Management.
- Work with team members and stakeholders to build and maintain excellent working relationships.
- Contribute to operational leadership teams and decision making to shape the nature and level of IT Service Management services.
- Engage with key stakeholders and internal and external contractors to influence opinion, delivery and reputation of services through IT Service Asset Management.
- Responsible for shaping the development and learning of others outside of team, through the design and delivery of training sessions for IT Service Asset Management.
- Lead internal business meetings, working groups and sub-committees at operational service level to influence governance, organisational policy and standards for the service.
- Represent the service and University at promotional events and contribute to the delivery of presentations at conferences.
- Develop external relations, identify and develop opportunities for communities of practice .
Knowledge and Experience
- Provide expert professional subject expertise and problem-solving skills.
- Act as recognised professional practitioner in Service Asset Management, managing the full software lifecycle through a variety of channels including external vendor portals.
- Act as specialist point of contact for IT Service Asset Management, dealing with complexity of data and information sources, interpretation and analysis.
- Promote and develop a deep understanding of organisational policy and external developments and the potential impacts on IT Service Asset Management.
- Lead and deliver IT Service Asset Management support initiatives that would apply across the University.
- Distribute software licensing and usage information and provide advice to stakeholders regarding compliance and regulations.
- Ensure regulations and procedures are updated to take account of internal and external changes, including software licensing terms and conditions.
- Deliver professional Service Asset Management expertise with investigative and service methodologies, make recommendations and identify priorities to develop business plans and achieve business outcomes and objectives
- Work in conjunction with other University departments including the Legal, Human Resources, Student Services and Data Protection Offices, to ensure services purchased for the University are fit for purpose and legally compliant.
- Maintain libraries or other storage areas to hold configuration items and hold master copies of software.
- Work in conjunction with the University Procurement Service to negotiate best terms for software purchases, covering costs, warranty and maintenance ensuring best value for money.
- Manage core software licences and provision, including vendor management.
- Provide a software licence and asset management service, rationalising software where it is appropriate to do so, and ensuring that software is procured and deployed in a cost-effective manner and in conformance with current governance and compliance criteria.
- Any other reasonable duties.
Please note that in submitting your application Durham University will be processing your data. We would ask you to consider the relevant University Privacy Statement https://www.dur.ac.uk/ig/dp/privacy/pnjobapplicants/ which provides information on the collation, storing and use of data.
DBS Requirement: Please note that the succesful applicant will require DBS disclosure.
Building Surveyor, Durham University, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
Building Surveyor ( Job Number: 23000140) Estates and Facilities Grade 7: - £35,333 - £42,155 per annum, with the potential of a market supplement Open-Ended/Permanent - Full Time Contracted Hours...
Senior Technical Analyst (Datacentres), Durham University, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
Senior Technical Analyst (Datacentres) ( Job Number: 22002021) Computing and Information Services Grade 6: - £27,929 - £34,308 per annum Open-Ended/Permanent - Full Time Contracted Hours per Week:...
Senior Manager: World Heritage Site, Durham University, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
Senior Manager: World Heritage Site ( Job Number: 22002100) Library Grade 8: - £43,414 - £51,805 per annum Open-Ended/Permanent - Full Time Contracted Hours per Week: 35 Closing Date : 05-Mar-202...
Learning And Teaching Coordinator (Executive Education), Durham University, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
Learning and Teaching Coordinator (Executive Education) ( Job Number: 22001971) Faculty of Business Grade 5: - £24,285 - 27,131 per annum Fixed Term - Full Time Contract Duration: 26 months Contra...
Maintenance Builder, Durham University, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
Maintenance Builder ( Job Number: 22002164) Estates and Facilities Grade 5: - £24,285 - £27,131 per annum Open-Ended/Permanent - Full Time Contracted Hours per Week: 35 Closing Date : 28-Feb-2023,...
Production Editor, Antiquity, Durham University, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
Production Editor, Antiquity ( Job Number: 23000037) Department of Archaeology Grade 5: - £24,285 - £27,131 per annum Fixed Term - Full Time Contracted Hours per Week: 35 Working Arrangements: Wor...