Salary: £32,005 - £35,143 pa, plus up to a £4,000 annual allowance (depending on experience)
Location: Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
Contract Type: Permanent
We are seeking an enthusiastic Cryo-Electron Microscopy expert to provide scientific and technical support for the Glacios cryo-electron microscope located at eBIC, Diamond Light Source.
Do you have:
- A relevant scientific degree and / or a PhD in a relevant subject such as; biophysics/physics/material sciences/engineering/a related discipline or proven relevant experience.
- Experience running and maintaining electron microscopes, preferably in a research environment
- Experience with operating an electron microscope and working with biological samples
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix and experience with image processing
The Research Complex at Harwell is a joint initiative of the Research Councils (BBSRC, EPSRC, MRC, NERC and STFC) and the Diamond Light Source, to provide a state-of-the-art multidisciplinary research laboratory on the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) site.
Research Complex is a world-class science-led national resource with a mission to enable and add value to outstanding new science that benefits, and benefits from, the UK’s large-scale facilities at RAL. Many major advances in science take place at the boundaries between the traditional disciplines, and increasingly utilise advanced technologies available at centralised facilities.
Main duties include:
- Provide operational support for the electron microscopes
- Train and support on cryo-electron microscopy for short and long term Research Complex users
- Providing specialist technical/scientific advice and assistance to Research Complex users with sample preparation procedures and protocol
- Provide maintenance and calibration of the cryo-EM equipment
- Ensure (in cooperation with eBIC) that the cryo-EM facility meets current safety standards
- Perform microscope analysis and image processing, such as for example serialEM software analysis
We are offering a permanent position that provides a whole host of family friendly benefits including; 30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance.
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
How to apply:
For full details of this post view: https://mrc.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/brand-3/candidate/so/pm/4/pl/1/opp/1516-Scientific-Specialist-in-Cryo-Electron-Microscopy-RCaH-1516/en-GB to complete an online application.
Closing Date: 11th April 2021
Laboratory Technician Mlc 1530 , Medical Research Council, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
View Vacancy -- Laboratory Technician - MLC 1530 Open Date 06/04/2021, 17:00 Close Date 25/04/2021, 23:55 Research Institute MRC Mary Lyon Centre Research Institute / Unit Information MRC Harwel...
Laboratory Technician In Membrane Protein Research (Part Time), University of Oxford, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
We are seeking to appoint a Part Time Laboratory Technician, to support the research group of Associate Prof. Maike Bublitz. The laboratory aims to understand the structure and function of various...
Laboratory Technician, Oxford Brookes University, United Kingdom, about 16 hours ago
The Sunter group in the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences is looking to fill the vacancy of Research Scientist for our Wellcome Trust funded Collaborative research project. This will use an exci...
Health And Safety Assistant Mgu 1555 , Medical Research Council, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
View Vacancy -- Health and Safety Assistant - MGU 1555 Open Date 30/04/2021, 09:00 Close Date 31/05/2021, 23:55 Research Institute MRC Harwell Institute Research Institute / Unit Information MRC...
Health And Safety Assistant Mgu 1559 , Medical Research Council, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
View Vacancy -- Health and Safety Assistant - MGU 1559 Open Date 30/04/2021, 09:00 Close Date 31/05/2021, 23:55 Research Institute MRC Harwell Institute Research Institute / Unit Information MRC...
Researcher, The Oxford Martin Programme On The Future Of Development, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
The Oxford Martin Programme on The Future of Development at the University of Oxford is building an exceptional, effective and collaborative research team to improve livelihoods and contribute to ...